Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Elite Member

Default Gold and silver from the rocks

Got out yesterday in crappy weather for one of those ďsanity huntsĒ where you donít even care if you find anything and go just to get away from the daily grind. It was raining with a stiff east wind which limited me to a beach thatís basically a giant rock pile with tons of iron and EMI. I spent 4 hours trying to find my happy place and in the process pulled 4 pieces of sterling, musketball and a 14k gold cross.
Hunted well into the dark until my stealth scoop finally had enough and cracked/folded. It was a good run but I donít believe theyíll be able to fix it this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Elite Member

Killer finds!! I canít imagine hunting a beach with rocks and iron and actually finding old stuff lol. I hunt Myrtle beach on my summer vacations and itís 40 foot of sand lol. Congrats on all of your finds

YTD 2018 (351)Wheats (20)IHP (1)FE (2) LC (8)V Nickel (12)Buffs (3)SLQís)(10)War Nickels (61)Silver coins (6)Silver jewelry (1)Gold, Oldest Coin Ch'ien (Qing) Lung T'ung Pao (1736 - 1796), Bao Yuan mint.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:59 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

I'd be happy with the gold but pretty bummed out about the scoop.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post
Killer finds!! I canít imagine hunting a beach with rocks and iron and actually finding old stuff lol. I hunt Myrtle beach on my summer vacations and itís 40 foot of sand lol. Congrats on all of your finds

At least with the equinox, I can hear the good targets in the iron vs just getting nulls from the Excal I used to hunt with. I swear itís like a Deus and an Excal all in one. Thereís so much iron where I was hunting that it wasnt feasible to dig all the nulls with the Excal in the hopes of finding a good target masked in there. Youíd be there all day digging rusted nails and !!!!. The equinox really shines in that heavy iron/salt environment. Now I can hear the iron grunts and the good targets hiding behind them. Iím finding so much stuff at beaches I gave up on. Lots of weird broken /wire type design jewelry too. Now we just gotta get Craig to buy one. I need to get a new coil cover and the 6Ē coil too.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Swinglow View post
At least with the equinox, I can hear the good targets in the iron vs just getting nulls from the Excal I used to hunt with. I swear itís like a Deus and an Excal all in one. Thereís so much iron where I was hunting that it wasnt feasible to dig all the nulls with the Excal in the hopes of finding a good target masked in there. Youíd be there all day digging rusted nails and !!!!. The equinox really shines in that heavy iron/salt environment. Now I can hear the iron grunts and the good targets hiding behind them. Iím finding so much stuff at beaches I gave up on. Lots of weird broken /wire type design jewelry too. Now we just gotta get Craig to buy one. I need to get a new coil cover and the 6Ē coil too.

I dream of hunting a spot like you have!! With every signal it could be gold or silver!!!!

YTD 2018 (351)Wheats (20)IHP (1)FE (2) LC (8)V Nickel (12)Buffs (3)SLQís)(10)War Nickels (61)Silver coins (6)Silver jewelry (1)Gold, Oldest Coin Ch'ien (Qing) Lung T'ung Pao (1736 - 1796), Bao Yuan mint.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

Good saves!

I have a rock beach I have to hunt with a shovel,no scoop will work there.
Its a good place!
I've never seen a stealth so thrashed!

Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Supporter

You are doing it all wrong!
A shovel is the way to go. Why? They can be had for about 5-10 bucks. Break it just buy another one.
It would be a shame to toss such a nice scoop after all the butter it dug for you.
Get it repaired and send it to me and go the shovel route.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Elite Member

Great rock hunt. Man you did the Stealth in! I never saw a Stealth that damaged. Maybe they will send you a new one.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Supporter

Nice going Interesting that you are getting to hit those old abandoned spots. Sounds like you run it in all metal to hear the hidden goodies among the iron. I know that's recommended everywhere, but usually I only have 2 or 3 good hours to put in and usually hunt with the disc on.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the gold and silver finds.

Doesn't the stealth come with a lifetime warranty?

Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 PM
Supporter

Awesome gold crucifix! And I bet theyíll patch that scoop up for you!

Congrats on the gold, and good luck on the scoop!

2 Compadres : 2018 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $152.05 ($793.55), Silver coins: 1 (6), Wheats: 16 (45), Gold: 6 (24), .925 6 (55), Rings: 33 (173), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 10-10-2018, 06:37 AM
Supporter

Congrats on the gold.. haven't seen a scoop like that in a long time.

Last edited by Steve; 10-10-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by dirtydog View post
Great rock hunt. Man you did the Stealth in! I never saw a Stealth that damaged. Maybe they will send you a new one.
nearly 3 years of hunting the rocky CT beaches put a hurt on this scoop. The tip has already been rewelded. Got an email from Owl Engineering (f/k/a Sunspot) telling me to ship it back to see what they can do. Will update when I hear back.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Supporter

Kidding me Geo? Great results for a not perfect conditions hunt! Plus, busting up a Stealth has got to earn some respect! Nice! Although, that little pink tricycle sort of distracts from the overall Manliness of your post...Got us all wondering if its your Daily Driver?

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:55 PM
Supporter

Thats a nice plate of goodies there!!! nice job but I think you can salvage that scoop. I dont know if I would use that kind for heavy rocks but even my Nuttall diamond head scoop needed repair after several years of abuse in rocks and that was heavy duty. Found a guy on Craigslist that did some quick repairs on my scoops and they are as good as new.

Custom AT Pro w/Remote PP & NEL Snake 3.5x6.5 Coil

Old 10-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

I have that same stealth scoop and I love it but I also have a couple of Stavrs. For your conditions maybe a Stavr would be a little stronger especially between the holes.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Nice finds George but I have no interest in one ... I got news for you... the Excal will always be my go to machine.. I do very well with my Excal when I find time to go hunting... if I got another machine it would be another pulse.

Banned Spammers 784

Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

Thatís exactly what I said before trying the equinox. The fact I sold my Excal and Deus and replaced them both with the nox should speak volumes. Iím tellin ya buddy, you donít know what youíre missing. Itís really that good

Old 10-10-2018, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Thatís exactly what I said before trying the equinox. The fact I sold my Excal and Deus and replaced them both with the nox should speak volumes. Iím tellin ya buddy, you donít know what youíre missing. Itís really that good

I know the excal like the back of my hand... I have no need nor want a nox... Im glad your happy with it.. I find gold often because i can read a beach so I don't meander around hoping to find something good...

let me give you another example... that dirt permission where I pulled 20 silver.. I brought a very good dirt hunter friend who hunts with the Deus and the Nox he found a couple pennies I missed with my MXT...

Banned Spammers 784

Old 10-10-2018, 06:16 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Kidding me Geo? Great results for a not perfect conditions hunt! Plus, busting up a Stealth has got to earn some respect! Nice! Although, that little pink tricycle sort of distracts from the overall Manliness of your post...Got us all wondering if its your Daily Driver?

I get 70 miles to the gallon on that hog. Lol