A long silver drought but finally hit 50 (and 51) FTY

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
The past few weeks has been tough. I have been stuck at 49 silvers FTY with a goal of 50. Winter weather and work trips kept me from hunting as much as I wanted but I still managed to get out several times over the past few weeks. Despite hunting yards from homes dating back as far as 1909 and lots of juicy looking older curbstrips, even finding a wheat penny has been a somewhat rare. I did find a few, dating back as far as 1910, and my 6th Buffalo nickel, so I know I was in the right places but the silver just wouldn't find its way under my coil. Finally today, after 3 silver skunks in 1909,1910 and 1912 yards, I went to a slightly newer part of town hoping to score something shiny. I pulled up to a smaller corner house (1939) at a fairly busy intersection where a young couple was working on the deck. The yard was bare dirt so i figured they would have no objection to my detecting. They gave me the green light after telling me there was sod under the dirt that they had spread over their yard ,but they had scraped a couple of inches of dirt out of their the curb strip. I decided to start there and soon unearthed a 1940 Jefferson nickel. Not much else in the strip but I noticed that they had taken out a walk path that separated their yard from their neighbors. Seemed like a likely place to scan. I started close to the house and worked my way toward the sidewalk, casually scanning both sides of the invisible property line. I finally got a good repeatable high tone and only 3 or 4 inches down was a nice shiny 1948 Rosie. FINALLY!! # 50!!. This one happened to be on the neighbors side -but probably by only a foot or so. I put my detector down and went to the door to ask if I could do their yard but they weren't home. So i figured i would finish the property line and come back another time. I resumed my scan and only 2 or three sweeps and bang, another sweet high tone, also just barely on the wrong side of the line --but i just had to dig it. Again, only 3 or 4 inches down was probably the most worn Merc I have ever dug. # 51 !!
I decided not to push my luck so I packed up and went home , elated and relieved to have hit the 50 mark. I have attached pics of some of the more interesting "relics" as well as the clad from the last few hunts and Buffalo nickel # 6 FTY.
All in all this has been a pretty great year for me. Last year I dug a total of 8 silver coins- all dimes and maybe 50 wheat pennies. This year I stand at 51 silvers , including a Walker half, Barber half, 4 GW quarters, 6 Barber dimes 4 V nickels , 6 Buffs and 1 Indian Head penny. I have learned tons about my machine, gained a lot of confidence in seeking permissions and made a new detecting friend in LovestheShiny. I appreciate everyone's encouragement and comments on the forum. Looking forward to digging lots more and sharing with everyone. Happy Hunting!!!

Attachments

• 11-9-19 relics .jpg
    11-9-19 relics .jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 11-9-19 clad .jpg
    11-9-19 clad .jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 408
  • Buff # 6 and 4 wheats 11-5-19.jpg
    Buff # 6 and 4 wheats 11-5-19.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 394
  • #50 and 51 fty 2019 heads.jpg
    #50 and 51 fty 2019 heads.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 390
  • #50 and 51 fty 2019 tails.jpg
    #50 and 51 fty 2019 tails.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 390
You have had a very impressive year indeed Todd. Congrats on reaching and then surpassing your goal on your Silver coin count. That number 50 was elusive but you were committed not to give up. A year of a lot of firsts for you along with some cherished memories. I hope that will continue in the future for you in this hobby. Oh one last item, you have made more than one friend on your journey here on the forum.:yes: Trapper

Attaboy! A little rogue rule-bending is sometimes what it takes to get the treasure. Not a blatant invasion, but just a blurred line happenstance. Then you went and knocked right away. Smooth. :yes:
Major congrats for unearthing #50 and beyond! Besides hitting goal, the "dig of the hunt" that I see is the Tootsietoy tanker truck.

Excellent finds and great story Todd! Very happy for you to have met that 50 shiny coin goal! Your totals this year in all types of coins are impressive, congrats!

Congrats!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!

You have had a very impressive year indeed Todd. Congrats on reaching and then surpassing your goal on your Silver coin count. That number 50 was elusive but you were committed not to give up. A year of a lot of firsts for you along with some cherished memories. I hope that will continue in the future for you in this hobby. Oh one last item, you have made more than one friend on your journey here on the forum.:yes: Trapper
Thanks Trapper And you are correct, I do consider the folks on the forum as friends. David and I were fortunate enough to actually get together for a hunt this year and we are both looking forward to hunting together again in the future. And congratulations to you on your 200+ silver coin year. Truly an impressive feat.

Attaboy! A little rogue rule-bending is sometimes what it takes to get the treasure. Not a blatant invasion, but just a blurred line happenstance. Then you went and knocked right away. Smooth. :yes:
Major congrats for unearthing #50 and beyond! Besides hitting goal, the "dig of the hunt" that I see is the Tootsietoy tanker truck.
Thank you! I really wanted to do the whole yard but that will have to wait for another day. And to be honest, I didn't know that was a Tootsietoy until I saw a few other similar cars posted on the forum.I have learned a ton here!

Excellent finds and great story Todd! Very happy for you to have met that 50 shiny coin goal! Your totals this year in all types of coins are impressive, congrats!
Thanks David! The snow and cold have arrived so I am probably done for a few days. Hopefully not for the year tho. With the silver goal met, I intend to spend any remaining days hunting where I found my 1900 IHP , looking for that ever elusive pre-1900 coin.

A major attaboy to you sir for hitting your goal, + 1. Congrats on the silver, wheats and a sweet Buff. This is my first year for reaching 50 as well. And I remember it seemed like forever being stuck on #49. But you did it and again congrats. And I agree with Foragist, the tootsie tanker, dig of the day. Very cool. Now on to 60. Good luck Mark

A major attaboy to you sir for hitting your goal, + 1. Congrats on the silver, wheats and a sweet Buff. This is my first year for reaching 50 as well. And I remember it seemed like forever being stuck on #49. But you did it and again congrats. And I agree with Foragist, the tootsie tanker, dig of the day. Very cool. Now on to 60. Good luck Mark
Thanks Mark, I am not going to push to get more silvers this year. Don't have many days left and although I will take what I happen to find, I'm sandbagging for the rest of the year. My focus is going to be on that elusive pre-1900 coin.

Thanks!

Very nice! Congrats on another silver milestone.
Thank You! This has been a great milestone year. Lots of firsts for me.

Nice finds...congrats!
Thank JAK!

Great post MT đź‘Ť
It looks like you take a lot of care cleaning your miscellaneous finds and relics .
Keepers all day .
Congratulations on all the sweet silver this year.

Back
Top Bottom