Colonial Spanish 2 Reales, but counterfeit?

MurdochBaines

I dug this at a 1790s home, along with a KGIII. This is my first Spanish silver. Oddly, it doesn’t have that silver ping/ring when struck by another coin or flipped in the air by my thumb. It sounds very dull and different from my other dug silvers (Washington, barber quarter, SLQ, etc.). If any of you have reales, could you report back the sound compared to other silvers? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 08382718-437F-43F9-A7ED-DC14D28F2048.jpg
    08382718-437F-43F9-A7ED-DC14D28F2048.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 722
  • E24B2BCA-95EE-411C-9FBB-3218F4B7AC6F.jpg
    E24B2BCA-95EE-411C-9FBB-3218F4B7AC6F.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 658
  • FBEBC0A0-ED9D-4510-836F-5C2DF23EF4A8.jpg
    FBEBC0A0-ED9D-4510-836F-5C2DF23EF4A8.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 653
  • 6040EE68-12A2-4FCB-BC60-BE73C571F6D2.jpg
    6040EE68-12A2-4FCB-BC60-BE73C571F6D2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 621
Looks real to me,....

^ ^ this ^ ^

Why would you think it's not real ? If it's the "ping" sound when dropped on a desk-top (when compared to a silver washington, or whatever), then remember: Reales are thinner. Sometimes even potato chip thin.

^ ^ this ^ ^

Why would you think it's not real ? If it's the "ping" sound when dropped on a desk-top (when compared to a silver washington, or whatever), then remember: Reales are thinner. Sometimes even potato chip thin.

I did compare it to a very worn/thin Barber quarter and it sounds totally different. Maybe I’m overthinking it.

^ ^ this ^ ^

I hear California is full of them bet they think they are clad pennies!😢

remember Barber, LP and silver washingtons are .9 silver, .10 copper. maybe this combination gives the ting sound. not sure what composition reals are, maybe 100% silver? if so maybe the ting is lost.

Looks good to me. You should weigh it and make sure it is close to correct weight for 2R. Then as long as it rang up like silver quarter on CTX I would say it unequivocally good. Most counterfeits ring up with lower tones on ctx.

Looks good to me. You should weigh it and make sure it is close to correct weight for 2R. Then as long as it rang up like silver quarter on CTX I would say it unequivocally good. Most counterfeits ring up with lower tones on ctx.

It rang up 12-41 ish. It was a good coin signal but I didn’t expect a quarter-sized silver coin. This reading is similar to thin silver dimes and wheaties. It was about 4” deep. It is certainly thin, but not super thin. This is my first 1700s silver so I’m still learning.

First off, HGE HUGE HUGE CONGRATS man !!!!!!!
I don't know why you have doubts when you know the age of the yard you dug it from.
I have a couple 2 Reales and I gave them the silver sound test , and yeah , they sure do make a dead sounding thud sound. Nothing like American coins. I'm assuming by now you have checked the weight and measurements nd stuff....I'm guessing its pretty darn close. It sure looks and sounds like a winner to me. And boy am I jealous.....
Once again, big huge congratulations on a super nice piece of history. Spanish silver is such a thrill to dig up.

It rang up 12-41 ish. It was a good coin signal but I didn’t expect a quarter-sized silver coin. This reading is similar to thin silver dimes and wheaties. It was about 4” deep. It is certainly thin, but not super thin. This is my first 1700s silver so I’m still learning.

Never found one of these myself so you are ahead of me on these! It doesn't surprise me that it's conductivity lower than expected since it is thin. Older silver tends to ring lower also. I don't doubt its genuine at all. I would still check weight on precise scale and compare to published weights.

Never found one of these myself so you are ahead of me on these! It doesn't surprise me that it's conductivity lower than expected since it is thin. Older silver tends to ring lower also. I don't doubt its genuine at all. I would still check weight on precise scale and compare to published weights.

I got some silver testing solution. It’s silver. The solution left no mark. Needed the solution for testing other items. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom