First run with the Mojave....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Just a short one, got lots to do today so a longer hunt at another time.
Just a little jaunt in some curb strips near my house.

Compared to my Compadre....sense was maxed throughout.

Sound...Ken says not quite as sharp, I agree, frequency is about the same but it is like more bass was added in and some treble taken out but not a big deal.
Over good targets it was crisp enough.

Hi-Low switch....didn't seem to affect much, the lawns here are still mineralized but black dirt mostly, the real red stuff I will head to on my next outing.
Bobbing the coil it seemed quiet both ways.

Disc...very similar to the Compadre but missing the same marks on the dial.
Wish they were there, this color palette seems a little kindergardeny but it seems to disc out in the same areas and me and my talented thumb know those areas well without even looking much so again...I will deal.

Appears my thumb up, thumb down method and listen to how solid targets come in still works, the coins came in mostly without noise so, great.
Not quite as sharp on the disc on zincolns as my Compadre.
One disced out with the knob maxed and with just a hair's twist to the left it came in super solid with no noise but a bit higher than my Compadre which will disc these out at 3:00 99.9% of the time.
Very similar to an 8" coil Compadre I tried for two weeks when the came out, a little more sloppy than I am used to...on those zincolns anyway.
Not thrilled with this but again...I will learn to live with it.
Might be the new coil causing this, different electronics maybe or whatever.

Pinpointing....right on and easy, I looked at the epsilon mark while listening for the beep and the target was there every time.
The coil does seem to have the wires out further to the edge than my old 7" coil which didn't seem to have that.
I always suspected the old 7" coil was really a 5.75" coil in a bigger body.
This might help with a bit more depth around here but we will see.

Depth...not bad but nothing was deep on this run.
The nickel and dime were the deepest at about 3-4", my Compadre can hit that even in the bad stuff so a better test for this later.

Noise factor...nothing, but the next place I go will have power lines on three sides, red clay and tons of trash and iron with very few good targets left so a good test of that mineralization switch, depth, separation and everything else.

One cool thing...one copper cent I dug was in the same small hole as this rusted screw and the signal was a definite dig me solid one so...yay!

user10659_pic75403_1494867103_PerfectlyClear.jpg

On the other hand some rusty iron did not disc out but not the best sounding, sharpest signal on that one so I can adapt.

I didn't really need this one but I was curious to see if it can handle the bad stuff here a little better, hopefully get a little deeper.
Even an extra inch over the Compadre would be huge but who knows, it might do even better than that...or not.
I will take it out on some upcoming hunts and probably bring along the Compadre eventually to compare signals.
Plus, I hear it still does the double beep thing next to big metal but I have yet to see this for myself.

Otherwise I love the color and the looks, operation is like a Tesoro should be and I am 21¢ closer to paying this thing off than yesterday.
I hope we will become good friends.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75402_1494867103_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75402_1494867103_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Sound...Ken says not quite as sharp, I agree, frequency is about the same but it is like more bass was added in and some treble taken out but not a big deal.

Hi-Low switch....didn't seem to affect much, the lawns here are still mineralized but black dirt mostly, the real red stuff I will head to on my next outing.

Wish they were there, this color palette seems a little kindergardeny but it seems to disc out in the same areas and me and my talented thumb know those areas well without even looking much so again...I will deal.

Appears my thumb up, thumb down method and listen to how solid targets come in still works, the coins came in mostly without noise so, great.
One disced out with the knob maxed and with just a hair's twist to the left it came in super solid with no noise but a bit higher than my Compadre which will disc these out at 3:00 99.9% of the time.
Very similar to an 8" coil Compadre I tried for two weeks when the came out, a little more sloppy than I am used to...on those zincolns anyway.

Pinpointing....right on and easy, I looked at the epsilon mark while listening for the beep and the target was there every time.
The coil does seem to have the wires out further to the edge than my old 7" coil which didn't seem to have that.

The nickel and dime were the deepest at about 3-4", my Compadre can hit that even in the bad stuff so a better test for this later.

Noise factor...nothing, but the next place I go will have power lines on three sides, red clay and tons of trash and iron with very few good targets left so a good test of that mineralization switch, depth, separation and everything else.

One cool thing...one copper cent I dug was in the same small hole as this rusted screw and the signal was a definite dig me solid one so...yay!

View attachment 385502

On the other hand some rusty iron did not disc out but not the best sounding, sharpest signal on that one so I can adapt.

I didn't really need this one but I was curious to see if it can handle the bad stuff here a little better, hopefully get a little deeper.
Even an extra inch over the Compadre would be huge but who knows, it might do even better than that...or not.
I will take it out on some upcoming hunts and probably bring along the Compadre eventually to compare signals.
Plus, I hear it still does the double beep thing next to big metal but I have yet to see this for myself.

Otherwise I love the color and the looks, operation is like a Tesoro should be and I am 21¢ closer to paying this thing off than yesterday.

What does aluminum sound like ? Do you still get the shrilly shrieking sounds or is that gone ?

View attachment 385502

Do you still run with Fisher?

What does aluminum sound like ? Do you still get the shrilly shrieking sounds or is that gone ?

Didn't run over any on this hunt but I never really heard that annoying sound on my Compadre.
On that one most aluminum would come in pretty noisy dialing down so I could tell.
Now on my Vaq with the high tone the sound of decent sized aluminum would instantly make me wince and grit my teeth every time.
Both hated that sound and loved that a high tone Vaq could do this at the same time.

Didn't run over any on this hunt but I never really heard that annoying sound on my Compadre.
On that one most aluminum would come in pretty noisy dialing down so I could tell.
Now on my Vaq with the high tone the sound of decent sized aluminum would instantly make me wince and grit my teeth every time.
Both hated that sound and loved that a high tone Vaq could do this at the same time.

I get that with all three of my Tesoros. It might be my impaired hearing.....

Do you still run with Fisher?

Yes, the F70 is still my prime, will be for the foreseeable future.
Between the tones and the screen plus some strange behavior I have noticed in my weird soil I have more indicators to help me find more and dig less trash.
My Tesoros find a bunch too but I pull them out mostly for fun and a change of pace and that will never end.

Thanks for the post digger! Looking forward to more, especially in trashy areas and the depth compares to the compadre.

Back
Top Bottom