Morgan Dollar From The Ocean

swinginCPA

My buddy and I were hunting below a large cut sand dune in February and ran into some luck. First he dug up a Morgan and shortly after I found one. His is in slightly better condition than mine. The date is not legible in either one. Since the date is not readable, I have no choice but to clean it somehow. I've been looking at a few different methods, both chemical and electrolysis. Any input is appreciated.

The beach where I found it had some really fast, big and powerful waves. One minute the waves would go out and a large section of the beach would open up, and the next minute a wave would crash all the way up against the base of the cliff, three or four feet high. Very deceiving and dangerous. The beach was sloped as well.

The next day I returned to the beach by myself. I had a wave hit me when I had my back to the surf. It knocked me off my feet and dragged me 5 feet up the slope until I was able to get up. I was fully submerged. Did it scare me? Yup. My common sense kicked in and I left the beach and climbed up the dune to get out of there. It was somewhere in the middle of high and low tide, but the tide was rising.

When I reached the top of the dune, I saw a young couple on a casual stroll across the beach where I just vacated. I shouted a warning at them but the noise of the wind and waves were too much. A fast mover raced up the slope and took both of them out like a couple of bowling pins. When the wave subsided they reappeared unharmed a few feet down the slope. They were smiling and laughing but soaked in their street clothes. At least they had a sense of humor.

Attachments

• DSCN6815.jpg
    DSCN6815.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 522
Man, that thing is toasted! But an awesome find, none the less! Congrats!!

As far as cleaning, whatever you decide to do won't hurt. I'd say electrocute that bad boy!!

Congrats on the Morgan and welcome to the Silver Dollar club. That salt water
really did a number on it but still a cool find.

I found 2 in the wet sand out here also this winter, it's a rush, isn't it!!! Huge congrats!

Back
Top Bottom