Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 04-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Supporter

Default Believe it or Not a Franklin First for Me!!!

So many of you know enough about my hunting exploits and series of finds that this statement should come as a surprise...BUT, today I finally found a Franklin Half Dollar. Believe it or Not, I have never found/dug a Franklin half dollar, I have found plenty of quarters, a seated, Walkers, Morgans, etc. but never a Franklin.

Today was the day, plus a cool Coventry Silver Spoon ring and 6 Wheaties (oldest is 1946S).

The Franklin was dug in front of a church that has been there since the 1920s and surprisingly was only about 3" down. You could say it was a fresh drop but the raw picture after finding it indicates that the signal was too good but too shallow for anyone else to dig it (or maybe folks haven't hunted this neighborhood in a long time).

Great quick hunt to break up my workday hours.

HH and GL All!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM
Supporter

Congrats on your first franklin! I have yet to find one That ring is really cool too!

Old 04-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Supporter

Yes two nice finds! Congrats!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2019 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $94.03 ($929.24), Silver coins: 15 (21), Wheats: 43 (90), Gold: 1 (25), Plat: 1 (1), .925 12 (71), Rings: 14 (202), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 04-17-2019, 04:05 PM
Elite Member

I was fortunate enough this year to find Both a 52s Franklin and a Beautiful Spoon Ring as well.

The one I found was also only 4" deep and I was like WTH how was this missed by anyone

Congrats on 2 TERRIFIC Finds, one heck of a feeling and a beautiful Coin !!

2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (12) Wheats (65) Rings (16) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP

Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by NCtoad View post
Congrats on your first franklin! I have yet to find one That ring is really cool too!
TY! Now I need to find a SLQ (STILL haven't found one of those yet )

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Yes two nice finds! Congrats!
Thank you GS, very happy to consolidate 5 silver dimes into 1

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
I was fortunate enough this year to find Both a 52s Franklin and a Beautiful Spoon Ring as well.

The one I found was also only 4" deep and I was like WTH how was this missed by anyone

Congrats on 2 TERRIFIC Finds, one heck of a feeling and a beautiful Coin !!
The Franklin rang up (number wise) like a dime on the CTX but the tone said "DIG ME". When it fell into my hands I thought is was a large SS washer until I wiped the face, then I was in disbelief.

I have to say that most of us wouldn't have thought there was silver that shallow so maybe others have passed on it. It could be the same argument that I have for finding Morgans at 3-4 inches...."this can't be what I think it is at this shallow of a depth" kinda of talk....

We have all been there folks....getting tired of digging pennies and dimes....until

Old 04-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

What a beauty. Congratulations on your fiirst ben. I have only dug one myself. A 52

Clad (628.22) Gold 3

Last edited by yooper69; 04-29-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Elite Member

Thatís one coin that still eludes me as well! Nice one Buell!

Old 04-17-2019, 05:54 PM
Supporter

Talking

Originally Posted by yooper69 View post
What a beauty. Congratulations on your fiirst ben. I. Ohave only dug one myself.52
Yea my hunting buddy Cruiserkev has found several... Its just strange what decides to "fall" under our coil

Originally Posted by WyoTom View post
Thatís one coin that still eludes me as well! Nice one Buell!
Thank you Tom.. Funny what some of us can't seem to find but find all sorts of other goodies

Old 04-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Supporter

Congrats on the Franklin! There is nothing like finding large silvers and what a pretty sight they are too.

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1796 Large Cent; Oldest US silver coin: 1861 Liberty Seat Dime; 2017 FTY Clad: $616.38; 2018 FTY Clad: $1,785.42
Most coin record amounts found on a one single various days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2019 FTY Silvers: 35

Old 04-17-2019, 05:59 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Buellride View post
So many of you know enough about my hunting exploits and series of finds that this statement should come as a surprise...BUT, today I finally found a Franklin Half Dollar. Believe it or Not, I have never found/dug a Franklin half dollar, I have found plenty of quarters, a seated, Walkers, Morgans, etc. but never a Franklin.

