Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2020, 03:45 PM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,073
Default I should open a Used Car lot!

As some of you know, I've been detecting a large housing complex in Missoula Montana, built in 1956. Not much hope of old stuff but I have pulled 10 Silver Rosies and some wheat pennies, along with one Silver GW Quarter out of there so far, along with a ton of clad.

As we have had rain for the last few days, T-Storms today, and rain for the next few days, I thought I'd post these pics and story.

Lots of kids must have played here over the last 64 years, as I have found A LOT of TOY CARS buried in the dirt. I've got so many I think I should open a Used Car Lot!
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:12 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 3,645
Default

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
As some of you know, I've been detecting a large housing complex in Missoula Montana, built in 1956. Not much hope of old stuff but I have pulled 10 Silver Rosies and some wheat pennies, along with one Silver GW Quarter out of there so far, along with a ton of clad.

As we have had rain for the last few days, T-Storms today, and rain for the next few days, I thought I'd post these pics and story.

Lots of kids must have played here over the last 64 years, as I have found A LOT of TOY CARS buried in the dirt. I've got so many I think I should open a Used Car Lot!
And maybe a Car Wash too. Nice finds....

__________________
Garrett AT MAX - Garrett ATPro - Garrett Ace 400 -White's Digmaster - Garrett Pro Pointer 2 - Garrett Z-Lynk AT ProPointer

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:33 PM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,073
Default

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
And maybe a Car Wash too. Nice finds....
Hah, thanks D4C! Yep, these could sure use a washing! Heck, with all the rain lately I should just leave them outside!
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:48 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 3,645
Default

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
Hah, thanks D4C! Yep, these could sure use a washing! Heck, with all the rain lately I should just leave them outside!
We've had more than our usual amount of rain here too but the last few days have finally been nice. Do you ever restore any of the cars you find?

__________________
Garrett AT MAX - Garrett ATPro - Garrett Ace 400 -White's Digmaster - Garrett Pro Pointer 2 - Garrett Z-Lynk AT ProPointer

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-20-2020, 04:49 PM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,073
Default

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
We've had more than our usual amount of rain here too but the last few days have finally been nice. Do you ever restore any of the cars you find?
No, I had not thought of that. Some might be collector items or old ones, but so far I just stuff them in ziploc baggies and set them aside for now.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 05-20-2020, 06:05 PM
Jamflicker's Avatar
Jamflicker Jamflicker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 15,997
Default

You found a carmax buried in the dirt

__________________
Etrac Totals since 12/27/10 (2020) - Clad: $3523.56 ($113.61), Silver Coins: 1849 (115), Indian Heads: 59 (25), Wheats: 8486 (591), .925: 311 (17), Marbles 1012 (97), Coinstar Silver: 22, Oldest Coins: 1814 Large Cent, 1860 1/4 Reale, 1854 Seated Quarter

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-20-2020, 08:08 PM
NickelPlate NickelPlate is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 45
Default

Super cool finds!

__________________
Garrett ACE 400, AT Pro pointer, and Edge Digger. Whites Ground Hawg.

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 05-20-2020, 08:41 PM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,073
Default

Originally Posted by Jamflicker View post
You found a carmax buried in the dirt
Hah, thanks Jam!

Originally Posted by NickelPlate View post
Super cool finds!
Thank you NickelPlate. There are more there for sure, as I've only detected about 2/3rds of the grass at these apts.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 PM
diggin4clad's Avatar
diggin4clad diggin4clad is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 3,645
Default

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
No, I had not thought of that. Some might be collector items or old ones, but so far I just stuff them in ziploc baggies and set them aside for now.
I watched a few YouTube videos of guys who restore them and they come out looking pretty good. I don't have the patience to try it so mine are all stored in a large plastic jar.

__________________
Garrett AT MAX - Garrett ATPro - Garrett Ace 400 -White's Digmaster - Garrett Pro Pointer 2 - Garrett Z-Lynk AT ProPointer

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 PM
WyoTom's Avatar
WyoTom WyoTom is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,979
Default

Ha! Nice car cache!

