Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-01-2020, 04:47 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default What happened to this forum ?

Up until several years ago this was an entertaining and fun place to visit. I really feel sorry for those that weren't around back then and I guess if you don't know what you missed you can't miss it.

Sponsorship is down to 4 when 12 was the norm. There were a wide range of characters here and the discussions were a lot more intense,but entertaining. I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:07 PM
jmaclen jmaclen is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 643
Default

Head on over to Finds Treasure.

__________________
QED PL3, Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, XP Deus, Garrett AT Gold, Tek G2+, Tek-Point, XP Mi-6

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
Head on over to Finds Treasure.
Has nothing to do with the topic here. I am comparing this forum vs what this forum was.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,866
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
... I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.
I have no idea what "isn't up to snuff enough" for you , @ the forum as -it-is-now. But I do NOT consider the moderation here to be anything less than extremely tolerant, fair, patient, etc... So I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote


7 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:30 PM
jmaclen jmaclen is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 643
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
Has nothing to do with the topic here. I am comparing this forum vs what this forum was.
Your reference to discussions being intense and entertaining does have something to do with what I posted. No offense intended nor was I trying to derail your topic. Just a fact. This forum does seem to have become more "Friendly" and that is a good thing in my opinion.

__________________
QED PL3, Minelab Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, XP Deus, Garrett AT Gold, Tek G2+, Tek-Point, XP Mi-6

Reply With Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

I think your post is against the rules for political reasons but I'm not trying to be the forum police.
I'm not talking about discussions that were against the rules, but rather discussions that often got interesting and sometimes heated. Also discussions that had a high entertainment value that were characteristic of the posters themselves without being heated .

Last edited by Cfmct; 09-01-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I have no idea what "isn't up to snuff enough" for you , @ the forum as -it-is-now. But I do NOT consider the moderation here to be anything less than extremely tolerant, fair, patient, etc... So I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Your opinion on moderation is noted. What do you see as the decline in this site over the last several years ?
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM
bowwinkles bowwinkles is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,240
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
I think your post is against the rules for political reasons but I'm not trying to be the forum police.
I'm not talking about discussions that were against the rules, but rather discussions that often got interesting and sometimes heated. Also discussions that had a high entertainment value that were characteristic of the posters themselves without being heated .
If you take the time to check my history, you will find that I do not break the rules. I was just developing a subject matter that seemed to "peak your interest" but in the eyes of some it was somewhat entertaining. If you wish a bit of heat in the topic I could have used a thermometer on that fellow prior to his trip down stream))
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by bowwinkles View post
If you take the time to check my history, you will find that I do not break the rules. I was just developing a subject matter that seemed to "peak your interest" but in the eyes of some it was somewhat entertaining. If you wish a bit of heat in the topic I could have used a thermometer on that fellow prior to his trip down stream))
Do you feel the forum was more entertaining and fun back when you joined ?
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 32,095
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
Up until several years ago this was an entertaining and fun place to visit. I really feel sorry for those that weren't around back then and I guess if you don't know what you missed you can't miss it.

Sponsorship is down to 4 when 12 was the norm. There were a wide range of characters here and the discussions were a lot more intense,but entertaining. I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.

Facebook can be one of the reasons...

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 1007

Reply With Quote


4 members found this post helpful.
  #11  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:05 PM
SeabeeRon's Avatar
SeabeeRon SeabeeRon is offline
"Can Do" Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 23,528
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
Up until several years ago this was an entertaining and fun place to visit. I really feel sorry for those that weren't around back then and I guess if you don't know what you missed you can't miss it.

Sponsorship is down to 4 when 12 was the norm. There were a wide range of characters here and the discussions were a lot more intense,but entertaining. I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.
Just curious Dcruse, what was your prior User Name? Your "style" seems very familiar!

__________________
SeabeeRon-On the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.
Sov GT, White's MXT & Surf PI Pro,BH Land Ranger

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #12  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:06 PM
SeabeeRon's Avatar
SeabeeRon SeabeeRon is offline
"Can Do" Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 23,528
Default

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
Head on over to Finds Treasure.
I like it here better!!

__________________
SeabeeRon-On the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.
Sov GT, White's MXT & Surf PI Pro,BH Land Ranger

Reply With Quote


5 members found this post helpful.
  #13  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:06 PM
treasure_hunter1 treasure_hunter1 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 479
Default

Been a member here since 2006, mods here have always been very fair and lenient. All the forum's participation is down and it has much more to do with face book than with FMD moderation. JMPO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


3 members found this post helpful.
  #14  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:06 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
Facebook can be one of the reasons...
Facebook and youtube have been around for quite some time and they have drawn people that would participate in a forum. That shouldn't have an effect on the content though and anyone that was around when this forum was more lively probably misses those days.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:09 PM
Cfmct's Avatar
Cfmct Cfmct is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SW Connecticut
Posts: 32,095
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
Facebook and youtube have been around for quite some time and they have drawn people that would participate in a forum. That shouldn't have an effect on the content though and anyone that was around when this forum was more lively probably misses those days.

How about 30 million unemployed because of a virus... food and rent comes before detecting.

__________________
Excalibur1000
Sunspot Scoop 720i Hybrid
Whites MXT All Pro
Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 1007

Reply With Quote


6 members found this post helpful.
  #16  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by treasure_hunter1 View post
Been a member here since 2006, mods here have always been very fair and lenient. All the forum's participation is down and it has much more to do with face book than with FMD moderation. JMPO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You are the moderator over at Tnet are you not ? The special privileges you gave to FindersKeepers caused a lot of people to leave or get banned so, I wouldn't consider your view on moderation to be credible, not that they are as unfair here as there.
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
How about 30 million unemployed because of a virus... food and rent comes before detecting.
The virus is fairly new in comparison to the decline of this forum. It is even more noticeable on weekends, especially evenings.
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:29 PM
SeabeeRon's Avatar
SeabeeRon SeabeeRon is offline
"Can Do" Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 23,528
Default

Enjoy your time here while it lasts!

__________________
SeabeeRon-On the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.
Sov GT, White's MXT & Surf PI Pro,BH Land Ranger

Reply With Quote


7 members found this post helpful.
  #19  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Dcruse Dcruse is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 15
Default

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View post
Enjoy your time here while it lasts!
I do wherever I'm at. Try to bring up interesting topics and give honest opinions. It's those honest opinions that can get a person in trouble.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #20  
Old 09-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 13,866
Default

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
.... What do you see as the decline in this site over the last several years ?
That implies there's been a "decline" here, in the first place. And I'm not seeing it, so not-sure what you're referring to.

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
... not that they are as unfair here as there.
Sure, there's a *certain* forum where you can't 'diss magic wands and ghost stories. But that has nothing to do with this forum. The mod's here are more than patient, fair, etc.... So .... you are making assertions with no grounds IMHO.
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.