Warning for anyone interested in buying old silver coins!

BlackRain

Elite Member
1c6ec4e38906eed2c45ad61cd85b6253.jpg
8c284023ae11e8e000dfd39d8e23d4f8.jpg
58d92d88d068f06ccfa254425590642b.jpg
These are all fakes that a friend of mine bought off of eBay, the Chinese are minting literally tons of fake US coins daily, do a Google search of it, it will make you sick....My friend took them to a coin dealer/pawn shop and passed them right off for $300, just to see if the guy would notice, he didn't, they look real, feel heavy, and have been tumbled to complete the ruse. That is my hand in the picture, I thought they were real also...couldn't believe what he had until he told me the truth....sad thing is, the truth is pretty unbelievable as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Side note, he told the dealer that they were fake and tried giving his money back, the guy told him tuff luck, it was too late for a refund.....finally convinced him after a bit that they were fakes....slight weight difference on a certified scale

Thanks for the warning. Kind of funny that your friend had to convince the pawn guy that they were fake, after being paid.

Now that is sad , that could hurt coin collecting big time thanks for posting
HH

Chinese fake coins have been known for a long time. Hopefully anyone buying from unknown parties knows about fakes and what to look for. As for a dealer selling fakes, I would hope the local police and FBI would be called immediately for interstate trafficking of counterfeits. A real coin dealer would spot the fake immediately.

Yea, nothing new with that scenario... Nice of them to get the "patina" to match on all three coins almost exactly. Look how unique it makes them.

chinese fakes, huh? That's a new one:roll:

fella could have (should have?) just opened a fraud dispute and eBay would have refunded...

easy.

There's buyer protection on the bay ...I agree, your friend should dispute the transactions if it's not too late. They sure do look authentic minus the fake patina/tarnish. The silver looks identical to the copper...

So how do you tell the difference??
Only way, I was told, is only a slight weight difference, or metallurgical testing. I know that the weight can only be noticed with a scale.

Everyone should Google Chinese fake silver dollars.

I also know for a fact that my friend told people that they were fake and people still bought them, all of them.....at truck and car shows in Arkansas and Oklahoma.

They shouldn't be able to sale them here, but there is a loophole. As long as the Chinese sell them as known fakes, it's not illegal. The problem is once they are here people pass them off on unsuspecting customers. So blaming Ebay isn't going to help.

Paypal will get your money back if it was used. I had someone try to rip me off lately and paypal took my money back. Guy was selling fake hatching eggs which is kinda the same thing.

I'm surprised the weight is still slightly off, they do make them out of silver. Once they nail he weight it will get really tough to tell...

So how do you tell the difference??

Most of these fakes are easy to spot. Many of them use very badly designed dies. It's often very easy to look at them and compare to a picture of a real example to spot differences. Even on the ones with good dies, the wear pattern makes zero sense. Look at the 1885 trade dollar... look how worn the left side is, now look at how crisp the LIBERTY banner and the wheat stalks are. Those fine details get worn away must faster than a primary item like a rim lip or a star.

Chinese also fake those plastic graded coin slabs right down to the bar code, which is why I will not buy graded "slabbed" coins.

What a perfect place to put a counterfeit coin, in a counterfeit PCGS or NCG slab where it can't be weighed or measured.

Be careful out there.

Back
Top Bottom