First silver coin of 2020 just made it into the 1800s

Jodo_Kast501

I recently got permission at a house site that I knew dated to the 1800s, but the landowner didn't know when exactly. On top of that, the house burned in the last decade, so not much to go on there. I have included a photo of some of the stones that survived the fire. It's a nice site though because I can be there at any time without being bothered or being a bother.

I had been there one time previously and found a lot of aluminum globules from the house fire. They sound very good at depth, unfortunately. I picked up a couple of wheats and a sterling brooch, but nothing particularly old and so was a bit disappointed. There's also a large chestnut tree that drops very spiny balls over the area – let the kneeler beware. Thick tree roots through clay soil make things even tougher.

After an hour and a half yesterday, I was about ready to pack it in and go to another nearby site, but decided to stick it out for a bit more. Got a 74–75 at 6 inches and out came a very crusty 1882 Indian, which cleaned up relatively well. I gridded some of the areas nearby but my time was running short, so I rechecked some areas from my first visit and got an 80–81 signal and figured it was a wheat penny. Turned out to be a 1899 Barber dime (no mintmark). I didn't find a single Barber in 2019 and I've missed it! I don't know how much more the site has to offer, but I'm not done with it just yet.

yNqVfEvh.jpg

Stones from the former house

iMnzUwIh.jpg

Brooch from my first visit

4SSupISh.jpg

1882 IHP and 1899-P Barber dime

Nice hunting. I've revisted sites after not finding much and sometimes they just open up.

Awesome coins. And awesome pics - how do you do the lighting?

I like to use white paper since it's high contrast with most things I find. It was also taken directly beneath a florescent lamp. I used the photo editor on Instagram to brighten this one up a bit and highlight the details.

I found my first silver coin of the new year on the 5th, my second time out for 2020. It was only a '64 and I didn't even realize it was silver until I got home and something told me to look at it again.

Back
Top Bottom