Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 PM

Default I didn't see this coming...

I was back, grinding it out at the homesteads this week. I spend a lot of time, and dug a lot of stuff. At one point, the property owner and some friends came by on a Polaris Ranger to watch me dig a few items. Just after they left, I came across a good coin signal from the Ace 400. I cut the grass plug laid it over, and then started removing 4" x 4" shovels of dirt. As you all probably can relate to, I sometimes see various item related shapes in the loose dirt, and upon further inspection turn out to be just dirt. I saw a weird shape, like an Indian arrowhead in a scoop of dirt. I knelt down ran my pinpointed over it to see if that was the item I was searching for, but it was non-metallic and I threw it in my dirt pile. I stood back up, ran the Ace 400, and it still wasn't metallic. Then it set in, was that an arrowhead I just dug up? Yes it it was, and it wasn't broken by my shovel! At about 4" down, an arrowhead! I can't remember what I found in that hole besides the arrowhead. In a horrible twist of fate, the arrowhead fell out of my shirt pocket at home, and broke in half. So, you will, see a crack and superglue in the pictures. Still, a cool accident find.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2019, 04:50 AM

That is a cool find. At least it made it home safe. Sort of...

Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 AM

That's a nice extra to a day of hunting.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 AM

Nice! Looks like a Pine tree type. Probably had ears at one point. 9,500 -8,500 B.P.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

Wow, very cool find. That could be seriously old. I mean maybe the first Native Americans in your area! Wouldn't that be the bomb there Bro.
Maybe someone can identify the peoples that made that serrated type.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ynnek4 View post
Nice! Looks like a Pine tree type. Probably had ears at one point. 9,500 -8,500 B.P.
Super cool old find but I don't think it is that old. That would put it around early Archaic. I don't think they were using beveled ends like I believe to see in this pic. Still regardless that is an awesome find OP! We have land around me that I find them in doing surface finds after rain but it sure would be cool to dig one up.

I'm no expert myself either but I'd say it could possibly be late Archaic at it's oldest being 3-5 thousand years old. If it's newer it would be Woodland which something like 500 years ago to 3000 years ago.

I'm by far no expert though. lol There is a good book on Amazon called The Official Overstreet Identification and Price Guide to Indian Arrowheads that can help you get in the ball park and will show you what you might find in your area of the US.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Supporter

you must have wanted to just cry, when it fell out!

Cool find!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 PM

That crucial moment when your mind is focused on the metal prize, and you find something else while digging. I've had a couple (very minor, not cool) non-metal finds, but this is really awesome.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Nice find.
Thanks for sharing.