Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 03-26-2020, 11:00 PM
Supporter

Default Dectecting IS essential exercise! Montana hunt.

Headed back to Missoula, met my Nox 800 buddy from Helena at 11:00 am, only to see snow on the ground in Missoula! Found a newer ca 1930's neighborhood with little snow, and with warming temps into the 40's it was soon gone.

We started in on a curb strip that my 1950's reference map showed I had not detected yet, and also got a couple of permissions. My friend found a 1907-S Barber dime in the front yard of a 1930 bungalow, and I pulled a Silver Rosie from the curb strip. I did get the "DEPUTY MARSHALL" badge from that curb strip, along with lots of clad and copper pennies. Further down the curb strip I found a Mercury Dime, more wheat pennies, and other modern coins. Across the street my friend pulled a Silver Rosie, and more wheaties. We did get the OK at a nearby corner home, and my friend showed the amazing unmasking capabilities of the Nox by finding a Silver Washington Quarter in the same hole as a large buried coathanger!

We moved a couple of blocks east and got permission at a ca 1930 small corner home. While I was pulling wheatie after wheatie, my friend found a spill with 3 wheaties, a Silver Rosie, and a Merc Dime (making his dime trifecta for the day!) I ended up with two smaller non precious rings, and out of the curb strip a large fancy gold looking ring. Checked when I got home, it says 18K H G E (Heavy Gold Electroplate) - sad to say!

We ended up with lots of clad and copper cents, 52 wheat pennies between the two of us, 3 rings and total of 8 silvers. Cold and windy in the afternoon, but still productive, thanks for your interest!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM
Elite Member

More nice hunting from Montana. Another very good outing David. Actually went out yesterday for my first essential outdoor activity hunt yesterday after Wisconsin was shut down on Wednesday. Really found it strange to be the only person in a park. Congrats on the Silver's, the horde of Wheat's along with all the rest. Trapper

Old 03-27-2020, 11:22 AM
Elite Member

The badge is awesome, the ring is beautiful, sorry to hear its only plated. It would have definitely got my heart pounding. Still on my list are those cutout tokens. They're pretty cool. And congrats on the shiny to you and your buddy, looks to be one fine hunt. Stay safe. Mark

-Buffs 14 - Vs 7 - Sterling 2 Clad-23.92

Old 03-27-2020, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

I agree whole heartedly Lovestheshiney!!! Congrats on the finds and silver!

Old 03-27-2020, 12:16 PM
Elite Member

Another nice hunt, stay safe out there!

Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jack&jill View post
More nice hunting from Montana. Another very good outing David. Actually went out yesterday for my first essential outdoor activity hunt yesterday after Wisconsin was shut down on Wednesday. Really found it strange to be the only person in a park. Congrats on the Silver's, the horde of Wheat's along with all the rest. Trapper
Thank you Trapper! Our Governor just declared that Montana is now a "shelter in place" state with businesses to close down. Glad outdoor activity to stay healthy is just fine, will do my best to fulfill that responsibility by metal detecting as often as the weather allows!

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
The badge is awesome, the ring is beautiful, sorry to hear its only plated. It would have definitely got my heart pounding. Still on my list are those cutout tokens. They're pretty cool. And congrats on the shiny to you and your buddy, looks to be one fine hunt. Stay safe. Mark
Thank you Mark! The tokens are from Missoula, even though they say United Transit Company they are the ones used in Missoula.

Originally Posted by Lil Worm6 View post
I agree whole heartedly Lovestheshiney!!! Congrats on the finds and silver!
Thanks Lil Worm, lets keep detecting to just follow orders!

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Another nice hunt, stay safe out there!
Thank you zeemang. Will stay safe and try and get out more, weather permitting here.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Elite Member

That's a nice haul of silver.....

Old 03-27-2020, 03:40 PM

Congrats on the great finds! I have to build up the courage to start doing curb strips and permissions. Does anyone give you problems curb stripping?

Old 03-27-2020, 05:44 PM

Physically and mentally these days. Great haul guys!!

Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
That's a nice haul of silver.....
Thank you D4C!

Originally Posted by deeper View post
Congrats on the great finds! I have to build up the courage to start doing curb strips and permissions. Does anyone give you problems curb stripping?
Thank you deeper! Usually no problem, many times I go up to the door to let the adjacent homeowner know I will be detecting the curb strip, and how careful I will be. That also gives me the opportunity to ask to detect their front yard while I am at it!

Originally Posted by Fredneck View post
Physically and mentally these days. Great haul guys!!
Thank you Fredneck!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

A fantastic hunt. Great collection of goodies. Good luck on the next gold ring.
Cheers
Doc

Old 03-27-2020, 10:54 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by DigginDoc View post
A fantastic hunt. Great collection of goodies. Good luck on the next gold ring.
Cheers
Doc
Thank you DigginDoc! Just posted a story this evening, went back to Missoula and did get a small 10KT gold ring today!

Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 PM
Supporter

Very good hunt there! Especially love the Deputy Marshall star badge! You're on a roll lately...keep it rollin'!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on the silver!!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM

You keep killin it, man, Nice bunch of finds.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Very good hunt there! Especially love the Deputy Marshall star badge! You're on a roll lately...keep it rollin'!
Thank you Foragist, will do my best to keep rollin'!

Originally Posted by louie088 View post
Congrats on the silver!!
Thank you Louie!

Originally Posted by MTtrashdigger View post
You keep killin it, man, Nice bunch of finds.
Thank you Todd. Hopefully heading back to Missoula today, Saturday, with the wife to help out, will see how the situation is up there...

Old 03-28-2020, 06:35 PM
Elite Member

Very nice! We finally got some permissions and found an epic old abandoned area to hunt when Bullock decided to order the lockdown. Downloaded the ordinance and first thing I saw was outdoor activity is still permitted haha. Metal detecting DEFINITELY falls.under this category. Congrats on another awesome hunt! I might be headed out to missoula here in a week or so to see my family, maybe we can swing a coil!??

Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 PM
Supporter

Wow thatís a crazy silver take, super congrats!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $71.19 ($1045.18), Silver coins: 12 (38), Wheats: 32 (138), Gold: 1 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 7 (84), Rings: 13 (227), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 03-28-2020, 09:47 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisnAmanda1 View post
Very nice! We finally got some permissions and found an epic old abandoned area to hunt when Bullock decided to order the lockdown. Downloaded the ordinance and first thing I saw was outdoor activity is still permitted haha. Metal detecting DEFINITELY falls.under this category. Congrats on another awesome hunt! I might be headed out to missoula here in a week or so to see my family, maybe we can swing a coil!??
Thank you ChrisnAmanda! Yep, private message me with your contact phone # and I would be happy to meet you in Missoula and detect together!

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Wow thatís a crazy winner take, super congrats!
Thank you GS!

Old 03-29-2020, 07:27 PM

Some nice finds! We're shut down here in Hawaii. Parks and beaches are off limits! Can't wait until this thing passes!