Another cool token....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Can't find a thing about this one on the net anywhere...nothing.
Not on any token site, nothing on eBay, I will still be searching but this one might be a bit rare.
Might have been part of a keychain or made to be worn as a medallion.
Large and brass, the size of a half dollar, a good luck token with a hole that had to be sold in the vicinity of a famous landmark, the Natural Bridge of Virginia.

453990.jpg

Great history about this place, it used to be said that Niagara Falls and this site were the top 2 places to visit in this country if you wanted to consider yourself well travelled.
Washington supposedly surveyed it in 1750, Jefferson owned it and the surrounding land for awhile, still a top tourist destination.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Bridge_(Virginia)

This token has to be old, been in the ground for decades from the amount of dirt I had to scrub off of it just to see any words or that image.
Found in the front lawn of a house on my block built in the mid 20's, I frequently find old items and coins from the early part of the last century around here.

There are hotels in the area of this bridge, there is one called The Natural Bridge Historic Hotel that was built in 1963 after the original hotel burned down.
The original hotel was built in the 1890's and called the Appledore but changed their name to that historic one early in the 1900's.

Here is a pic of that first hotel soon after it was built.

4a05251v.jpg

This token might have came from the gift shop in that very hotel...or from somewhere else in the vicinity.

Pretty cool, love finding tokens of any kind, I just hope I can track down more history about this thing one day.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75805_1498744713_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75805_1498744713_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 124
  • user10659_pic75804_1498744713_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75804_1498744713_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 121
Cool find DIGGER! It isn't much help as to the history of the token or anything but I found an EBay sale of one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEY-TAG-GOOD-LUCK-NATURAL-BRIDGE-VA-OLD-CONDITION-W23-AC3952-/192051808270

Thanks!
Mine might look better than this one if I cleaned it up some more.
Cleaner anyway.
The details on mine aren't quite as sharp so it could have been carried around for awhile...or the ground could have done that.
Not deep but in an area with really compacted clay/dirt.

I will tumble it and get it looking like brass again and put it on my keys.
I can use all the good luck I can get.

Back
Top Bottom