The hay is cut at last!

bodkin

Elite Member
Hi all.

My detecting buddy Dave and I had the nod that the hay had been cut on one of our permissions, and by Tuesday it was baled and being collected. So Tuesday and Wednesday after work I headed over and managed over two hours on both evenings. Lots of chopped up aluminium drinks cans meant plenty of digging but finds were more elusive. Still, I did manage a few bits and bobs including a George II Ha'penny and a George III Penny along with buttons, a lead soldier, an interesting lead seal with an anchor and SCW or SCV and 130 scratched into the back.

Thursday evening we checked out another field for a quick search where thing were not looking promising at all. I dug blobs of lead, aluminium can shreds and rubbish. On my last strip before calling it a day, I did manage to recover a musket ball - which was something I suppose..... Thinking that there had to be something in 2nd field other than rubbish, we headed back today. I managed about 4 hours until it started to rain, but did a bit better than yesterday. I managed a few more Ha'pennies, a Russian bale/sack seal, a fragment of bronze that possibly is from a cooking pot and the head of a horse. My best find today was a 1607 hammered Sixpence of James I of England and VI of Scotland. Dave also managed a folded hammered Sixpence of Elizabeth I - a first for him, and his Dodgy Deus! :lol: Well done Dave!

Many thanks,

b.

Attachments

• rsz_dscf5126.jpg
    rsz_dscf5126.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 503
  • rsz_dscf5127.jpg
    rsz_dscf5127.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 512
  • rsz_dscf5133.jpg
    rsz_dscf5133.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 473
  • rsz_dscf5132.jpg
    rsz_dscf5132.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 467
  • rsz_dscf5131.jpg
    rsz_dscf5131.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 471
  • rsz_dscf5130.jpg
    rsz_dscf5130.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 479
  • rsz_dscf5129.jpg
    rsz_dscf5129.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 488
  • rsz_dscf5128.jpg
    rsz_dscf5128.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 473
Bunch of cool oldies there!

What is the item I circled in your picture?

Good luck on the next hunt!!

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160724_011306.jpg
    IMG_20160724_011306.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 370
In the lake:?: Was there a 1700 - 1800's house nearby?

Lol, I find everything in the water.. Even golf clubs, and aluminum step ladders lol..

Pretty old stuff in the water where I found it.. Pretty sure it's the same thing as yours? Pictured with the finds that day...

There were also big enough boats to maybe have the same?

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20160530_182959.jpg
    IMG_20160530_182959.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 218
Lol, I find everything in the water.. Even golf clubs, and aluminum step ladders lol..

Pretty old stuff in the water where I found it.. Pretty sure it's the same thing as yours? Pictured with the finds that day...

There were also big enough boats to maybe have the same?

<°)))>{

It's the same thing I'd say...... Maybe from a Galleon :lol:

Thanks again Bodkin, sorry I sort of hijacked your thread... Love that old stuff!!

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Not all buddy. I'm happy to answer questions or chat about finds. I appreciate the interest and I was amazed I could help with an ID.

Funny, I didn't even post it in the ID section.. I figured it would go unsolved.. Then I saw the one you posted and was like hey I've seen one of those!

My buddy sent me a link to this video of a similar one in action...

Good luck and thanks again for sharing!!

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom