Penny mystery.

Chipk

Elite Member
I was curb strip hunting yesterday and found a small number of pennies. Two wheats and the rest were memorials. Ho-hum!

When I got home I realized that one seemed a little different. It felt slightly larger and slightly lighter. It looked like the rest but just felt.....different.

I tossed it in the tumbler tonight with a handful of other dirty pennies. After a couple of hours of going around and around I pulled it out and compared it to another penny. Looks just like the others, no obvious distortion as you would expect if it had been smashed. Placed the second penny on top of it. Yep, it is slightly larger as the rim extends beyond the second. Put them on my scale. The second penny weighs 29 grams and this one weighs 22 grams.

Oddity or not? Has anybody else seen one like this? Am I facing tremendous wealth or is it worth....a penny? Very curious.

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 501
I found this link where someone finds a penny like yours and someone else suggests it "looks like what's known as a "Texas" cent. It was put between 2 pieces of leather and pounded on with a rubber mallet which slightly enlarges the coin and cracks off all the plating"

The second penny should weigh more than the first its made of copper the other is zinc. I think you meant grains not grams.
The 2nd penny looks like a 1927 should weigh 3.1 grams, the 1rst oversize one should weigh 2.6 grams. I can't explain the larger diameter though, eggs explanation makes sense though. very cool find!

What do you think it is? Still curious about this one. Need to take it to a coin dealer. I know the pics aren't the best.

Nice chain by the way.

If you figure it out let me know. Im trying to remember where I put mine to take a pic. Im sure its the same as yours though. Metal but lighter than a real cent. Feels "different".

Back
Top Bottom