Tesoro Compadre

CanMan

I already have a Prizm III and a Ace 250 .I have been reading a lot about the Tesoro machines .Will the Compadre be any comparasion to the 2 machines I already have or will the Compadre leave the other 2 laying in the closet?

Don't know where you have been hearing about Tesoro detectors, no-one around here mentions them :giggle:.I would say it will only leave the other two in the dust when it comes to finding the lower conductive items such as jewelry,especially the small pieces, more than likely it won't have quite the depth of the Prizm & the Ace. The Compadre uses what Tesoro calls a ED-180 discrimination, which basically means that you can have it in discrimination mode and be able to turn the disc. way down to just knock out iron and pick up things as small as ear ring backs for example. Tabdog (a member on the forum) uses a Compadre alot and does real well with it, hopefully he will jump in, if not give him a shout he is a super good guy. Steve.

One more thing I almost forgot about the Compadre, the newer Compadre's use a small 5.75" inch coil which is smaller than most stock coils & makes for getting the goods in between the junk better. The older Compadre's used a 7" coil. The Compadre coil is hard wired so you can not change coils.

Here are some reviews on the Compadre http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/31-1-tesorocompadre.html

I had a compadre and it was a fine machine. I got tired of turning the disc knob for target id. So I went basically "beep dig" with the compadre. I found that I missed the notch discrimination of the Ace 250. I mean beep dig is ok when you have all day to dig everything. But for me it's better to be able to disc out targets in high trash areas or simply when running out of time to hunt. Plus with a machine with target id you have your choice to "beep dig" if you want. The Ace 250 will find very tiny targets so don't think your not going to get earing backs and such with it. I suggest if your leaning toward the compadre step up to the silver uMax. Lot's more features for a little more money. Plus you can change the coil.

Would the silver umax be a nice upgrade from the 2 machines I already have or would all three be about the same.Well the reading that i have done talks about the depth of the Tesoro's.When I bought my ace they had a Cibola .I looked at it for a good while before I layed it back down and purchased the Ace250 . The Tesoro was like holding a feather and the control box was so small.The Ace had a display I guess that is what made up my mine then, but know I do not even look at the display .Just get my machine and go have fun with . Suggestions please on a Tesoro.

If you are interested in a no display, inexpensive detector with decent depth, I doubt you will be disappointed with a Silver umax. I haven't owned one but have a similar Cutlass II umax and love the simplicity and performance. I normally see nothing but praise from Tesoro owners about the Silver and frequently see posts from former owners who got rid of theirs for a more expensive machine with all the bells and whistles and later regretted their decision. Many call it the best of the less expensive Tesoro detectors.

Will it be a noticeable upgrade from the Ace 250? Not sure but depending on your local conditions- it may get you a couple more inches in depth. I am guessing that it will not be a big difference.

"Diggler", here on the forum has used several different coils on his. He may be another one to talk to. (besides SkiWhiz of course)

I can only comment on the Silver Umax, and I have to say that it is right there with my Ace 250 and I thought that was just as cool as sliced bread. I love my Ace 250 and I love my Umax even more. I got really good depth with it, I am able to turn the sens on every unit I have all the way up, and I run full blast with the umax and I have found lots of silver with it, most at about 6 to 7 inches. I have found deeper junk with it also. I love mine. So I don't think you can go wrong with it, unless you could spend more and get a Cibola, I was going to buy one but the deal fell through. I hear they are great unit's also.

My girlfriend and I shared a borrowed compadre this entire detecting season. I just bought her a silver umax a few days ago, and ordered a vaquero for myself as well, that should be here in a day or two. But it will be a sad thing when we give the borrowed compadre back to it's rightful owner. It is an amazing little coin magnet, I'm thinking about buying one just to keep in the car for impromtu hunts. I'm not sure of the performance of the machines you own versus it, but I doubt anything out there in the $150 range can touch the compadre. If the one we borrowed had been one we bought, then I'd never sell it.
The silver has been a great machine as well, Patti has found quite a few items in the past 2 days of using it. The learning curve is pretty quick, she nailed lots of neat stuff including a silver bracelet I lost in my own back yard over ten years ago. And I've been pounding the tiny yard with the compadre all year.
I guess the bottom line is that the silver has interchangeable coils, and a sensitivity adjustment / pinpoint / all metal feature, which the compadre does not. Photo is of finds by Patti during her first 24 hours of owning the Silver Umax. Dug Junk not shown:lol: I did just as well with the ol' compadre.

Either one is low priced, light, simple to use and easy to stow away. And plenty capable of finding the goods.

Attachments

• mdxmas 045.jpg
    mdxmas 045.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 6,470
Very encouraging words,DigDug. I just bought a tesoro compadre about a week ago and have been very frustrated, I guess I need to learn how and when to turn the dang knob for discriminating, ya think? Of course the ground is frozen hard here in southwest Idaho and I have resorted to detecting the dirt floor of an old garage,so am finding ALL kinds of junk now matter how far I turn the knob. Suggestions?

