Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 05-30-2020, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

Default Peaceful day at the Ghost Town. Whosit's and Whatit's Galore.

Spent 6 hours alone with the antelope and cattle today. 65 degrees and a little rain mixed in. Great time. Decompressed. I didn't find a single coin, but I still consider it a success. Some hunts are more about the peacefulness than the finds. Today was no exception. Lots of odd bits. I did score 2 rings. One is a very small child's ring. The other, i thought may have been silver, but as i cleaned it, apparently it isn't. Its definitely old. Is it just me or is there a '94 stamped in it? Maybe 1894. It probably has a silver wash on it. This ghost town shut down in the early 1900's. Just rock foundations remain. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

IH: 23, Buff/V/Shield: 38, Gold: 7

Last edited by Stiffwrists; 05-31-2020 at 03:00 AM.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

Excellent show. Everything there just drips with history. A good old coin should be forthcoming soon !

Old 05-30-2020, 10:23 PM
Supporter

Great post and photo layout there Stiffy! I see things like this you found...I Imagine how difficult it would be to make a gear for a watch all by hand back in the old days..let alone make it work!...Let alone making a harmonica from scratch etc...very cool finds!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:30 AM

Nice collection of whatszits! Itís fun to see such a great mix of stuff!

Old 05-31-2020, 08:15 AM
Supporter

Sounds like a fun, fun hunt. There is something special about finding things that have remained hidden for many year. It reminds me of what life was like for our not too distant ancestors.

I just wonder how many of us could make it living back then. I guess most of us, because we would have to.

Wouldn't it be neat to be able (almost impossible) to get that ring to one of the descendants of the owner?

Old 05-31-2020, 03:36 PM
Elite Member

Great job of finding history. Thanks for the pics. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2020, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

You found some fantastic historic stuff, so what if no coins, I seldom find coins in the desert myself but I dont care, sometimes its just about getting away from it all. The desert is a wonderful place, I'd rather see jack rabbits, lizards & cacti than some people I know. Long as you had a good time, thats all that counts.