Canadian Bank Token

61Cadillac

Elite Member
MitchH1, I've got a spot for us to hit next week!

I had a very nice surprise today. Went to help a friend out and he surprised me with a new place to detect! I found a bunch of Wheats, an Indian, couple of Mercs, and this. When it came out of the ground it was so crusty I thought it was a large cent. When I gently rubbed one side of it at first I thought it was an image of Lincoln standing on the front. I gave the back a little rub and thought to myself, "Huh, that looks like a Confederate flag?, Maybe that is Jefferson Davis or Robert E. Lee on the front. I didn't do anything else to it in the field after than that other than putting it in my pouch. When I got home I went to work on it with a tooth pick. I got enough crust off of it to see the word "Sous" on it. Did a quick Google search and this came up.

http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=10698

The date doesn't show well in the photo but it is an 1837 Canada (Bas) Sous Penny Token! I wish I had taken photos of it before I started cleaning it because I can't believe how nice it cleaned up! This just might be my favorite find of the year!

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 374
Congrats on the two SOUS! They are a kick to find!

I've dug two 1844 BoM half penny tokens. One was in a farm field within sight of my house, and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

I never even heard of these before today. Turns out a Facebook friend of mine was out detecting with his girlfriend today and she found an 1844 Half Penny Sous today too.

Wow, and I thought mine cleaned up nice! I wish the US had used whatever combination of metals these are made of for all the large cents and Indian cents, they sure would have held up better! I think they must have a high bronze content or something?

Yours has the picture of the bank on the front of it right?

Back
Top Bottom