Double BIG silver, Double little silver, And a barrel of wheats with my new CTX

JackalopeZL1

Elite Member
Holy Smokes what a day for me. SO we got let out of work 2 hrs early today since it is the day before thanksgiving. I just got my second CTX3030 last night via the brown truck and figured I needed to get out and try it out. I went to a little local park in the middle of town. Never hunted here even though I go past it all the time for about 25 years.

Well I jumped out of the truck and set out to hunt, I looked across the park and saw some guy swinging what looked like a Ace 350 with a sniper coil. It instantly took a little steam out of me at first, then I watched him swing the darn thing and felt a little better about finding something. He was swinging it about 60mph and like it was a pendulum :icon_scratch: I kid you not he was bringing the coil off the ground about 6 to 8 inches on the end of his swing:laughing7:

So anyways I start hunting with what I thought were my old settings(loaded off exchange 2) that I used on my old machine, Within about 10 minutes I found a 34 wheat, then another and another and another..Just kept getting these darn wheats. It was keeping my hopes up for silver. I was digging only high tones and boy was there lots of junk in this park, TONS of trash..

Well about 1.5 hrs in I get a nice 12/41 and figured it was another wheat and low and behold about 5 inches down was a 1917 S Merc. Finally a Silver!!:hello2: and my oldest MERC. Now for me now I am thinking that was a way low number for a silver dime? It seemed like most of the wheats were ringing low too?? But they all sounded good. So another 30 minutes I get the 44s MERC and again it only rung up at 12-13/ 42?

Anyways I was about to leave since I had to pee like a race horse, But you know how hard it is to quit. Just a couple more minutes, just a couple more I kept saying to my self, Well am right in the middle of where that guy who had been detecting was at now, I see chicken scratch everywhere he had been digging so I figured I would check all his holes, Well I got another 12-43 signal near the base of this big tree right were he had just dug, I figured maybe another dime or Wheat since the readings seem to be weird today. Well I get to digging and of course there is a couple big ole roots. About 6 inches down I See this beautiful WALKER sitting there, I snatch it up and am just beeming thinking how did that guy miss this signal??? I put the walker down on the ground and thought well I better make sure there is not a spill going here. So I put the pinpointer back in the hole and it starts a signing. So I think to myself oh yea maybe another merc or maybe a Washington. But it is still under the root I was fighting,. I as carefully as I could I put my digger back in there under the root trying to pry another clump of dirt out. Out falls the second Walker!!!:thumbsup:

SO I put little nicks on both of the walkers with them darn roots but heck I am super happy with these finds. Both are 1945 walkers!! So I thought I had to Pee before now I was absolutely floating. Cleaned up my plug and said lets get out of here it is getting dark. I start swinging making a beeline to the truck and boom I get a 12-46 signal. Nice and strong!! Shoot I better dig this I say to my self. Pop the plug and about 5 inches down my pinpointer is right on something but I can not see anything, Finally sift through the dirt and find this blob or what looked like rust and dirt. Come to find out it was a 1943 WAR nickel?? this is my first war nickel with the CTX but a 12-46?? All I can figure is the crud on the nickel is making it read like this. I am soaking it so I can scrape the rest of the junk off. Seems to be coming off clean..

It was my Best day in a long time if ever, But I need to get into my settings I loaded and see why the CTX is reading so weird, The sounds are great just like my old ctx, the VDI seems way off though. Any ways I wish I had more day like this!!! And I love seeing folks like that guy swinging their machines. Gives me hope there is still tons of goodies out there!

Attachments

• Grey fox.JPG
    Grey fox.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 536
H R Puffenstuff!

What a great 'short hunt' and outstanding write up about it! :laughing: That really was a cool day there! Hard to top that one in any park thats seen a coil. Nice work indeed, congratulations on a very productive day!
Mud

Awesome hunt! I have dug mercs at times with a 12-41 reading in ferrous-coin. Were the walkers right up against the tree? Maybe the coil could not go right over center? I have dug nickels high, but not that high? There is always something else in the hole with it though. Very interesting. Congrats!

The war nickel I dug had a real thick crud on it, alost lIke a creasote with stuff in it.. was weird. I think that skewed the readings. I was dead center on the walkers just them darn roots. After looking up what people have posted with ferrous coin was not far all.. can't wait to get back out there :)

Here is another pic I took once I cleaned the Crud off of the war nickel(minus the Wheaties) . It was like a metal impregnated creosote? Had to literally chip it off. Also threw the Barber half I dug 2 weeks ago

Walkers

Nice going with the two Walkers, plus the two merc's and war nickel. That's $1.25 in silver, not to shabby. I use to hunt with my next door neighbor, he moved. He use to swing his coil the same way, making his swings ending at least 6 to 8 inches above the ground. I would say something, and he would deny it. He left a ton of holes open one time and he and I almost got into it over that, and he ended up walking home :). When I got home, I went next door and told his wife to go pick him up. I found a Walker and a GW in the same hole once.
HH everyone

Back
Top Bottom