Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 04:47 PM
Banned

Default What happened to this forum ?

Up until several years ago this was an entertaining and fun place to visit. I really feel sorry for those that weren't around back then and I guess if you don't know what you missed you can't miss it.

Sponsorship is down to 4 when 12 was the norm. There were a wide range of characters here and the discussions were a lot more intense,but entertaining. I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:07 PM
Elite Member

Head on over to Finds Treasure.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
Has nothing to do with the topic here. I am comparing this forum vs what this forum was.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dcruse View post
... I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.
I have no idea what "isn't up to snuff enough" for you , @ the forum as -it-is-now. But I do NOT consider the moderation here to be anything less than extremely tolerant, fair, patient, etc... So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Elite Member

Has nothing to do with the topic here. I am comparing this forum vs what this forum was.
Your reference to discussions being intense and entertaining does have something to do with what I posted. No offense intended nor was I trying to derail your topic. Just a fact. This forum does seem to have become more "Friendly" and that is a good thing in my opinion.

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Banned

I think your post is against the rules for political reasons but I'm not trying to be the forum police.
I'm not talking about discussions that were against the rules, but rather discussions that often got interesting and sometimes heated. Also discussions that had a high entertainment value that were characteristic of the posters themselves without being heated .

Last edited by Cfmct; 09-01-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
I have no idea what "isn't up to snuff enough" for you , @ the forum as -it-is-now. But I do NOT consider the moderation here to be anything less than extremely tolerant, fair, patient, etc... So I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Your opinion on moderation is noted. What do you see as the decline in this site over the last several years ?

Old 09-01-2020, 05:55 PM
Elite Member

I think your post is against the rules for political reasons but I'm not trying to be the forum police.
I'm not talking about discussions that were against the rules, but rather discussions that often got interesting and sometimes heated. Also discussions that had a high entertainment value that were characteristic of the posters themselves without being heated .
If you take the time to check my history, you will find that I do not break the rules. I was just developing a subject matter that seemed to "peak your interest" but in the eyes of some it was somewhat entertaining. If you wish a bit of heat in the topic I could have used a thermometer on that fellow prior to his trip down stream))

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bowwinkles View post
If you take the time to check my history, you will find that I do not break the rules. I was just developing a subject matter that seemed to "peak your interest" but in the eyes of some it was somewhat entertaining. If you wish a bit of heat in the topic I could have used a thermometer on that fellow prior to his trip down stream))
Do you feel the forum was more entertaining and fun back when you joined ?

Old 09-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Up until several years ago this was an entertaining and fun place to visit. I really feel sorry for those that weren't around back then and I guess if you don't know what you missed you can't miss it.

Sponsorship is down to 4 when 12 was the norm. There were a wide range of characters here and the discussions were a lot more intense,but entertaining. I think the site reflects moderation and it seems they went too far.

Facebook can be one of the reasons...

Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 1007

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:05 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Just curious Dcruse, what was your prior User Name? Your "style" seems very familiar!

Old 09-01-2020, 06:06 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
I like it here better!!

5 members found this post helpful.
Supporter

Been a member here since 2006, mods here have always been very fair and lenient. All the forum's participation is down and it has much more to do with face book than with FMD moderation. JMPO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 members found this post helpful.
Banned

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
Facebook can be one of the reasons...
Facebook and youtube have been around for quite some time and they have drawn people that would participate in a forum. That shouldn't have an effect on the content though and anyone that was around when this forum was more lively probably misses those days.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Facebook and youtube have been around for quite some time and they have drawn people that would participate in a forum. That shouldn't have an effect on the content though and anyone that was around when this forum was more lively probably misses those days.

How about 30 million unemployed because of a virus... food and rent comes before detecting.

Founding Member of RingKeepers

Banned Spammers 1007

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by treasure_hunter1 View post
Been a member here since 2006, mods here have always been very fair and lenient. All the forum's participation is down and it has much more to do with face book than with FMD moderation. JMPO

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
You are the moderator over at Tnet are you not ? The special privileges you gave to FindersKeepers caused a lot of people to leave or get banned so, I wouldn't consider your view on moderation to be credible, not that they are as unfair here as there.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cfmct View post
How about 30 million unemployed because of a virus... food and rent comes before detecting.
The virus is fairly new in comparison to the decline of this forum. It is even more noticeable on weekends, especially evenings.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:29 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

Enjoy your time here while it lasts!

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View post
Enjoy your time here while it lasts!
I do wherever I'm at. Try to bring up interesting topics and give honest opinions. It's those honest opinions that can get a person in trouble.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:37 PM
Elite Member

.... What do you see as the decline in this site over the last several years ?
That implies there's been a "decline" here, in the first place. And I'm not seeing it, so not-sure what you're referring to.

... not that they are as unfair here as there.
Sure, there's a *certain* forum where you can't 'diss magic wands and ghost stories. But that has nothing to do with this forum. The mod's here are more than patient, fair, etc.... So .... you are making assertions with no grounds IMHO.

2 members found this post helpful.