Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality metal detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 02-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Default How to use pinpointer?

I don't have one, but I've been curious - how is it used?

When I hunt, I dig a hole, pushing the first three inches or so to one side, and the rest to the other. If I can't see what I'm looking for, I run the detector over each pile. If one pile lights up the MD and the hole doesn't, then my target is in that pile.

How precise are pinpointers? Or do they just tell you if the target is still in the hole?

I also have a small coil (Bounty Hunter Gold Digger), so I think that helps be more specific.

Just curious! Thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM

Default Pinpointers are

Superb.
I just recived my GArrett Pro Pointer with an ACE 250 on the way...
ANd ALready I can see the benefits...
Youtube Videos and you'll see what I mean.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

They save you a lot of time recovering targets ,first you find a signal with your detector ,second you pin point its location using your detector ,than you dig a plug and use your detector to scan it if it is there ,use your pin pointer to find it
by going throe that plug with it ,if it is not there put your pin pointer in the hole to see where the target is if you don't get the signal with your pin pointer ,but your detector shows that target is in the hole dig dipper than check again with pin pointer.I use Garrett Pro pointer and it is great.HH

Old 02-10-2010, 09:06 PM

If you hit a small piece of copper scrap you sometimes would go nuts trying to find it without one...then wonder !!! it was. You will know what I mean when you battery goes dead on a hunt

Old 02-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Elite Member

If you hunt in sand or on a beach it will be your best friend. Wet sand will cover your find and make it a nightmare to find unless you have a PP. At least in my case that is.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Elite Member

As Olds Digger said, they're really handy for small targets. Typically they only read about an inch out, but that's what helps when you're on your hands and knees digging. There's been times I didn't have one with me, and I'd go nuts (very impatient, sometimes!) Curt

Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM

Smile

Garrett pin pointer..Worth its weight in silver when there was 22 caliber target practice in the area.Thay are usually on top and the main target.Wiggle the Garrett and you have the little beastie..Most of the masked material below is clad, but silver lurks there as well. Excellent for pinpointing recently lost jewelry on soccer fields.Has saved plenty of time. Stealing a commercial,,Don't leave home without one. Cordially Nad