Opinion on this "dug" colonial shoe buckle. Update, it's a fake find!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
What's you opinion on this "dug" colonial shoe buckle? Seems WAY too shiny and tarnish free to have been dug.

Attachments

• image - 2022-07-05T020537.686.jpg
    image - 2022-07-05T020537.686.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 737
  • image - 2022-07-05T021319.465.jpg
    image - 2022-07-05T021319.465.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 733
Last edited:
I have 2 solid silver colonial shoe buckles that were pretty shiny when I found them. Still had a good amount of tarnish though. I gave them both a light rinse with plain water and then put them in display cases. I can't say I've ever found one that the chape wasn't made out of iron. Both brass or silver. I'm by no means an expert, but that buckle looks more modern. This is of course just my opinion, and could be completely inaccurate :lol: it looks like there is a mark in the bottom portion of the back side, perhaps sterling? That would be the only way I see a buckle that old coming out somewhat untarnished.

Tim
Is any part of that buckle made of iron, i.e., magnetic? Maybe it’s not yours and all you have is the photos of someone else’s ‘dug’ buckle? Do you or the finder know what metal the frame is made of?

Looks like a Victorian era sash buckle to me

Yup, the frame on colonial buckles is usually much thinner than that one. He said he dug it from a colonial era cellar hole, but maybe that was just a guess on his part.

I've dug a couple of silver plated colonial era buckles, but they didn't come out of the ground shiny. Here's one I found in 2014. Cleaned up really nice, but prtty grungy out of the ground.

Attachments

• shoe buckle.jpg
    shoe buckle.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 618
  • [000002] (2).jpg
    [000002] (2).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 621
Some people try to cash in on youtube. It's like a guy who used to be on here digging the jar of silver coins .Man get a job!

Isn't this the same guy who finds silver dollars every hunt?

Yup, he always finds big silver or silver spills, but rarely finds any big coppers. Just not the way it is around here in RI. As Tom knows, big coppers are common as dirt in New England!

He should have been happy enough getting that thing for 15.50$ on EBay. You’re right definitely way too clean coming out of the hole and the sterling mark on the back is an exact match. Not sure why people have to fake finds. If you’re planting finds then you’re definitely in this hobby for all the wrong reasons. Good catch

If you’re planting finds then you’re definitely in this hobby for all the wrong reasons. Good catch

Thanks! When he posted a video of himself finding a Morgan and a Capped Bust half at the hunt I attended a couple of months ago, I knew something was up. No one found jack squat at that hunt. I didn't even find one coin, but he pulled out two big silvers? No way.

If he had only done it once I might have ignored it, but posting multiple videos of big silver and silver spill finds got to be annoying. Silver coins just aren't that easy to find around here. This state was full of farmers and mill workers back in the 1800's, so most people didn't have jack squat to their name in those days.

Thanks! When he posted a video of himself finding a Morgan and a Capped Bust half at the hunt I attended a couple of months ago, I knew something was up. No one found jack squat at that hunt. I didn't even find one coin, but he pulled out two big silvers? No way.

If he had only done it once I might have ignored it, but posting multiple videos of big silver and silver spill finds got to be annoying. Silver coins just aren't that easy to find around here. This state was full of farmers and mill workers back in the 1800's, so most people didn't have jack squat to their name in those days.

I remember a year or so back BigD81 called a guy out from up around New England way, he bought a coin on flea-bay and posted it here as a find. I think he called himself MigCol or something like that. Wonder if this is the same guy ?
Maybe we should start a sub-forum called Smokers and Jokers :lol: Ha ha. Just kidding

Back
Top Bottom