Today was the day, plus a cool Coventry Silver Spoon ring and 6 Wheaties (oldest is 1946S).

The Franklin was dug in front of a church that has been there since the 1920s and surprisingly was only about 3" down. You could say it was a fresh drop but the raw picture after finding it indicates that the signal was too good but too shallow for anyone else to dig it (or maybe folks haven't hunted this neighborhood in a long time).

Great quick hunt to break up my workday hours.

HH and GL All!!!
Franklin halves are always cool. NICE FIND! The spoon ring is still 1/2 on my bucket list. I found one once, but lost it during the hunt, when I laid down on the grass (and my pouch spilled). Went back the next day, but couldn't find where I lost it! (was a 10 acre park). Cool finds!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Elite Member

Those Franklin half dollars don't pop up too often. Big Congrats!

beephead

Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by JAK View post
Congrats on the Franklin! There is nothing like finding large silvers and what a pretty sight they are too.
I love anything that is shiny out of the ground, the bigger the better

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Skippy SH13 View post
Franklin halves are always cool. NICE FIND! The spoon ring is still 1/2 on my bucket list. I found one once, but lost it during the hunt, when I laid down on the grass (and my pouch spilled). Went back the next day, but couldn't find where I lost it! (was a 10 acre park). Cool finds!
Skippy, we still have to figure out how to link up with all of you ring finds. RainorShine indicated that you two have talked...would love to figure out a hunt one day. You get me on the Yella and I will give you the ring spoon to make up for your loss

Originally Posted by beephead View post
Those Franklin half dollars don't pop up too often. Big Congrats!

beephead
Thank you Beep...Glad I finally found one....

Old 04-17-2019, 09:33 PM
Supporter

Big Ben gets you a big CONGRATS!
The spoon ring is an awesome find too. Either would be a first for me.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

Awesome Franklin! I have actually only found 2 of them and both of mine were shallow too.
With the amount of hunting you do, it's only a matter of time before a SLQ is under your coil, good luck! 😁

Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Gold & Ace 250
Outlaws Metal Detecting Group --- Silver Dollar Club

Old 04-18-2019, 01:50 AM

Got to toss in my own public congrats on the big silver. Last time we hunted together we could only squeak out a couple of silver dimes, and we had to try and ignore the bunch of nude guys at what we now know are clothing optional beaches. Next time, cool, cloudy, wet days at those locations. HH

Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

Very nice Franklin! Had to look sweet in the hole.

Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Big Ben gets you a big CONGRATS!
The spoon ring is an awesome find too. Either would be a first for me.
TY

Originally Posted by cruiserkev View post
Awesome Franklin! I have actually only found 2 of them and both of mine were shallow too.
With the amount of hunting you do, it's only a matter of time before a SLQ is under your coil, good luck! 😁
I do remember one of those Kev. Maybe it was Walkers and Barbers I was thinking of Thank you buddy!

Originally Posted by RainorShine View post
Got to toss in my own public congrats on the big silver. Last time we hunted together we could only squeak out a couple of silver dimes, and we had to try and ignore the bunch of nude guys at what we now know are clothing optional beaches. Next time, cool, cloudy, wet days at those locations. HH
Gale, DO NOT, let folks know about the nude guys...people we start talking Oh well....too late

Originally Posted by StratTone View post
Very nice Franklin! Had to look sweet in the hole.
It did, thank you.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Elite Member

Your still running that hot steak Paul and I'm loving it. Congrats on getting that White Whale with the Franklin Half. The Sterling Spoon Ring is also a very neat find. Keep the finds coming. Trapper

Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

NICE !!!! I've never found a Franklin either...in 36 years of detecting. Have found everything around it but still waiting for a Franklin.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:40 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on a great find. Iím sure seeing big silver had your heart pounding! Keep up the good work.