Found a small cleaver, had it restored and It's beautiful!

catskillcomics

About a week and 1/2 ago I found a small 5" cleaver in the cornfield., the first thing that came across my mind was I was going to have it restored. I asked a local knife maker to do the task and it came out beautiful.. we agreed to have the blade beveled on both sides so it could be used as a kitchen cutlery rather than a cleaver..
There is a maker's name on it, but can't make it out yet.

Attachments

• knives.jpg
    knives.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 719
That is one cool find. I like that you made it a functional utensil again. Well done!

I too found a cleaver recently. It was buried a few inches down and in nearly as bad of shape as yours. I was lucky as the handle had not rotted off yet. A little electrolysis treatment really does wonders on this old steel. :grin:

Attachments

• IMAG0381.jpg
    IMAG0381.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 422
Super Sweet find.... I've always wanted to find an ax head / knife that was worn like your find and bring it back to life!!!! Been digging a ton of iron signals hoping for a similar find as yours.

Congrats!!

I can honestly say that this has put a spark in me to have my corn knife I found in a field restored! That is one great looking restoration would look nice hanging on a wall! Can I ask how much it cost to restore? Nice find!

MetalHead

Hey Metalhead,
I paid the guy $75 to clean/sharpen the blade and put a new handle on it, which is cherry burl and antelope. I'm sure prices varies depending on the size of the knife, but He's on facebook, his daughter handles all the communications, https://www.facebook.com/danbach.gunpowderpro

I can honestly say that this has put a spark in me to have my corn knife I found in a field restored! That is one great looking restoration would look nice hanging on a wall! Can I ask how much it cost to restore? Nice find!

MetalHead

Back
Top Bottom