Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 02-19-2018, 12:30 AM
Supporter

Default On the Board for 2018!

On Friday afternoon I finally got fed up with waiting for Spring - the weather was relatively warm and I had about 20 minutes to spare, so I decided to de-winterize the detecting gear and head out for a quick curb strip expedition. I didn't get far with so little time and I found next to nothing to put in the pouch (4 cents total - 3 zincolns and a copper memorial!), but the really important find was that the ground was definitely diggable!!

Today (Sunday) I had some more time available, and although we got about 3/4" of snow overnight, temps climbed rapidly to over 40F by the afternoon. So I went back to the same curb strip to finish it off and within 20 mins I had a Merc dime! And a little later in the hunt, out came a nice silver ring - my heart just about stopped when I saw the clear stone still in it! I seriously doubt it's a real diamond though, but still a super fun find - and I'm ecstatic to notch my first silvers of the year on essentially my first real hunt of 2018 I also got a surprise Wheatie (thought it was a copper memorial until I got it home), some clad, a mangled piece of older costume jewelry, and a big brass ring - maybe horse tack?

Merc out of the hole:

Heart stopped for a moment with this heart shaped ring - the glint from the stone was more prominent in person!!:

Here they are cleaned up:

And the .925 mark:

Destroyed costume ring - the two pieces clearly were tacked together originally, and some sort of outrageously large decorative stone went in the center which I couldn't find in the hole:

Full hunt:

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Last edited by AirmetTango; 02-19-2018 at 08:51 AM. Reason: grammar/clarity

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 AM
Elite Member

Awesome getting out!!!! This winter is killing me...LOL Can't really get out much do to the rain, snow and cold. Anytime getting out is a good time!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 05:49 AM
Elite Member

Nice finds! I wish I had some curb strips to hunt here that werenít so close to peoples houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YTD 2018 (279)Wheats (19)IHP (1)FE (1)Matron Head LC (8)V Nickel (9)Buffs (7)War Nickels (44)Silver coins (6)Silver jewelry (1)Gold, Oldest Coin Ch'ien (Qing) Lung T'ung Pao (1736 - 1796), Bao Yuan mint.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:17 AM

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Supporter

Congrats on the first finds of 2018

Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by wvdave107 View post
Awesome getting out!!!! This winter is killing me...LOL Can't really get out much do to the rain, snow and cold. Anytime getting out is a good time!!!
It really did feel good to get out there again - I guess it's really only been a little over 2 months, but it sure feels like an eternity! Yesterday was just enough to get the addiction kick started again, but I'm paying for it through withdrawal today...it's supposed to get into the 60s today and tomorrow, but it's raining!! Mother Nature can be just flat out cruel!

Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post
Nice finds! I wish I had some curb strips to hunt here that werenít so close to peoples houses
Thanks, cw! I only just started targeting curb strips at the tail end of the season last year, but they are rapidly becoming my favorite, especially when I only have a short time available for a hunt. This one seemed perfect because it used to be residential lots according to the maps for 1912 and 1886, but it's been combined into a commercial business/storage yard since at least 1951 (aerial photo). Older residential homes are still right across the street, and the curb strip still gets quite a bit of foot traffic. I was hoping to get some older finds from the former residential homes that used to be there (and maybe the possible horse tack is older), but I'll take the ring and Merc regardless

Here's a pic of the strip I hunted. There's another 30' or so behind me to the street corner, and the "fluffy" tree in the distance is where I started (residential homes begin there again). The whole strip is about 230' long:

Originally Posted by BlackBetty View post
Nice!
Thanks, BlackBetty!

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 AM

Glad you made it through the cabin fever and congratulations on the finds! Love finding those little silver rings nice Merc too.

Ace 400 Aug 2016 - to Date Oldest coin 1779 4 Maravedies Spain/ Walker (1) Merc (8) Rosie (9) Barb(1) Seated Dime (2) seated Quarter(4)Wash (3) IHP (42) War Nickel (1) Buff (1) Gold ring (1)Gold Necklace(1) Silver rings(8) Silver Necklace(1) PULL TABS 5Million

Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 PM
Elite Member

WTG! Those curb strips donít seem to disappoint too often

Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

It's certainly a great way to start a hunt with a Merc and who doesn't love finding a nice silver ring with a shinny stone in it....smiles.

We had some warmer temps here today but rain came with them. I got about an hour hunt in after the rain let up some. I took the ATP out in the sprinkles and found me a few toasted Lincolns' and a couple of coppers. The ground seemed "active" with all the soaked up rain in it. I hope our winter is just about over, I'm ready for more treasure hunting that's for sure.

HDD

Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Nice finds!

(3)Gold jewelry ($53.17)Clad