Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Supporter

Smile Supermoon Loot!

Hit a few of my favorite spots for 4 afternoon/evening low tide wet sand hunts over the weekend., not a lot of erosion as usual, but just enough to expose some targets, most of them pretty deep. Crusty Felix pennies and bobby pins were overwhelming and frustrating, but a good flow of clad with an occasional silver/gold item kept me goin. Had the GT running in All Metal/PP for all 4 hunts, anything that tickled my threshold, I dug. For gold I got a 1.8g 22k pendant, a 2 gram 10k Claddagh ring with cz stones. In the silver department I got two 925 ear rings, a 925 silver ring with aquamarine, a 1954D Rosie, a 925 Indonesian pendant missing stone, a 10k gold plated 925 hollow cross, a tungstun and a titanium band. Clad total was impressive at $67.46. And lasty a big load of trash consisting mostly of Felix pennies, bobby pins and tent stakes! man I hate tent stakes!!!

Well thats about it, thanks for looking, good luck and happy hunting out there!
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 AM
OldCherryPicker

Some Great hunting!! Everyone in So Cal must be burying there treasure to keep them from the wild fires! Lots of targets dug, I would be out for a week if I dug that many..

2017 .. Gold Rings 134..........Silvers 176

Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 AM

Very nice!

With many of us striking out on the supermoon, I knew somebody was gonna end up bringing home some loot!

Looks like you worked hard for it, so I'm glad you got some yellow in there! That high K stuff is really cool! I'm still waiting to break the 18k threshold.

Very interesting silvers, too! Lots of variety!

Congrats!

Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 AM

What are Felix pennies?

Old 12-07-2017, 03:04 AM
Elite Member

Great haul (and a decent amount of clad), there are some nice pieces of jewellery in there!

Originally Posted by SeekingtheGold View post
What are Felix pennies?
Crusty zinc cents. FelixtheCat, one of our members on the forum, is 'famous' for digging up truck loads of them!

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1401.68AUD (506x$2, 258x$1, 71x50c, 201x20c, 315x10c, 396x5c, 138x2c, 192x1c) and 82 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:43 AM
A Knight of the Round Coil

The gold is as good as your outstanding clad haul!

What are Felix pennies?
It all started on this thread with the Lincoln Composition Proclamation.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=213378

The Lincoln Composition Proclamation!
Henceforth let it be known, that any penny that is composed primarily of zinc (also referred to as Z-Linc), will be known as a "Felix" in honor of his staunch support of this much maligned form of monetary currency against all evil doers and naysayers of the detecting world.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Supporter

Congrats on all the goodies! Those are some fantastic finds!
Your junk pile looks very similar to my last couple of hunts in total.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Supporter

Great job in less than ideal conditions Slim- congrats on the gold and other jewelry. Wow...that's a lot of clad!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Supporter

That was productive! Great hunting and finding! I like that 22k pendant and the Zippo!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:53 AM

That is a target haul! Where you in the water or on the wet sand?

Old 12-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Elite Member

Ooh Wee! That is a lot of targets! Congrats on pulling out a few keepers from that mess.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Elite Member

Very nice set of finds!!!!

Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Elite Member

Post Nice

Haul, guess the high winds over their are helping with beach erosion, but the sad thing fueling the fires, get it while you can, Earl

Excalibur Blue 1000, Excalibur Blue 800, Dual CTX3030's, Surf Pi DF, Sovereign GT, F -75 SE-Boost & DST , 1976 Coin Master ***** In The Past Detectors used -- Two- E-trac's , V3I, Omega 8000, 3- Euro Tek Pro's,2- F75 Standard, Cz70 Pro, Cz20 , Excalibur Sword built by Gary Storm, Two Excalibur 2's & my 1st - One Hot Blue Excalibur 10

Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Supporter

Goodness, what a haul! I could only wish to get that number of targets in my AO!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

That is some NICE color right there!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by OBN View post
Some Great hunting!! Everyone in So Cal must be burying there treasure to keep them from the wild fires! Lots of targets dug, I would be out for a week if I dug that many..
Thanks OBN! Yea man i'm pretty worn out after 4 straight hunts, major pop-eye arm goin on

Originally Posted by TK-421 View post
Very nice!

