Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 06-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Default Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus

Hi, I really need to upgrade my metal detector (I'm using my dad's 15-20 yr old detector) and was wondering if anyone had or knew anything about the Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus. I search on old properties in upstate NY mainly for old coins, but anything else like jewelry or relics would interesting too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Totals: 1 Large Cent | 20 IHs | 35 Wheaties | 1 V Nickel | 1 Bust Dime | 1 Merc | 3 Rosies| 1 Washington | 2 Morgan Dollars| Clad: $12.65 | Oldest Coin: 1820 Bust Dime

Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

I used to own 2 of them. It goes deep and it's easy to pin-point with.

I liked the dual analog discrimination controls (one for ferrous and one for non-ferrous items.)

The batteries seemed to last a long time.

If I remember correctly, you can hook a two-box coil to it. (I never did this.)

But there where a few things I didn't like about it.

It's too heavy. It takes 6 'C' batteries. Even without the batteries - it's heavy.

The handle feels awkward to me. (Some folks like the design; it allows you to just twist your wrist from side to side instead of swinging your whole arm.) I found it more comfortable with the elbow brace.

Tesoro Umax Silver
I must be swing'n the wrong end.