GOLD! This morning's hunt...

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Rings #74 and 75 came today, from a happy little add-on hunt.

I got to use the metal detector this morning to help a friend find a property marker to avoid having to hire a surveyor. After the event, I just typed in "nearby Schools" (since I was out of the city limits). I found a middle school I'd never hunted before and went there. I had a permit for the city already, but had never hunted this school.

I didn't find a ton, as it was a fairly new school (maybe 4-5 years?), but enough to keep it interesting. I did find a broken part of a pocket watch (used to be a farmer's field... just the guts of the watch. About half way through the junk ring showed up near the long jump station at the middle school field.

At the end of the hunt, along the line of the football field, I had a nice 60 signal. I reached for my phone to take a video, but realized I'd left it back at the car! DOH! The 60 signal ended up being the 14K ring. Missed the video, but got a gold!

So... #75 for the year is gold #6 for the year. Boomsauce! Great day! Found a survey marker, found a gold ring... and I'll probably get out again later this evening! woot!

Skippy

EDIT: Weighed it. 4.33 grams. $102 in spot. :D

Attachments

• IMG_2199.JPG
    IMG_2199.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2197.JPG
    IMG_2197.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Thanks everybody... The day just kept getting better. Pulled a honker class ring this afternoon! Will be posting a new thread. :)

You keep nailin those rings, congrats!

So what is the process for you to get permitted in your town?

You keep nailin those rings, congrats!

So what is the process for you to get permitted in your town?

I hunt several towns. In my OWN town, Metal Detecting is specifically allowed. There's an ordinance allowing it, and everything!

In the city to the West, permits are free, you just have to go to the rec center. In the city to the East, permits cost $10, and you have to show up for a little class... but the permits aren't enforced at ALL. Most cops don't even know there is a permit, and they don't care, as long as you're being nice and keeping things nice.

In the several cities to the North, one of which I hunted in this afternoon, there's no permit required. I call in finds to Parks and Rec, but they don't keep a list of losses for more than a few months. (in fact, their signs all read, "not responsible for lost items." But... as the landowners of the parks, I typically call them in. The gal there is always really nice, and when I call in something that isn't reported, I always get a "you can keep it as treasure!" Those are magic words I like to hear. :)

Cheers!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom