Uncle Ben and a Barber......

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
Just got back from that ball field where I got the spill that had the 1935 Walker a couple weeks ago.

Lightning struck again! :kingdances:

Got my first Ben Franklin! A 1902 Barber dime with a couple religious items also fell prey to us. Might have the last year for Ben too. The clad was a buck and some change. The barber was an honest 9 inches deep under tree roots. All I got was a chirp from the Pro and no VDI.

You guys have to work the edges of these parks.
My theory is that the old high traffic areas have been slammed. Clad will keep coming back, but maybe being the first to get coil over old ground is priceless.

Thanks for looking! :kingdances:

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 367
Two halves in quick succession is something that doesn't happen very often,and doesn't happen to most people at all! VERY nice finds and great intuition with the machine,THAT is the way it's done! You would have to think,"Did I just find all the good coins in that place?" I think you know your answer...

Awesome work there Dave! As far as halfs go, BF Halfs are not a common find. Congratulations on your streak here!...looks like we have the same kind of weapons..the F70 and the Pro make a great all purpose and year round team!
Mud

95% of the silver I have dug from a public park has come from within 10 feet of the park's edge. Many have come within 3 feet.

Everyone searches the middle of the park. That is why there is little silver to find there. It is the edges that hold the last vestiges of silver.

Cool! I got another featured Thread!!! :D

Thanks for the recognition everyone! :yes:

Two halves in quick succession is something that doesn't happen very often,and doesn't happen to most people at all! VERY nice finds and great intuition with the machine,THAT is the way it's done! You would have to think,"Did I just find all the good coins in that place?" I think you know your answer...

IDX, there is no telling if there could still be any good coins.

The Franklin was only like 20 feet from where I got the Walker.

95% of the silver I have dug from a public park has come from within 10 feet of the park's edge. Many have come within 3 feet.

Everyone searches the middle of the park. That is why there is little silver to find there. It is the edges that hold the last vestiges of silver.

Bottle, it could be that most of the people spending time on the field are the athletes. To some extent, these folks generally aren't carrying coins on them like a spectator nor are they wearing as much jewelry.

Bottle, it could be that most of the people spending time on the field are the athletes.

I am more concerned about the people in days long since past that would sit in the cool shade of a tree to escape the heat because that thing called AC didn't exist. Or, the kids hanging from the tree branches and having their treasures coins fall out of their pockets. Trees generally ring the edges of the park. Ball fields - those are another story all together. Ballplayers I suspect didn't lose much in the way of change. Jewelry, yeah, probably. The ones who lost the money were they kids playing pickup ball, people in the stands and people at concession. I would still focus around trees near a baseball field. People would sit under those to watch a game. Fences surrounding the playing area are a modern construct so people had unobstructed views back in the day and could sit where they wanted.

I am more concerned about the people in days long since past that would sit in the cool shade of a tree to escape the heat because that thing called AC didn't exist. Or, the kids hanging from the tree branches and having their treasures coins fall out of their pockets. Trees generally ring the edges of the park......

That's where the Barber was. It was at the base of a huge pine tree.

I had to carefully work it out in between tree roots.

Let me know if you want to work this place sometime. It's a real sleeper.

This ball field was built in the 1950's but I'm sure kids were here playing long before that, hence the 1930's spill from a couple weeks ago.

It's private property, but I met the president of the league last night. I got his blessing too.

Back
Top Bottom