Scoops...............five year review from FREE to PRICEY!!!

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
Wrote this for a coworker and thought some of the beginners might enjoy. Also, this is based on my own experiences and results may vary. Anyhow....

There are scoops for every budget, but what is the difference between making one and buying one of those fancy models? Well, here is a quick review on some of the popular styles that I have owned over the past five years.

1. This DIY style scoop has lasted over 5-years. All materials were repurposed from leftovers found on construction sites, so the cost was $0.00. The downside is the diameter is narrower than most coils and it can take many scoops to dig out targets. Nonetheless, it is fantastically efficient when you come across a coin spill in the dry sand.

2. A hand scoop made from steel is an upgrade from the PVC. The handle is positioned to maximize the force from your hand and it will easily slice through shells and small stones. It is great for wet or dry sand, but almost impossible to use in the surf unless u are snorkeling. The cost is often less than $30 which makes it an affordable investment for most people.

3. An aluminum scoop with a short handle is the ideal size for kids to use or great for retrieving targets from the DRY sand. The caveat to this scoop is the short handle requires most adults to hunch over and it doesn't slice through the wet sand easily. Therefore operators will tend to use his/her foot to push it into the sand BUT using your foot will likely bend the aluminum back plate and eventually crack the welds. At costs up to $60, I recommend self control and only using it in the dry...OR...it can make a great donor for those with welding skills.

4. At 3.7 lbs. this long handled aluminum scoop is nicely balanced, enables you to dig while standing and works great in the water. Some effort is needed to push through seaweed, shells, and rock, but in tough surf it doesn't cause injury or lacerations as easy as sharp angled scoops. FWIW, I've owned three of these scoops over the years (from various mfg’s) and all of them bent the handle and/or cracked the welds within the first 30 days of use. After finding a reputable welder, side support plates were added which prevented further damage.

5. At 3.6 lbs. and including the weight of a wooden handle, this Stainless Steel scoop by Sunspot is marginally lighter than the aluminum and the weight can be further reduced by using a carbon-fiber handle in place of the wood. The angled design slices through seaweed, shells, and small rocks but in rough surf it has caused more than one not so pleasant encounter with my legs. The size and sheer quantity of holes make water sifting almost effortless and dry sand sifting easier than the round aluminum scoop; however, the scoop has a greater capacity and can get heavy with a full load. Targets are retrieved expediently and it has been my primary scoop without failure over the past 3-years.

Summary:
Regardless of budget, there are a lot of options for getting into beach hunting. Just keep in mind the old saying of “get the correct tool for the job” …it will likely increase your enjoyment of the hobby!

Attachments

• IMG_20151201_180451.jpg
    IMG_20151201_180451.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
Summary:
Regardless of budget, there are lots of options for getting into beach hunting but the old saying of get the correct tool for the job will likely increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

Great post and summary DnD, a scoop that matches you and your hunting style "Heaven":tropical: one that doesn't "Sheer Hell/Torture" :windy: :yes:

Just like to add: having the correct scoop for the job and using it EFFICIENTLY will definitely increase your enjoyment of the hobby.

Having a scoop you love using is priceless :yes: you won't get that type of scoop if you pay peanuts :lol:

I've had 6 scoops
first one is always the one you think you're going to save $$$ on= DIY with hardware store material….while it got me through the early days, it was a lot of work to use.

Second & Third = short handled scoops. One SS, one Alum. While nice scoops, not so great in the waves, useless if you're in choppy water more than knee deep… plus you have to constantly bend over. I like to tuck one of these in my belt when I snorkel in case I run into deep sand unexpectedly. easier than carting my long handled one with me when I know I'm somewhere I'll be swimming the whole time.

Fourth = Sunspot Stealth… while this was a great scoop it was the 90 degree and I soon realized that the 120 degree was better suited for me. It never occurred to me to trade up… so I took a loss and sold it on craigslist. Lucky Beergut!

Fifth = a long handled, well used, rusted-but-worked-great freebie that came with a used Whites PI… to this day, my favorite for dry sand work. Loaned it to my friend who accidentally left it at the beach. :(

Sixth = my trusty Stavr. I love this scoop. While I've had a few unfortunate encounters with my ankles in the waves with this puppy, she's served me well for the last couple of years. Nice big bite out of the sand in the water. EAsy to sift in the dry.

A good scoop will run you some cash but worth its weight in gold! (almost) and will drastically reduce your recovery time.

The large stainless scoops in the rougher surf can be VERY dangerous as you pointed out. :yes:

On the target write up DnD. I have 5 scoops but 99% of the time I use throughout 720i. Works well fir me even in the surf. I wear a AR sling attached to my detector so I can use both hands to dig when necessary. With the sling, the machine stays at my side so no cuts with the stainles.

Is that a 720 with a shovel handle on it :laughing:
Yup, quick give away of my former residence in the snow belt, but I've seen forum pics and know I'm not the only one. LOL

..I wear a AR sling attached to my detector so I can use both hands to dig when necessary. With the sling, the machine stays at my side so no cuts with the stainless.
Great tip!

I still have just my one long handled aluminum that was hand made by a guy in southern NJ. Hasn't failed me yet but im considering one them wide basket types for the surf.

I still have just my one long handled aluminum that was hand made by a guy in southern NJ. Hasn't failed me yet but im considering one them wide basket types for the surf.

Is that the guy on ebay that sells them for around $100?

Is that the guy on ebay that sells them for around $100?
I think that's the guy I bought it from when I posted the thread recently "My New Toy". Here it is...

Attachments

• 20151125_135148.jpg
    20151125_135148.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 470
Having a scoop you love using is priceless :yes: you won't get that type of scoop if you pay peanuts :lol:

Wish I could have added.a.stavr to that list but at the time, they were on a.wait list.....heck, it was on a wait list on two separate occasions.

Obviously I love my stealth but since I wanted a backup, my second attempt led me to an RTG because it was at my doorstep a few days later. Ironically, after it bent, I spent more time and money trying to get a second and third.scoop than I would have spent to just wait on the stavr.

I recently got a stealth 720 and for a back up i'd love a t rex, but I think the plain ol shovel will have to work cuz i'd rather have another coil:laughing:

:popcorn:

Got a POS freebie aluminum 4" travel scoop with my purchase of a Sea Hunter. Obviously NOT meant for heavy digging.

Love the T-Rex. It's been welded a couple times, but it's my old faithful. Might get a Stavr or Stealth as I want a backup.

R5

I recently got a stealth 720 and for a back up i'd love a t rex, but I think the plain ol shovel will have to work cuz i'd rather have another coil:laughing:

My 720 has taken a pounding in the rocks here in CT and still going strong.
Felix how do you like that new scoop so far?

Felix how do you like that new scoop so far?
I originally bought it to only use in the dry, which I did, but I got to tell you I love the grip handle and may take it into the water as well one day!

I've noticed several of you mention using an AR Sling. I don't like things around my neck. Is there a sling that puts the weight on both shoulders instead?

Back
Top Bottom