Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 09-09-2017, 02:19 AM
Supporter

Default Almost duped that I got gold...

I went for out half day today.

Half way into the hunt I got a high tone and dug.

About 4" down I saw something gold colored, small, coin looking, covered with wet dirt. OMG!!!! I started to cr_p my pants.

It was a gold coin I thought. Just like the one I just saw posted on the forums this morning... "1856 gold coin". All I could see was an eagle of some sort. My eyes are bad. I turn off my machine cuz I don't want to be bothered due to this find.

I wipe some of the mud off, I see eagle with snake in it's mouth and some Spanish writing. It's okay I thought... Spanish or English, who cares, It's gold.

I turn the coin around. It's dated 1985 and says $20. I think, this is okay for at least it's a twenty dollar gold coin. And plus the weight and all? Still thinking ka-ching, ka-ching.

I pull out my cellphone. I google it. It's Mexican 20 pesos. It's worth less than a US dollar. I become deflated.

Man O Man!!! This hobby can give you a heart attack, and all for naught.

But all-in-all, I got 11 wheaties, a beautiful 1941 Merc and a ring of which I know nothing about. No markings. Probably copper.

Anyways, thanks again for looking.
Attached Images

Old 09-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Elite Member

Nice merc!!! I had a English coin that was gold colored once fool me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-09-2017, 10:30 AM

A Mexican coin and a gold plated chain did the same thing to me at the beach once. I know that adrenaline rush, followed by the big let-down, can't be good for your health, but the soft gleam of silver makes up for it.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Elite Member

Nice merc, you could sell the ring in a garage sale?

Old 09-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Elite Member

A couple years I was detecting a city park that once was a school. Had a high tone and cut the plug. Lifted the plug and I could see the rim of a coin and it was a pretty yellow. With trembling hands I carefully extracted the coin and even more carefully wiped the dirt off the coin.

Then deflation set in as I had found a Gold Plated modern quarter. Don't folks know that one of those fake gold coins could give an old man a heart attack.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:28 PM

I feel ya...i think we've all had heart-stopper finds that went bust. I was at the beach a couple weeks ago, came across an odd signal late at night. My eyes aren't great in the dim light and I had my headlamp off. I dug up a massive guy's bracelet chain. All I could tell was it was yellow-ish. As I was planning my retirement, I snapped on my headlamp. my heart sank as the pink coppery color phased into focus. As if that wasn't enough, it kicked me in the gut with the stamped word, "copper" on the latch.

And, while we're on the subject, gold-colored pull tabs are the worst.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Supporter

In LA, those should be quite common. I find maybe three per month up here in Sac.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:27 PM

LOL - We've all been there, believe me! That big old honking ring would've piqued my interested.

hh,
Cal

Old 09-09-2017, 07:21 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Happa54 View post
I went for out half day today.

Half way into the hunt I got a high tone and dug.

About 4" down I saw something gold colored, small, coin looking, covered with wet dirt. OMG!!!! I started to cr_p my pants.

It was a gold coin I thought. Just like the one I just saw posted on the forums this morning... "1856 gold coin". All I could see was an eagle of some sort. My eyes are bad. I turn off my machine cuz I don't want to be bothered due to this find.

I wipe some of the mud off, I see eagle with snake in it's mouth and some Spanish writing. It's okay I thought... Spanish or English, who cares, It's gold.

I turn the coin around. It's dated 1985 and says $20. I think, this is okay for at least it's a twenty dollar gold coin. And plus the weight and all? Still thinking ka-ching, ka-ching.

I pull out my cellphone. I google it. It's Mexican 20 pesos. It's worth less than a US dollar. I become deflated.

Man O Man!!! This hobby can give you a heart attack, and all for naught.

But all-in-all, I got 11 wheaties, a beautiful 1941 Merc and a ring of which I know nothing about. No markings. Probably copper.

Anyways, thanks again for looking.
LOL First time I came across Pesos, it was $100. I didn't have quite the same reaction, because I'd gone to Mexico... so I simply tossed it to my son, and told him I found a $100 gold coin. HE almost pooped himself. Made me laugh. Made him mad. LOL

Still, though, you had fun! Woot!

Skippy

Old 09-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Elite Member

I was in a park and dug a gold coin. I was happy beyond belief until I realized it was one of those rip off, gold coated presidential dollars advertised on tv.

Worse, it somehow got mixed with some coins headed for the tumbler. Knocked all the "gold" right off of it.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Supporter

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I guess it happens all the time.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Supporter

I really want a $50 gold Peso, but don't want to pony up 16 $100 bills for it.

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Elite Member

First let me congrats you on some nice finds. I'd have that ring looked at closer. Second been here done that. Digging in a park saw a good colored coin in the hole. About fainted until I got it out and saw it was European and basically worthless. Oh well. Was a great adrenaline rush.

Machines: Whites Dual Field, Garrette's AT Pro, Fisher CZ-21

Old 09-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by gismapper View post
And, while we're on the subject, gold-colored pull tabs are the worst.
glad I'm not the only nut who sees one of those on edge and gets excitied at the thought of a gold ring or am I?

2 Compadres : 2017 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $181.15 ($620.85), Silver coins: 0 (4), Wheats: 5 (28), Gold: 4 (17), .925 19 (47), Rings: 36 (133), Oldest Coin: 1940 CAN cent, 1940 Jefferson, 1940d Wheat

Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Don't feel bad, I found a $1000 "gold" mexican coin a couple years ago.....only worth about 75 cents

The Good Lord above has led me to one 1890-cc silver dollar, 1 Barber quarter, 1 mint Standing Liberty quarter, 9 silver washington quarters, 4 Standing Liberty half's, 2 Buffalo nickels, 2 Barber dimes, 67 Mercury dimes, 57 Roosevelt dimes, $499 clad, 6 gold rings, 5 silver rings. I use an MXT All Pro & a Whites 6000 DI Pro

Old 09-13-2017, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
glad I'm not the only nut who sees one of those on edge and gets excitied at the thought of a gold ring or am I?
They get me every time!

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by X-Terra70 View post
They get me every time!
We need a support group!