Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   TreasureMntDetectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Exclamation Where could you metal Detect in Texas?

I live in central Texas. (Austin). And i wanted to know some places that i could metal detect at. It really stinks that you can't md in state parks.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

Best thing to do is contact your city/town parks and rec dept and ask them. Some cities in TX require permits and will allow MDing in city parks and whatnot. Others, don't, it's kind of hit or miss in TX.

When I visit my parents in Granbury, TX... I detect the city man made beach, and schools and parks no problem. But I also have in writing from the parks and rec that it is okay unless anyone stops me.

US Army - OIF/OEF Vet

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM

I know that the city of Austin prohibits the use of metal detectors, which sux. I know that you can detect at Canyon Lake. Corps of Engineer lakes are cool to detect at. Yeah, sux that Texas state parks are off limits. I see that you're a ways from the coast, but most of it is cool to detect at(except for the National Seashore and state parks, of course). Now, since most of the land in Texas is privately owned, there is a vast amount of land to detect if you politely ask the land owner if you can simply do some hobby detecting without damaging the property. You'd be surprised how many people are cool with it. If they say no, what have you got to loose? Just move on to the next property. DO YOUR RESEARCHSee where people use to congregate, etc. Best of luck to ya'. Let us know how it goes. Happy Hunting!

Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM

How would i contact the city/park ordinace? would i just look on the web for their number, and ask if i can metal detect in one spot.

Is it like a search warrant? Where i can only look in this one spot, for a few things that i need to tell them i'm trying to find.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Elite Member

Default Hey Abc

It all depends on what you want to find...If you want clad/current coins and poss. jewelry try school football/sports areas, parks, anyplace that people congregate .For old coins and jewelry try older homes,schools and churches and research old maps for buildings and parks that are no longer there, even ghost towns. I hunt alot of old parks,schools and churches...Good Luck....Tom

Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcgonz View Post
How would i contact the city/park ordinace? would i just look on the web for their number, and ask if i can metal detect in one spot.

Is it like a search warrant? Where i can only look in this one spot, for a few things that i need to tell them i'm trying to find.
I went online and emailed the Granbury parks and rec guy, he got back to me in like 2 days.

US Army - OIF/OEF Vet

Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 AM

Really? that quick i was expecting a response a few weeks later. WOW, thats cool, i've never done that sort of thing, i think i will now.