Old dog tags we found in our yard.

doverboys5

Found these 1912 and 1917 old dog tags searching our 4 acre yard.

Attachments

• 20200221_104722.jpg
    20200221_104722.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 495
  • 20200221_104711.jpg
    20200221_104711.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 393
There's actually a collector's demand for some old dog tags. Depends on the state, the city, the age, etc..... But if you can get 1) either a one-of-a-kind type (no other dog tags known from the certain city), or 2) The oldest known specimen from a certain town, or 3) The small west coast towns (where dog tags didn't typically get dreamed up till later, versus east coast states). Then : Some of them can fetch good prices.

There's actually a collector's demand for some old dog tags. Depends on the state, the city, the age, etc..... But if you can get 1) either a one-of-a-kind type (no other dog tags known from the certain city), or 2) The oldest known specimen from a certain town, or 3) The small west coast towns (where dog tags didn't typically get dreamed up till later, versus east coast states). Then : Some of them can fetch good prices.

Is there a website? I’m interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a website? I’m interested ....

I'm sure there is a network of social media communication within their ranks. Eg.: forums, or FB or whatever. Maybe someone will come on here to chime in with an exact link for you.

I just know that .... several years back, I posted a pix of an 1890s small-west-coast town dog tag. Someone PM'd me and asked if I wanted to sell it. That led to a conversation with the fellow, who ... at the time, gave me various information on the rarity scales (Ie.: what fetches demand and prices, etc....).

From the conversation, I realized I should not immediately take his offer. So instead I told him "I'll float it on Ebay, alert you to when it's listed, and secretly tell you my hidden reserve price". So that in that way, I'd be fair to myself, and it would be "open bid".

It ended up getting several bidders, including a name or two that I recognized that he'd told me were big time buyers (essentially "driving the market"). So that told me that .... while it was a niche collectors gig, yet .... you know the drill: Those in specific niche collector circles tend to get to know who each other are (and vie for the best collections, etc....).

I don't have any links for you, but either google will be your friend, or someone might come along with links.

The oldest here is a 1968-9. I've others than these most recent 3. I'm going to make a shadow box for one of my neighbors, whos is an animal VET, to display in his clinic. He actually owns the Russellville Animal Clinic now, which is on the last tag (from 1988).

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 311
Congrats on the dog tags. I get a kick out of finding them, especially the older ones. My oldest to date, a 1909-10 from New Castle Pa. Looks like you guys have a nice size site to hunt. Good luck Mark

Nice older tags!
I am a member of the International Society of Animal License Collectors.
We have a Facebook page, ISALC.
Annual dues are only about $15 and you get quarterly newsletters.:D

Nice older tags!

I am a member of the International Society of Animal License Collectors.

We have a Facebook page, ISALC.

Annual dues are only about $15 and you get quarterly newsletters.:D

I don’t find enough to pay but it would be cool to see others finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom