Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Dan B.'s Avatar
Dan B. Dan B. is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,293
Default Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair

I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618
Attached Images
   

__________________
Equinox 600

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2020/(16) silver coins (1) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (2)IHP (19) wheat (2) tokens

Reply With Quote


5 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 11-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,701
Default

Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

__________________
Equinox 800, AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche Excalibur Shovels
Totals Since 2017:
Silver Coins: 235, Ag Rings: 79
IH: 23, Buff/V/Shield: 31, Gold: 6

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Dan B.'s Avatar
Dan B. Dan B. is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,293
Default

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?
Yes it reinforces the existing ears. There is one model for the 11 and 15 inch coil and a different model for the 6-inch coil they also have one for coils that have already broken off the ear. The library only charged me a dollar. Pretty good deal.

__________________
Equinox 600

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2020/(16) silver coins (1) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (2)IHP (19) wheat (2) tokens

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 11-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Foragist's Avatar
Foragist Foragist is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,678
Default

I like it! Looks like it would distribute/diffuse/reinforce the stress point areas; preventing a busted coil ear. The strap-on repair design is clever too!
I am now wondering if there's a library around here with a 3D printer...
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 11-03-2019, 02:31 PM
NJDiver NJDiver is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Warren County, New Jersey
Posts: 66
Default

I just had to have them printed. So worth it to save the headache of snapping off an ear. Thank you!

__________________
PADI Divemaster #181371
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Makro Multi Kruzer

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 AM
ToySoldier's Avatar
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,949
Default

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

__________________
------
2020: 6 silver; 64 wheats; 1 1836 large cent; 1 Indian Head Cent; 5 buffalo nickels; 4 tokens; 3 foreign coins; 2 sterling; $26.54
2019: 45 Silver Coins; 271 Wheats; 15 Indian Head Cents; 18 Buffalo Nickels; 6 Liberty V Nickels; 4 Silver Rings; 1 Gold Ring; 2 silver other; 6 Tokens; $104.60
Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Dan B.'s Avatar
Dan B. Dan B. is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 1,293
Default

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.
Yes the original bolt fit fine. I only had to clean a little flashing out of the hole for the original bolt to fit through. I noticed that the instructions changed the fill percentage.

__________________
Equinox 600

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2020/(16) silver coins (1) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (2)IHP (19) wheat (2) tokens

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 AM
ToySoldier's Avatar
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,949
Default

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off..........

Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.
Attached Images
 

__________________
------
2020: 6 silver; 64 wheats; 1 1836 large cent; 1 Indian Head Cent; 5 buffalo nickels; 4 tokens; 3 foreign coins; 2 sterling; $26.54
2019: 45 Silver Coins; 271 Wheats; 15 Indian Head Cents; 18 Buffalo Nickels; 6 Liberty V Nickels; 4 Silver Rings; 1 Gold Ring; 2 silver other; 6 Tokens; $104.60
Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #9  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:53 PM
Donut Donut is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Coloma, SW Michigan, Equinox 800
Posts: 149
Default

There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6” and the 11”/15” coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

__________________
Coloma, SW Michigan
Equinox 800

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #10  
Old 01-05-2020, 08:30 PM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 9,453
Default

Originally Posted by Donut View post
There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6” and the 11”/15” coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug
Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Xp Deus,
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, , remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 PM
ChrisMD's Avatar
ChrisMD ChrisMD is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Anne Arundel County, MD
Posts: 1,004
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.
Don’t pay $15, it’s like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and I’ll send them to you.

__________________
- Current Gear: Equinox 800; Fisher F75+; Deeptech Vista X; Fisher F-Pulse; Nokta Makro Pulse Dive
- Random Collection of Finds Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeStateMetalDetecting

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 PM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 9,453
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Don’t pay $15, it’s like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and I’ll send them to you.
So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

I’ll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6”, 11”, 15” coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Xp Deus,
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, , remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 01-05-2020, 08:57 PM
ChrisMD's Avatar
ChrisMD ChrisMD is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Anne Arundel County, MD
Posts: 1,004
Default

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

I’ll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6”, 11”, 15” coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.
There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching “minelab” or “Minelab Equinox”.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So let’s say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and you’ll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often it’s a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

I’ll get those 3 done and out this week. I’m not on the Detector Prospector forum, but I’m happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

__________________
- Current Gear: Equinox 800; Fisher F75+; Deeptech Vista X; Fisher F-Pulse; Nokta Makro Pulse Dive
- Random Collection of Finds Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeStateMetalDetecting

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #14  
Old 01-05-2020, 09:02 PM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 9,453
Default

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching “minelab” or “Minelab Equinox”.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So let’s say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and you’ll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often it’s a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

I’ll get those 3 done and out this week. I’m not on the Detector Prospector forum, but I’m happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.
Gent who need help seems is member here as well and is named castleberry.
https://www.detectorprospector.com/f...comment-112648

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Xp Deus,
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, , remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 01-05-2020, 09:30 PM
castleberry's Avatar
castleberry castleberry is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Fairview TN
Posts: 62
Default

Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian
Attached Images
 

__________________
Fisher F44, Equinox 600

Gold (0), Silver (.10), Clad ($8.88), Bullets (2), Horseshoes (2), Misc junk (~).. LOL
Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Ham Radio - KQ4MM - USAF Vet 1983-1992

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 AM
tnsharpshooter tnsharpshooter is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 9,453
Default

Originally Posted by castleberry View post
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian
No sweat.
Your problem, helped me too.
Thanks.

__________________
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Etrac, Xp Deus,
Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, , remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 01-06-2020, 01:22 PM
ChrisMD's Avatar
ChrisMD ChrisMD is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Anne Arundel County, MD
Posts: 1,004
Default

Roger, I’ll get it printed and send this week. Do you want it in black? Just PM me your address, shipping will be less than $2 so you can just donate that to the local charity of your choice. You’ll need some small cable ties to attach it, I don’t have any on hand or I’d throw two in.

Originally Posted by castleberry View post
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian

__________________
- Current Gear: Equinox 800; Fisher F75+; Deeptech Vista X; Fisher F-Pulse; Nokta Makro Pulse Dive
- Random Collection of Finds Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DVn8njigg7Rwuw9w5
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/FreeStateMetalDetecting

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 01-06-2020, 03:16 PM
castleberry's Avatar
castleberry castleberry is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Fairview TN
Posts: 62
Default

Mighty kind of ya ChrisMD ... PM send and donation will be made ...

Thanks

Brian

__________________
Fisher F44, Equinox 600

Gold (0), Silver (.10), Clad ($8.88), Bullets (2), Horseshoes (2), Misc junk (~).. LOL
Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Ham Radio - KQ4MM - USAF Vet 1983-1992

Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 PM
Donut Donut is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Coloma, SW Michigan, Equinox 800
Posts: 149
Default

I’ve been hearing that if you contact Minelab they will replace the coil under warranty

__________________
Coloma, SW Michigan
Equinox 800

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #20  
Old 01-06-2020, 09:55 PM
castleberry's Avatar
castleberry castleberry is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Fairview TN
Posts: 62
Default

ChrisMD, Im having senior moments with the PM system LOL, please let me know if you have received my info ...

Thanks

Brian

__________________
Fisher F44, Equinox 600

Gold (0), Silver (.10), Clad ($8.88), Bullets (2), Horseshoes (2), Misc junk (~).. LOL
Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Ham Radio - KQ4MM - USAF Vet 1983-1992

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.