__________________
YTD 2020 (16)Silver Coins (46)Wheaties (4)IHP (1)Buffs (1)Vís (2)Sterling (5)Tokens (1) Gold
1897 British Large Cent
Equinox 800

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 PM
JimR_TN's Avatar
JimR_TN JimR_TN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
I watched a few YouTube videos of guys who restore them and they come out looking pretty good. I don't have the patience to try it so mine are all stored in a large plastic jar.
I use a metal container that once had cookies in it.

I love finding the cars but I agree... I don't have the patience to restore them.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 600 - Oldest coin: 1886 IHP
Fisher F75 SE
Fisher F-Pulse

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 PM
JimR_TN's Avatar
JimR_TN JimR_TN is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by LovestheShiny! View post
As some of you know, I've been detecting a large housing complex in Missoula Montana, built in 1956. Not much hope of old stuff but I have pulled 10 Silver Rosies and some wheat pennies, along with one Silver GW Quarter out of there so far, along with a ton of clad.

As we have had rain for the last few days, T-Storms today, and rain for the next few days, I thought I'd post these pics and story.

Lots of kids must have played here over the last 64 years, as I have found A LOT of TOY CARS buried in the dirt. I've got so many I think I should open a Used Car Lot!
Nice. It always makes me smile when I dig these up. And I'm sure I lost quite a few myself as a child.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 600 - Oldest coin: 1886 IHP
Fisher F75 SE
Fisher F-Pulse

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:11 PM
Foragist's Avatar
Foragist Foragist is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,679
Default

All that and a jet too! I always enjoy digging a toy.

Quick game: Find the VW Bug in this lineup. How long did it take?
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 05-20-2020, 10:26 PM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,073
Default

Originally Posted by WyoTom View post
Ha! Nice car cache!
Thanks Tom!

Originally Posted by JimR_TN View post
I use a metal container that once had cookies in it.

I love finding the cars but I agree... I don't have the patience to restore them.
Thank you JimR!

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
All that and a jet too! I always enjoy digging a toy.

Quick game: Find the VW Bug in this lineup. How long did it take?
Thanks Foragist. I don't know much about cars so don't know which one is the VDub! I do know airplanes pretty well, the jet looks like a French Mirage.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 05-21-2020, 06:44 AM
Dewsweeper894's Avatar
Dewsweeper894 Dewsweeper894 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,062
Smile

It would take a long winter but starting a micro automotive detail and restoration shop has always been in the back of my mind .
Love the photo.
,Dew

__________________
Minelab ETrac & Tesoro V , 2020 YTD Totals, Silver = 12 WP = 27, IHPí=2, 925 = 1, buffs 1, clad = 23.92

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM
LovestheShiny! LovestheShiny! is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,073
Default

Originally Posted by Dewsweeper894 View post
It would take a long winter but starting a micro automotive detail and restoration shop has always been in the back of my mind .
Love the photo.
,Dew
Thanks Dew! That would be a fun and probably profitable winter hobby!
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 05-21-2020, 07:25 AM
Diggerjonny's Avatar
Diggerjonny Diggerjonny is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Cass county Indiana
Posts: 494
Default

Cool little collection of automobiles .

__________________
AT Pro,AT Gold,Tesoro Outlaw,Whites DFX,Teknetics Patriot.XP Deus ORX.

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 AM
Beachhunter's Avatar
Beachhunter Beachhunter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,129
Default

Wow Car Max! Thatís a lot of cool toys!

__________________
Equinox 800 / XP Deus

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 AM
Dirty Nails's Avatar
Dirty Nails Dirty Nails is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 899
Default

Pretty cool!

__________________
Garrett Ace 350, Fisher Sand Scoop
24-Year U.S. Air Force Veteran - Colossians 3:23
Clad Total: $95.66 - YTD Clad: $14.88
Significant 2020 Finds - 1979 Susan, 1943 Mercury Dime, 1939 Wheatie

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM
mdtrapper's Avatar
mdtrapper mdtrapper is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Maryland.
Posts: 1,900
Default

Wow. That is a lot of cars. I think I had the green jet one when I was a kid.

__________________
AT PRO/ / T. REX Scoop./Equinox 600/Equinox 800
FTY... Gold (1) Silver coin's(6) Wp(9) IHP(7) Silver Jewelry (4)
Oldest coin: 1821 Russian 5 Kopeks.

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.