Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 12-15-2017, 11:21 PM

Default 11 Gold coins and nuggets *updated* with clean up pics

About 1 week ago I found my first gold coin. It was an 1856s $5 half eagle. I jumped and yelled and mauled my buddy with hugs and mild shaking. I noticed some iron in the hole but kept moving looking for my next target. I turned around and went back over my hole about 3 minutes later. I got a nice tone. I dug it and it was a piece of can! Dang it! I flipped the can over and saw a taco filled with gold coins! Now I really went nuts! Almost missed the big prize! My buddy and I were losing daylight and headed home. When I opened the ďtacoĒ can I saw what looked like seeds in the can. I asked for better lighting and thatís when I saw it was nuggets stuck to the coins and all around them. My mind was completely blown. I didnít sleep much that night. Spent most of it staring at the ceiling. We went back the next day I found another 2 $2.5 and 1 $5 coins. Flash forward again and tonight I bucketed and panned the soil around the can. Eureka again! Lots of little nuggets and flakes. Anyways, I will let the pics do the talking. There are 2 foreign golds in there too. A British Sovereign and French 20 Franc. You east coast guys can keep your coppers! And yes I only posted 2 coins to start. Here is the rest. Enjoy! And yes Im aware how lucky I am!

LONG LIVE The Deus/Hand of God! Bwahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TrashMasterCCS; 01-01-2018 at 10:30 AM.

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Elite Member

I am at a loss for words! Congrats on a find of several lifetimes!

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Elite Member

Speechless. I just ate a fish taco in Hawaii that I thought was pretty special. That's unbelievable. Awesome.

IH: 3, Buffalo/V: 3, Gold: 1

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Supporter

Holy sheet man; Iíd need a few torpedos to calm my nerves if that would even help which I doubt. When we going out hunting together??

Wow, wow, wow wow wow, major congrats on an amazing find!!!

Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Elite Member

I'd probably faint if I'd find something like that! Definitely a once in a lifetime find!

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
2018 totals: $721.94AUD (250x$2, 152x$1, 34x50c, 124x20c, 152x10c, 164x5c, 136x2c, 202x1c) and 69 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.
"Swing till your ears ring!"

Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
I'd probably faint if I'd find something like that! Definitely a once in a lifetime find!

Iím going to prove you wrong! But thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2017, 11:44 PM

I just had a heart attack looking at the pictures and I was not the one who found it. Congratulations definitely a once-in-a-lifetime.

Ace 400 Aug 2016 - to Date Oldest coin 1759-88 4 Maravedies Spain/ Walker (1) Merc (6) Rosie (8) Wash (3) IHP (17) War Nickel (1) Buff (1) Gold ring (1)Gold Necklace(1) Silver rings(8) Silver Necklace(1) Clad($63.88) PULL TABS 5Million

Old 12-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Elite Member

Right on!! Congrats.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2w8S10_T9Ep5TbCeQqR1GQ

Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 AM
Elite Member

Insane finds, that's what we all dream of.
I guess this goes to show us all a lesson, if you find something incredible keep digging!

Old 12-16-2017, 02:42 AM

Mind-boggling find. Congratulations.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:18 AM

No words to describe that find. Congrats to you! Is there any way to tell exactly what that thing was that the coins were in? Also, would you mind listing out the individual dates of the coins, and any mint marks? I can almost see them in the pics but can't zoom in. Thx.

Oldest US Silver: 1821 Capped Bust Dime

Old 12-16-2017, 06:35 AM
Elite Member

freakin' amazing. A purse ! (or "cache" or whatever one wants to call it). And for the crowning glory, you go back to the site and find a few straggler gold coins separately. Sheesk. This is the hole in one / Holy Grail of all md'ing. Other md'rs will now call you "sir". And you can autograph other's detectors.

Looking back at your post history, I see you are from CA. This confirms our suspicions that they were found out west . (Who needs those pesky LC's, colonial coppers, and busts from back east anyhow ? )

As for the nuggets in with the coins: Have you watched Ron (Rocklin CA) videos ? ("California Relic Adventures" @ youtube). He had a find, before he started making live video captures, from about 15+ yrs. ago, in the Folsom/Auburn, CA area: So although it's not on a video, I'm sure you can find a post or pix of it: He got a signal at the base of a rock/boulder outcropping. He found about a dozen coins, that had apparently , at one time, been a leather or cloth purse (there was a metal clasp of the purse left, if I recall). They were all gold rush era seateds, and a single gold coin (a $5, if I recall). And, like your story, he noticed what appeared to be gold nuggets. He collected all the dirt, and went through the tailing with a nugget detector. And got a bunch of nuggets to go with the coins. A miner who had his purse of both nuggets and coins.

I'm ~3+ hrs. from the Sierra foothills. So I don't get over that way very often for relic hunting. But whenever I have (Snelling to Mariposa corridor) it's always been TOUGH work. There is indescribable amounts of iron and slag around all the gold rush tent-city and stage stop and cellar holes type spots. And coins are very difficult to pull. Much less gold coins. And MUCH LESS GOLD COIN CACHES. Big hats off to you !

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 AM
24K Larry

WOW! Now I cant sleep!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:01 AM
Elite Member

That is an amazing find. I usually try to down play amazing finds and be a smart a&& but this deserves total respect. Me next!!!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Supporter

Hey! My Wife has that exact same set of little porcelain sculptures!

What are the odds of that? Incredible!

Really though, what can a guy say? Thats such a dream find...no words seem adequate to congratulate you ..Nice write up and pics about the experience, so a big thank you for sharing this with us!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Elite Member

O...M...G...!!! That's definitely a find of a lifetime! Congrats on the amazing find! Good thing you went back to that spot to recheck.

White's TRX pinpointer

Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Supporter

O LEE CHIT

That's simply amazing, congrats, by the way your wrecked now, might as well give the hobby up, can't imagine you'll ever top that find!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Elite Member

FIND OF A LIFETIME and then some !

It's great when you see people in our hobby make incredible finds like this !

Old 12-16-2017, 07:40 AM
Supporter

My WOW meter just went up!

Old 12-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Elite Member

Makes me want to MDin now!... totally awsome find!