Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Hollands Brook Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Moved On

Default the garret freedom ace plus

when i went to rent a detector, instead of getting a gti 2500 i dreamed about, i get a wimpy garret freedom ace plus. so here is my review of it

there is no battery door, instead of sliding a door off and putting fresh batteries in, you have to take the face plate off, and it doesnt take 4 AA, it doesnt take one nine volt..... it takes 3nine volts! never in my life have i seen a detector that runs off 27 volts!!

the stem and handle is a good design, it took 3 hours of swinging to wear me out.

the overall look is basic. two knobs, and a headphone jack

it had a crossfire supreme deep seeker, i dont know if that would be a stock coil or not

so i fire it up at the park

the so called "trash eliminator" which is a basic discriminator, doesnt work the greatest, i had it cranked up all the way and i was still getting screwcaps, and other aluminum junk.

in 3 hours i found 2 newer quarters, a dime, and two pennys, whooo-weee.

the coil was !!!!, i bumped it one with my foot walking, and it cracked, and i steped on it once, and it cracked again, really cheap plastic.

overall im not impressed, but i dont think this is a fancy detector in many means, i would compare it to a bounty hunter fast tracker.

NOW my question is, how deep is this detector agasint an ace 250?

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

Default Dude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detecto View Post
... it takes 3nine volts! never in my life have i seen a detector that runs off 27 volts!!
I would say the batteries are wired in parallel.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Elite Member

the garrett freedom series detectors are great detectors! I dont recall ever using the freedom ace but have used the freedom 3 plus. are you sure your where using the "trash elim" correctly? if I recall correctly it has a sort of dual disc and the second disc{trash eliminator} is not engaged until you pull the trigger{which is just a nub under the handle} so basically you set your first disc to lets say the 2nd bar or so which would disc out small iron then you set your trash eliminator to lets say bottle caps..when you get signal you pull the trigger and sweep over the target if the target nulls out or disappears you know the target is below what a bottle cap would be disced out{possible a pull tab,foil,iron or maybe even gold}
as far as the coil cracking it sounds like a major case of dry rot..being a rental machine I bet it wasnt in the best of shape and probably not well taken care of.

Last edited by RelicHound; 08-05-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Elite Member

"NOW my question is, how deep is this detector agasint an ace 250?"

depends on how each one is set up and what type of ground you are hunting.
I think you are focusing to much on the depth capability of any givin machine. you will never get a reliable answer to this question..there are to many things that come into play when talking about the depth a machine is capable of.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Moved On

the freedom ace is an old two knober made from 90-95
it doesnt have dual disc.
i had the trash eliminator cranked all the way up, and was still getting trash, but i think if its a big popcan or something it will shine through anyways

Old 08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Elite Member

Good Lord Detecto don't let my wife read your post. The Garrett Freedom Ace is the only detector she will use (I have tried to pry it out of her hands and couldn't). She does extremely well with it. I find it to have better than average discrimination. I better turn the page before my wife sneaks in . Steve.

cell phone # or to send text (315)-528-6709
Friendly Metal Detecting Forum Sponsor

Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
the freedom ace is an old two knober made from 90-95
it doesnt have dual disc.
i had the trash eliminator cranked all the way up, and was still getting trash, but i think if its a big popcan or something it will shine through anyways
Quote - but i think if its a big popcan or something it will shine through anyways.

Name me a detector where this doesn't happen. If you could disc. out a pop can you wouldn't be finding anything. Steve.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randwool View Post
I would say the batteries are wired in parallel.
Either that or a voltage regulator or both.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 PM

I've got a crossfire coil on my Garrett GTAx 550 and it's never broken down on me. Used it all over, thick grass/brambles, forest floor, rocky river shores, etc.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:15 PM

I recommend not stepping on the coil.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Moved On

the minelab xterra 305 which is out of my price range, unless one can be found used, has an overload which prevents large pop cans from coming in

however, screwtops, which are coin size, cannot be told apart

Old 08-07-2009, 03:17 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
the minelab xterra 305 which is out of my price range, unless one can be found used, has an overload which prevents large pop cans from coming in

however, screwtops, which are coin size, cannot be told apart
they will still come through. on some machines you can notch out the high VDI readings but then you'll be screwing yourself out of some good finds. silver dollars and alot of times when a detector incounters a deep target it can not ID it will come in close to the same VDI as a pop can.
when you get an "over load" your machine is just telling you there is a very large or very shallow target under the coil. screw caps will come in as coins because of there size and shape..but there is almost always enough info givin to where you'll know if its a coin or screw cap.
with a none ID machine your pretty much SOL until you learn the subtle signs. a good way to tell if the signal you are getting is a pop can or not is to raise your coil shin to knee high and if your still picking it up you know its a large target. and with bottle caps you will hear a slight difference in tone to your signal..even with non tone ID you can still hear it..but if you pass those signals up you may be passing up large gold or an indian head cent.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:19 PM

Good information thank! - I was thinking about bidding on one of these on Ebay as a detector to keep around when grand kids show up.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

I still have my Freedom Ace Plus I bought new in 1993. Fantastic detector that I use as a backup or loaner. Have found lots of treasure with mine in 21 years.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:44 PM

I had the Freedom 2 Plus, and that had the dual discriminator, with the toggle switch (sound familiar Tejon users?). It was a great detector. In my opinion, the last good Garrett I ever owned.

Dan