With many of us striking out on the supermoon, I knew somebody was gonna end up bringing home some loot!

Looks like you worked hard for it, so I'm glad you got some yellow in there! That high K stuff is really cool! I'm still waiting to break the 18k threshold.

Very interesting silvers, too! Lots of variety!

Congrats!
Thanks TK-421! I definitely hit it as hard as I could, usually the window of opportunity only last about 3 days on a good spot before it closes back up again..I have a feeling a few other hunters had a good run under the supermoon, they're just not posting there finds While I was hunting my areas, I didn't see any other hunters..

What are Felix pennies?
Looks like you got your answer Now go out there and scoop yourself up a nice big pile of Felix Pennies!

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
Great haul (and a decent amount of clad), there are some nice pieces of jewellery in there!

Crusty zinc cents. FelixtheCat, one of our members on the forum, is 'famous' for digging up truck loads of them!
Thanks X-terra70 for explaining the Felix Penny

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
The gold is as good as your outstanding clad haul!

It all started on this thread with the Lincoln Composition Proclamation.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=213378

The Lincoln Composition Proclamation!
Henceforth let it be known, that any penny that is composed primarily of zinc (also referred to as Z-Linc), will be known as a "Felix" in honor of his staunch support of this much maligned form of monetary currency against all evil doers and naysayers of the detecting world.
Thanks Felix! you know I do it all for the dings man!

Great explanation of your beloved pennies!

Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Congrats on all the goodies! Those are some fantastic finds!
Your junk pile looks very similar to my last couple of hunts in total.
Thanks Ron 71! I like clearing out the junk, dont need that stuff masking any good targets

Originally Posted by Compass View post
Great job in less than ideal conditions Slim- congrats on the gold and other jewelry. Wow...that's a lot of clad!
Thanks Compass! Yea I got lucky with a few areas that got some sand pulled down from the super high tides. The surf helped a little but not much in the erosion department. Most of my targets were mid to upper slope and super deep!

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
That was productive! Great hunting and finding! I like that 22k pendant and the Zippo!
Thanks Mud! The Zippo is in pretty good shape, don't think its been in the surf too long. Its pretty jammed up though from the sand, I cant seem to pull out the inside of it..

Originally Posted by Darth_Finger View post
That is a target haul! Where you in the water or on the wet sand?
Thanks Darth-Finger! This was all wet sand slope, I go as far as ankle deep sometimes but that's about it. The Sovereign Gt control box isn't water proof so I try not to risk any watery mishaps

Originally Posted by DaviDs View post
Ooh Wee! That is a lot of targets! Congrats on pulling out a few keepers from that mess.
Thanks DaviDs! Yea what a mess indeed!

Originally Posted by Vermonster View post
Very nice set of finds!!!!
Thanks Vermonster! wish more gold would of popped out, but I'll take what I can get in these weak conditions we've been having

Originally Posted by Surf Master View post
Haul, guess the high winds over their are helping with beach erosion, but the sad thing fueling the fires, get it while you can, Earl
Thanks Earl! Actually the winds were pretty weak at the beaches I hunted. I think the only thing that helped was the super high tides pulling down some sand off the mid/upper slopes. No cuts or visible erosion at all, just slope...

Originally Posted by Buellride View post
Goodness, what a haul! I could only wish to get that number of targets in my AO!
Thanks Buellride! Hoping you hit a mother lode of good targets bud!

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
That is some NICE color right there!
Thanks Z! Yea that high K gold sure does look good!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 PM

Very nice!

Old 12-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Elite Member

Great pix. Great play-by-play. You are one of the few in CA that got anything during those king-tide days. There was no swells, so .... most everywhere was just sterile sand. So congratz on finding an exception !

Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 PM

awesome hunt. I went to the beach yesterday and after 1 hr of LITERALLY not a single target, high winds and sanded in, I just gave up.. Gonna hunt a park in the morning. It's THAT bad in Diego. It's only worth hitting the deepest you can in the water on the lowest of low tides. All else is

Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Supporter

Nice treasure chest! I like the gold, but the silver with that giant aqua is the best.