Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 08-09-2022, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

Default Back in the Saddle

Sorry, I haven't posted pics of any finds on here for quite some time. The family went on vacation both the first and last weeks of July, so no detecting during that time. Also, as of the middle of June, Central Iowa decided to go hot and dry like much of the rest of the Country. Due to that, I stopped hunting my older spots looking for the old goodies and concentrated on tot lots/sand volleyball courts/the local freshwater beach (dry sand)/and shallow clad in the local parks.

Well, yesterday I'd had enough of the clad/bling hunting and went back to one of my parks that has produced so well in the past, but also one I've hammered. I was lucky enough to pull a 1913 barber dime, a 1909 IHP (no, not the S variety), and a 1917 green wheaty. They were all in an area I hadn't concentrated on in the past because it's by the main road and looks like the earth has been reworked over the years due to road resurfacing. I was finding gravel, concrete, etc each time I dug which caused me to "kiss" the barber with my lesche Oh well, at least I got what I went looking for.

I'm posting three pics of all the bling I've been finding over the last six weeks as well. I've been lucky enough to pull seven pieces of silver and some nice bling rings/necklaces. Also, due to concentrating on clad/bling, my clad count so far this year is $163 compared to a total of $130 for all of 2021. Enjoy and best of luck out there!

P.S. Can you see the Barber in the peakaboo pic?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2022, 07:34 PM
Supporter

Very nice finds, Silverhorse! That Barber still looks great, congrats on the IHP and Wheatie and all the jewelry!

Old 08-10-2022, 06:11 PM
Elite Member

That sounds like a nice park. Nice finds!

Old 08-10-2022, 08:14 PM
Supporter

Nice verity of finds...congrats!

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36; 2021 FTY Clad: $1,496.91. Most coin amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103 (2Xs); Nickels-53. 2022 FTY Silvers: 27

Old 08-10-2022, 10:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
Very nice finds, Silverhorse! That Barber still looks great, congrats on the IHP and Wheatie and all the jewelry!
Thanks Shiny, it's been fun getting out there, even in the heat.

Originally Posted by MasonDixonMding View post
That sounds like a nice park. Nice finds!
Yes, that park has treated me quite well. It's real small and has no tot lot/swings/slide etc. Just old trees, grass, and a park bench. I think that's why it probably wasn't hit hard before I found it.

Originally Posted by Leave-No-Coins-Behind View post
Nice verity of finds...congrats!
Thank you, I've been using my Nox 600 the way I used my Fisher F22 during my first year and a half of detecting. Trying to hone in more on the jewelry rather than just the clad though.

Old 08-11-2022, 12:18 AM

Silverhorse65... Nice finds. I know what you mean about the summer having been so hot and dry, neighbor! Same here in Missouri too. Ugh!