Think I might have found another picket post

Seven

Forum Supporter
Got out today's scouting some areas close to the Civil War camp we have been working the last two years. This spot is close to the camp but it is part of a school playground. I had to weed through a lot of clad and junk but did find 8 bullets. The 45 coins were all modern... not even a Wheat in the bunch! I did find one bullet with ramrod mark on the tip which was different. Been a while since I dug a .58 Minnie... sure felt good!

Check out my YouTube channel Diggin' With Seven

093a37c6f614fed383884bed01465220.jpg

afc728e48f942d64c7a7f0bb0c9929ab.jpg

41073a86098a9e0bd6922cbcb4b985e6.jpg

b16c0a9396acdd12e30287f637e9fcf1.jpg

5359dd3d95730d0fd397b4f111debf9b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice job. To me, the one bullet looks more carved or pulled? If it is ramrod marks, he must have really been pounding it.

Nice job. To me, the one bullet looks more carved or pulled? If it is ramrod marks, he must have really been pounding it.

I'm sure you are correct. There is no hole so it's more likely carved. Of the hundreds of CW bullets I've found, this is a first for me. Never found one like this. Thanks for your info.

I'm sure you are correct. There is no hole so it's more likely carved. Of the hundreds of CW bullets I've found, this is a first for me. Never found one like this. Thanks for your info.

Try looking at it under magnification and see if you can see any scrape marks on it. Here is one I found, carved into an acorn. You can see the scrape marks.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 440
  • FullSizeRender-1 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1 3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 435
Try looking at it under magnification and see if you can see any scrape marks on it. Here is one I found, carved into an acorn. You can see the scrape marks.

Thanks VA-REB. Here are some close-up pictures. I don't see any scrape marks, but then again the bullet is somewhat deteriorated (almost reminds me of the lead used to make Burnsides... they are in bad shape when we find them here in Kentucky as well). If you look at the impression around the ring it appears to be a perfect circle; that's why I though it might be a ramrod impression, but I don't know. I have found a few Enfields cut into game pieces, but none were carved... just cut in half. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• carved 2.jpg
    carved 2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 415
Thanks VA-REB. Here are some close-up pictures. I don't see any scrape marks, but then again the bullet is somewhat deteriorated (almost reminds me of the lead used to make Burnsides... they are in bad shape when we find them here in Kentucky as well). If you look at the impression around the ring it appears to be a perfect circle; that's why I though it might be a ramrod impression, but I don't know. I have found a few Enfields cut into game pieces, but none were carved... just cut in half. Thanks for your input.

Well, with the better pictures, it does look more like ramrod marks. Maybe he was just a bit over-zealous or something. Still a nice find and kinda neat sometimes to try a figure out just what things are.

Well, with the better pictures, it does look more like ramrod marks. Maybe he was just a bit over-zealous or something. Still a nice find and kinda neat sometimes to try a figure out just what things are.

Yep... that's part of the fun trying to figure things out. Thanks for your input and help.

Nice finds. That spot looks like fun. Zink Penney's & minies read the same. HH

YEP!!!!!!!!!!! So you know what kind of fun I'm having! :mad:
Went back this morning before the rain hit and dug 50 coins and one chewed Minnie. Did find a 42 Wheat and a 4-hole button. I will put them in another post.

Thats a devastatingly beautiful find there! Confusing too...Hard to imagine guys shot each other with 58 cal in the first place. It looks all swolled up, with its nose punched in like that...as if in the heat of the battle, getting charged, life or death situation, the guy jammed her home and popped off this round with a broken ramrod still in the barrel!

FWIW, I built and shot a 54cal back in my buckskinning days, Douglas barrel, all the rest made out of bits and scraps, including using a RR spike for the rear sight, all hand work with a hacksaw blade and a file...cast my own rounds etc...looked like hell, but shot like a champ!...carved a buffalo in the tiger maple stock even...sold it back in 87 when I needed money..I dont have any pics, which is a shame...

I cant imagine getting hit by any black powder round of these large bores...or any bore for that matter, gives a guy the shudders just to think about it... I once shot a frozen dead steer in the neck with that 54, just out of curiosity, only had 60 grains behind the pill...it was like somebody hit a block of ice with a sledgehammer! Neck all shattered and wobbly, head nearly fell off...damn!
Mud

Thats a devastatingly beautiful find there! Confusing too...Hard to imagine guys shot each other with 58 cal in the first place. It looks all swolled up, with its nose punched in like that...as if in the heat of the battle, getting charged, life or death situation, the guy jammed her home and popped off this round with a broken ramrod still in the barrel!

FWIW, I built and shot a 54cal back in my buckskinning days, Douglas barrel, all the rest made out of bits and scraps, including using a RR spike for the rear sight, all hand work with a hacksaw blade and a file...cast my own rounds etc...looked like hell, but shot like a champ!...carved a buffalo in the tiger maple stock even...sold it back in 87 when I needed money..I dont have any pics, which is a shame...

I cant imagine getting hit by any black powder round of these large bores...or any bore for that matter, gives a guy the shudders just to think about it... I once shot a frozen dead steer in the neck with that 54, just out of curiosity, only had 60 grains behind the pill...it was like somebody hit a block of ice with a sledgehammer! Neck all shattered and wobbly, head nearly fell off...damn!
Mud

Yeah I can't imagine getting hit by that much lead... it would be bone-shattering!

KT loves it! Just think of all those kiddos running around and these minis are just a few inches below their feet!

His Majesty once found a plow point in the front yard of a jr. High school and later found out from an eldery local that the property had been a farm before the school was built!!

KT loves it! Just think of all those kiddos running around and these minis are just a few inches below their feet!

His Majesty once found a plow point in the front yard of a jr. High school and later found out from an eldery local that the property had been a farm before the school was built!!

Yep you never know what under the ground beneath your feet... that's makes detecting so much fun.

Man that's a lot of digging but those are some nice bullet's that's a great Hunt

Back
Top Bottom