Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 PM
Elite Member

Default Just cleaning up the beaches...

Some typical recent 2-3 hour hunts. I do like finding lures, as I can put them to good use and they are pricey in the tackle shops. Ah yes, a tungsten ring... it does look nice... too bad the metal is worthless. And a little bit of silver, just enough to lure me back to the beaches again and again The search for gold continues!
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Supporter

Great junk shots and good honest post!! Some damned dummy prob paid $300+ for that Tungsten...Its tragic!...yeah, the fresh lost lure was your money..unless you an shine up that Tungsten and get $20 for it...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Supporter

That looks a lot like my lake hunts here! Got a jar full of lures to rejuvenate some day (put new trebles on them). Congrats on the silver!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $163.22 ($804.72), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 17 (45), Gold: 6 (24), .925 8 (57), Rings: 41 (181), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 10-17-2018, 02:27 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

I like finding lures too even though since I started detecting fishing took a huge nose dive.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Elite Member

Exclamation Cleaning up the Hazards

Good job, to bad the important people in charge of Federal , State land , beaches never see this , as we help clean public place's free of hazards just about every hunt, notice a lot of No metal detecting signs on park sign's, Federal beaches here ,No metal detecting , i will all way's remember this hunt howboutit , Earl IF they saw this , saving there kid's feet from puncture they would re- think the law's of Metal detecting and find it's not all about us trying to find treasure public service DONE, removing hazard's. Picture's are from a beach hunt on the Treasure Coast Of Florida May 2010- 2013 PS Foiled Again what do you do with your sinker's ? I have a ton ?
Attached Images

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Surf Pi DF, Scuba Tector, Sovereign GT, XP Deus WS5, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , Euro Tek Pro, 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:50 PM
Elite Member

I still do a little fishing so any sinkers I find at the beach go into my lead container to be melted down and cast into the size sinkers that I need.

At one time I would melt them and cast them into muzzle loading projectiles.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 PM
OldCherryPicker

I think you did well, plus just getting out is good intel on the conditions.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Great junk shots and good honest post!! Some damned dummy prob paid $300+ for that Tungsten...Its tragic!...yeah, the fresh lost lure was your money..unless you an shine up that Tungsten and get $20 for it...
Thanks Mud. I've found pieces of fishing line with large nuts attached as sinkers -- I'm thinking that those heavy tungsten rings would work just as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
That looks a lot like my lake hunts here! Got a jar full of lures to rejuvenate some day (put new trebles on them). Congrats on the silver!
I replace all the treble hooks with singles. I've seen too many folks impaled with one of the extra barbs when trying to remove the hook from a wild and crazy fish flopping around (think bluefish), and I've come close a couple times myself. Thanks GS.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
I like finding lures too even though since I started detecting fishing took a huge nose dive.
Same problem here. Combo detecting and fishing days are a great solution, if you have the time!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
Good job, to bad the important people in charge of Federal , State land , beaches never see this , as we help clean public place's free of hazards just about every hunt, notice a lot of No metal detecting signs on park sign's, Federal beaches here ,No metal detecting , i will all way's remember this hunt howboutit , Earl IF they saw this , saving there kid's feet from puncture they would re- think the law's of Metal detecting and find it's not all about us trying to find treasure public service DONE, removing hazard's. Picture's are from a beach hunt on the Treasure Coast Of Florida May 2010- 2013 PS Foiled Again what do you do with your sinker's ? I have a ton ?
Thanks Earl. Wow, good work on removing those nasty pointed irons from the beach. I find a lot of them too. Mother Nature does a good job of sharpening them in the salt water. I sell sinkers to a tackle shop where they get recycled at a discount price.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
I still do a little fishing so any sinkers I find at the beach go into my lead container to be melted down and cast into the size sinkers that I need.
At one time I would melt them and cast them into muzzle loading projectiles.
Good idea George. Many years ago my dad and I cast hollow points and reloaded for winter jackrabbit hunting. Gave up casting when it became difficult to find antimony to harden the lead.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by OBN View post
I think you did well, plus just getting out is good intel on the conditions.
Thanks OBN. I think it's good to have a reality check once in a while as to what most hunts are like!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:38 AM

Nice finds, looks like a fun hunt. Kind of like that fancy lure with the bling, just a touch of that shiny, and we're all hooked again, haha!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:49 AM
Elite Member

A nice variety of finds there! Went for an hour at the beach yesterday, got 2 bits of foil, 2 bottle caps, 2 coins ($2.05) and a massive sinker.

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25 Oldest Coin: 1866 English Penny
2018 totals: $1709.80AUD (609x$2, 326x$1, 97x50c, 261x20c, 324x10c, 437x5c, 310x2c, 465x1c) and 193 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 AM
Elite Member

I enjoyed your post . Great photos too !

Old 10-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Supporter

reality check-nice pics. and like you said just enough good stuff to keep you coming back

Old 10-18-2018, 06:21 PM
Elite Member

Silver and a tungsten ring is not bad. Besides you forgot to mention the twist tie.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:23 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by KS Plug Popper View post
Nice finds, looks like a fun hunt. Kind of like that fancy lure with the bling, just a touch of that shiny, and we're all hooked again, haha!
Thanks KS. This hobby's an addiction for sure, but a good one!
Originally Posted by sandgroper View post
A nice variety of finds there! Went for an hour at the beach yesterday, got 2 bits of foil, 2 bottle caps, 2 coins ($2.05) and a massive sinker.
Hey sandgroper, not bad for an hour! Two coins recovered here are more likely to be a dreaded Felix penny and a nickel. We're lucky to find a dollar coin much less 2 AUD.
Originally Posted by Soil Surgeon View post
I enjoyed your post . Great photos too !
SS, thanks for the kind comments!
Originally Posted by melbajoe View post
reality check-nice pics. and like you said just enough good stuff to keep you coming back
Thanks Joe. Can you imagine the hundreds of new FF threads a day if we posted all our dud hunts?
Originally Posted by dirtydog View post
Silver and a tungsten ring is not bad. Besides you forgot to mention the twist tie.
Thanks DD. Oh yeah, those twist ties are pretty scarce and thus very special. My bad.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

Nice batch of finds! It's mazing what kind of dangerous stuff people leave on the beaches......