1849 Punjab campaign medal

gardinerdigger

While detecting the woods behind my house this afternoon I got a 99 on my ace 400. I figured a big piece of iron, and swung in the opposite direction. It still hit 99 with no jumping around. I popped the plug and scanned it, it was still in the hole and hitting 99. I put the pinpointer in still expecting iron but nothing. I started pulling dirt out with the lesche and realized I had popped it out. At this point I got excited as the target was smallish. Once I recovered it with the pinpointed I thought at first it was a silver dollar in a bezel of some sort. Once I got home cleaned it up and did some research I discovered it is an 1849 Punjab campaign medal. It was awarded to an English officer named Christopher Magnay. Pretty crazy to find in Maine. 1121171439.jpg

1121171439a.jpg

That’s freakin awesome. Especially being able to tie it to a name. Congrats!

Wow how cool is that!!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Awesome find, congrats! Makes me wonder if there was an old homestead in those woods.

That is absolutely an extraordinary find! Thanks for the Wiki link Triplet! Not a lot of them produced, and then not many awarded to Anglos, so its a rare and beautiful trophy find you got there Gardinerdigger!...I doubt we will ever see another one found by anybody!

While detecting the woods behind my house this afternoon I got a 99 on my ace 400. I figured a big piece of iron, and swung in the opposite direction. It still hit 99 with no jumping around. I popped the plug and scanned it, it was still in the hole and hitting 99. I put the pinpointer in still expecting iron but nothing. I started pulling dirt out with the lesche and realized I had popped it out. At this point I got excited as the target was smallish. Once I recovered it with the pinpointed I thought at first it was a silver dollar in a bezel of some sort. Once I got home cleaned it up and did some research I discovered it is an 1849 Punjab campaign medal. It was awarded to an English officer named Christopher Magnay. Pretty crazy to find in Maine. View attachment 400116

View attachment 400117
great find. was it silver?

AWESOME ! Probably one of a kind find. Looks to be silver---? I would submit your find/story to Garretts find of the month contest, you could win a AT Pro pointer. I am sure that is one of the most awesome finds out there. Good luck Mark

Thanks everyone! It is silver, and very heavy. The area I found it in has a long and varied uses. In the general area I've found several coppers including kg 2's and early large cents as well as 2 1 reales. There have also been a lot of cool relics such as shoe buckles and such. I'm thinking there may have been a ferry and some sort of tavern as it is on the water.

Outstanding find - how did you determine which soldier it was awarded to - is it engraved? Congrats.

Back
Top Bottom