Very encouraging words,DigDug. I just bought a tesoro compadre about a week ago and have been very frustrated, I guess I need to learn how and when to turn the dang knob for discriminating, ya think? Of course the ground is frozen hard here in southwest Idaho and I have resorted to detecting the dirt floor of an old garage,so am finding ALL kinds of junk now matter how far I turn the knob. Suggestions?

I found over 3.000 coins with my new Compadre this year, mainly on the beach. Mine has a 8" wired coil.

It is a far better detector than the ace when trashy sites are concerned. It is faster to recover, and you shouldn't sweep too fast.

If during a sweep, you hear just a chirp, come back above it, you might then get a clear two-ways signal.

The Compadre might lack a bit of "power" but is tuned for most hunting conditions (except wet salt sand) but it is a very capable, and very subtle detector.

HH

We ran the compadre with the discrimination way up all year, around nickel or pull tab, until some "tesoroheads" here on the forum told us to run in "all metal" or with the disc just above iron if we wanted gold. The next day we went out, followed the advice, and found a 14k gold pendant.:lol: Never underestimate the advice of detectorists that use the same machine as you!:gottaluv: Now that we have two machines of our own, a silver umax and a vaquero, patti runs the umax with a lower disc setting searching for gold, while I generally coinshoot, and run my disc higher on the Vaquero. We're both still learning the machines, only had them for a month or two. It takes time and patience to learn the new machine, keep at it and you'll get used to it. It takes lots of digging, no matter what brand of machine you've got!

Ground is rock solid here too - I went out in the back yard and tried to dig a target yesterday, and could not get the quite sharp digging tool into the turf even a millimeter.:cold:

I already have a Prizm III and a Ace 250 .I have been reading a lot about the Tesoro machines .Will the Compadre be any comparasion to the 2 machines I already have or will the Compadre leave the other 2 laying in the closet?
I have a Silver umax AND an Ace 250. I'm happy with both-BUT-since the price of gold is so high and due to the fact that gold ID's all over the the different ranges of the scale-it is a total waste of time to use anything but the Silver since it pinpoints so quickly-just like the Compadre. Having said that, I love the Ace in new places with quite a bit of junk-the machine makes coinhunting fun. I choose which detector I'm gonna use by my schedule. If I only have about an hour-it's the Ace because of the ID. Otherwise, the Tesoro is the choice and sometimes it's just hard to explain to somebody whose never owned one about the qualities like fast response, tonal qualities and quirks that make up for no ID.

Hopefully in addition to what the others wrote, here are some added comments.

One thing about Tesoro machines is they usually lose little depth in the ground. This is the sign of quality. Cheap machines can sometimes air test a long way but are duds in the soil.

The new Compadre comes with a 5.75" round concentric coil which is great for tiny objects. Of course it also detects the large ones too.

The Compadre isn't as deep on coins as the Silver uMax only because the Silver comes with an 8" coil. If the Silver came with a 5.75 coil they'd be the same in depth.

But again, the Compadre is probably a little more sensitive to very small gold, etc.

They made the Compadre with a wired on coil. This can be a blessing or a curse; it depends how you look at it.

If you want a bigger coil for more ground coverage (and maybe an inch more depth) you're screwed. However, one of the first places a detector fails is at the coil plug that goes into the detector control box. Dirt and wear in these plugs can cause all sorts of problems.

If a $150 Tesoro is what you want I'd look for a good used Silver uMax. I've seen some recently for $160 shipped.

Badger

Compadre on wet surfaces

What's the Compadre like on wet surfaces: grass, mud/dirt?

I understand it does not do wet salty sand. But what about dry sand like a beach?

Can I make the Compadre waterproof? Is the coil waterproof?

What can I expect metal detecting in snow with the Compadre?

What's the Compadre like on wet surfaces: grass, mud/dirt?

Just like normal...GREAT!

I understand it does not do wet salty sand. But what about dry sand like a beach?

Should be fine.

Can I make the Compadre waterproof? Is the coil waterproof?

Put the box in a waterproof case like an otter box..yes
The coil is waterproof.

What can I expect metal detecting in snow with the Compadre?

To be cold!

I tried my Compadre in the wet sand over at Seaside Heights and while it was a little chattery, it still performed surprisingly well. Definitely need headphones for that kind of hunting though.

I tried my Compadre in the wet sand over at Seaside Heights and while it was a little chattery, it still performed surprisingly well. Definitely need headphones for that kind of hunting though.

Yup, Compadre not really a wet sand hunter. On dry sand it's as good as anything on the market, maybe better than most. I use it to hunt access paths. Great bling finder!

I know that all the discussion about Tesoros is cool and all that, but why are you guys posting on a thread that's two years old? :?:

Back
Top Bottom