GREAT 2 day Missoula detect - Sterling, IHPs, V's, Philippine Silver, Mercs & Rosies

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
My friend from Helena (uses Nox 800) met me in Missoula yesterday and today, Tuesday, for a couple of serious days of detecting. We put in 8 hours each day, and dug some curb strips and quite a few private yards with permission.

We were both very pleased with the results, though we put in some hard work and hours in pretty warm (90+ degrees but low humidity) temps.

The first day we tried a couple of curb strips and yards, and I did pretty well, the first yard and first coin was a 1874 Indian Head Cent, my oldest IHP! Also found a Chinese Cash coin in that tiny front yard. In a curb strip, I pulled a Silver Rosie with the AT Pro, and in a 1940's yard I got a couple of Sterling Silver Rings, back to back! Another ca 1915 yard gave me my first V Nickel spill, a 1893 and 1911, along with a 1919 Merc Dime in the same hole! Also found a nice small STERLING marked thimble! 25 wheat pennies and a ton of clad completed the day for me. My friend found 4 Silver Dimes, 2 nice Indian Head Cents, and a couple of non-precious rings, along with about 33 wheat pennies, and of course plenty of clad. The property owners we met were great and interested in what we were finding.

Today, the second day, went well too. We started out with a couple of permissions and juicy large yard at a 1946 home. This yard was a bit disappointing as I got the only shiny, a 1942 Merc Dime, while my friend found a cool PLEVNA MONTANA token, and lots of wheat cents. We started on the adjacent curb strip, and a couple of houses down the block we hit a section that had not been detected. I got a couple of Silver Rosies, my friend got a Silver Rosie and an awesome 1944 Philippines Silver 50 Centavos coin, almost as big as a US Half Dollar. It sure rang up sweet for him on the Nox! I pulled a Merc Dime from the next yard, and a couple of Silver Rosies from the last two yards. The last yard had a really cool LEWISTON IDAHO Safe Driver pin for my friend, and more wheat pennies and clad for both of us.

Totals for my clad were 110 copper memorials, 4 nickels, 28 clad dimes, and 31 clad quarters. I did get a couple of newer MISSOULA CAROUSEL tokens. My friend did about the same in clad totals, with less copper pennies and more nickels. Total wheat pennies, including some we gave to the property owners, came to about 100.

Anyway, a couple of fun days, great weather, good friendship, and wonderful finds! Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• claddie.jpg
    claddie.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 452
  • jasoncoin.jpg
    jasoncoin.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 398
  • plevna.jpg
    plevna.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 404
  • roundness.jpg
    roundness.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 377
  • phill.jpg
    phill.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 389
  • philly.jpg
    philly.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 396
  • copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 401
  • silvah.jpg
    silvah.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 415
  • sterling.jpg
    sterling.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Dang son, there is just no slowing you down. Another awesome couple of outings. You must have knack for permissions because they all seem to produce shiny. 200 fty is on the horizon. Good luck Mark

Nice! Looks like you guys have found some virgin hunting grounds. Congrats.

More very fine hunting David. Missoula has been a great ride for you and your buddy. You two dug over 100 Wheat's in 2 days, it took me 8 months to dig 200 this year. A very impressive run for sure with lots of Silver, Sterling, the Indians and old Nickels. A huge congrats to you both. Trapper

Wow solid line up for sure! Where to start, love the thimble and the 50 centavos! You guys did real well, congrats!

Thanks cellrdwellr! We thought that Philippines 50 Centavos was a Walking Liberty half when we first saw it in the dirt.

Dang son, there is just no slowing you down. Another awesome couple of outings. You must have knack for permissions because they all seem to produce shiny. 200 fty is on the horizon. Good luck Mark

Thanks Mark! Have been blessed with some great hunts this month. Don't know about the 200 shiny but might make it!

Nice! Looks like you guys have found some virgin hunting grounds. Congrats.

Thanks JWP - most all the public spots... parks, schools, ballfields around here are hammered, so some of the curb strips and private yards are about all that's left to get good stuff.

Awesome hunt dude! I will bow in your direction. So many pro's on this forum = alot of bowing! :-)

Thanks davedude! Yes, there are some great pros on this forum, I'm not there yet but working on it!

You did awesome as always. Congrats on your very nice finds.

HD

Thank you HD, appreciate your words!

More very fine hunting David. Missoula has been a great ride for you and your buddy. You two dug over 100 Wheat's in 2 days, it took me 8 months to dig 200 this year. A very impressive run for sure with lots of Silver, Sterling, the Indians and old Nickels. A huge congrats to you both. Trapper

Thanks Trapper, yes, Missoula has been good, though I think lots of towns across America could produce just as well. As many including yourself have said, location is the key, as you can be the best detectorist in the world with the best detector, but if nothing old is there, then nothing old will be found!

What an epic couple of days! Great variety too. The Philippine coin is especially neat. And what a wheat harvest! Way to go.

The thing I like most about a post like this is that it shows without a doubt what is actually out there in the ground. Estimates have been made that of all the coins,rings,etc lost, 5% has been recovered. Nobody can know for sure but this just goes on and on and on....and will likely do so for a long time...if people are still willing and able to hunt.
Astounding numbers all around David, that is what called “ making hay while the sun is shining”! And boy is it shining!

Kevin

The thing I like most about a post like this is that it shows without a doubt what is actually out there in the ground. Estimates have been made that of all the coins,rings,etc lost, 5% has been recovered. Nobody can know for sure but this just goes on and on and on....and will likely do so for a long time...if people are still willing and able to hunt.
Astounding numbers all around David, that is what called “ making hay while the sun is shining”! And boy is it shining!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! What you say is so true... there are zillions of old coins and artifacts still in the ground. Money is everywhere underfoot, and I am grateful I have a chance to recover some of it!

Back
Top Bottom