1st Merc, Trolley Line Artifacts

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
So, literally just yesterday I was admiring Stiffwrist's Merc dime that he posted, and wistfully hoping for one of my own...imagine my disbelief today, barely 16 hours later, when my own Merc finally popped out of a plug!

I went back to a public spot with some history that has been good to me over the past few months - it's been my "go to" site when time is short, or I don't feel like bothering with a door knock/permission. There are some spots on the site that I haven't gotten to yet, but today I decided to re-work an area that I had hit not long after I had gotten the detector. I figured that the last time I covered that spot, it was dry - height of summer. Plus I was new then - I was curious to see if I might find stuff that my inexperienced self missed!

Not 10 minutes into the hunt, while working along a sidewalk edge, I caught a jumpy high tone signal, and as "faint" as you can call a tone on a bell-tone machine. Tough to describe - the bell-tone was a little hard to isolate, and sounded more like a copper Lincoln than anything else. Pinpoint mode was where the "faintness" came in - I got a definitive pinpoint, but even at it's maximum, the tone was weak. The depth was interesting though, indicating 6-8", which is where this site produces it's interesting stuff. Dug down, and was rewarded with my very first Merc:

FieldMerc.jpg

Maybe it was the wetter soil (we've had quite a bit of rain lately), maybe it was more savvy, experienced hunting - or some combination thereof - but I know I was over that very spot last time, because I definitely ran along the sidewalk!

Here's some shots of the Merc cleaned up with running water and a little dish soap:

MercFront.jpg

MercBack.jpg

I also managed to dig up some other neat artifacts, including some that were probably associated with the old electric trolley line that ran through the site:

Keeper1113.jpg

The wheel bearing race and large washer may have been from the trolley line in some fashion. The large bolt and screw looking item at the top is stamped "Joslyn 4 SOL" - Joslyn was a manufacturer of high voltage overhead power line equipment, so it seems likely it was part of the trolley line equipment. Same with the old Kearny Corp fuse link end:

HighVoltage.jpg

Congrats! Great detail on that Mercury! I remember my first one. Here's to many more! (Also thanks for mentioning me in your post) :grin:

Congratulations on your first Merc! You will never forget that spot where you found it..even after a very long time you could point it right out and tell the story to someone....

Whats up with the 3 on the 1943? It looks like it dropped down a little? the top edge of the 4 looks a little frinkley too... Is that a mis-strike? Anybody know?

Congrats! Great detail on that Mercury! I remember my first one. Here's to many more! (Also thanks for mentioning me in your post) :grin:

Thanks, SW! I’m pleasantly surprised by the detail - I know the backs of Mercs typically wear quite a bit, so maybe this one didn’t see much circulation before it was dropped. I’ve been finding a lot of stuff from the 40s and earlier on the site, so could very well have been dropped soon after minting!

Glad to drop your name in the post! Crazy coincidence that I had just replied to your Merc post the night before!

Congratulations on your first Merc! You will never forget that spot where you found it..even after a very long time you could point it right out and tell the story to someone....

Thanks Mud! I’ve no doubt that’s true - same with the Barber I found recently (it’s been a good couple weeks of detecting for me!). In fact, my silver finds are few enough at this point that I recall each one quite vividly so far! But the “firsts” are surely going to be the ones that stick :grin:

Whats up with the 3 on the 1943? It looks like it dropped down a little? the top edge of the 4 looks a little frinkley too... Is that a mis-strike? Anybody know?

That’d be awesome if it turns out to be a mis-strike coin! I honestly thought the date looked odd too...even the “9” seems a little off. Wikipedia mentions that “many Mercs weren’t fully stuck” causing loss of detail...maybe this is an example of that? Most of the other detail looks pretty sharp though.

awesome find! i just found my first merc last night too!

Thanks! And congrats to you too!

Congrats on your first Merc and the rest of the finds...nice hunt!

Thanks Captn S!

The Mercury dime is a beautiful coin, one of my favorite designs, Congrats on saving that one!

Thanks Ron! I really love the design too - much better than the Rosie, for sure!

I thought it looked a little odd too. After a few searches, turns out ALL 1943 dimes have that dropped down appearance... OOOPS! I think I just let the world know that I'm not finding too many mercs! :laughing:

nice merc, there will be more where that came from now that you got the first one.

Mercury Dime

Congratulations on your first Mercury dime. I remember my first merc, laying in the bottom of the hole, as I pulled the plug out. There it was, lying heads up, clear as a bell, I could not believe my eyes. It had been over fifty years since I had seen my last one, when I was a kid. When I go metal detecting now, I'm always looking for a mercury dime, there my favorite coin.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom