Yet another always check your clad thread...silver quarter!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
The threads pop up now and then, I started at least one other myself, but always good to remind the newbies about this from time to time.
Many have found silver coins and you knew they were silver because they looked noticeably different than the dirty clad we usually dig.
Maybe you haven't dug any yet but have read that silver coins always come up clean.
Well, I am here to tell you that is true most of the time...but definitely not all of the time.

I check my clad for dates usually in the field, give them the once over when I get back home to just to be sure, and yet three times I found silver Roosevelt dimes that got by me when I checked all my coins one last time after tumbling them clean.
Many others have too, it is rare but it happens more than you might think.
I have found surprise wheaties too but silver coins are something even more special.

This morning it happened again to me but this time with a new twist.
I tumbled a bunch of quarters last night for a few hours and then when the dirt was knocked off I changed the water and let them run the rest of the night.
I got up early this morning before going hunting and dumped them all out into a wire basket to let them dry and even though most of them were cleaned enough to look pretty new one caught my eye that looked extra clean and shiny.
I just figured it was a new quarter or it was one I found on the top of the soil in the grass which never get very dirty.
I picked it up anyway just to check the date and when I saw it I almost fell over.
1964...silver as silver can be.
I have no idea when, where or how I found this thing because all these quarters were thrown in a big jar I keep all my pre cleaned clad in and came from many hunts going back months.
I have dug 64 quarters in the past but they were all accounted for...this one had to be one of the rare dirty ones that I missed noticing on every checkpoint.
Rare...I mean unique because this never happened before.

I have found more silver coins this year than ever before because I am trying to learn to be a better coin hunter and not concentrate so much on jewelry.
Now I have another beauty to add to the total.

Check that clad boys and girls.
You too might be surprised one day.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1441999411001.jpg
    PicsArt_1441999411001.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 530
I found a Rosie last year I missed. I should say the bank's coin counter found for me because it rejected it.

I have close to 400 in clad to tumble which I will do in a couple weeks when I have a few days off work and hopefully I will find a surprise. I find quite a few wheats in my clad because I tumble my wheat coins anyway I don't try to hard to find them in the field. Once I tumble my pennies I always get a hand full more wheats.

Thinking about this I have a theory on how it might have happened.
Just a theory, I will never know for sure.
Heads up for you guys that hunt sites near water.

Back in April I hunted around a small pond in the middle of a huge park in Kansas.
At one time it was well used because I found many lead weights, some fishing tackle and many beaver tail tabs.
I do remember digging some clad from the banks around this thing also, probably a quarter or two.
It was buried in the middle of some large woods and probably hadn't been used in years...decades.

I also dug a silver ring here but had no idea it was silver because it was really dark...almost black.
When I saw the 925 mark I was surprised.
I have dug a lot of silver jewelry in my time, some of it kinda deep and I assume pretty old but nothing I ever dug that was silver came up like this.

The difference at this site is the banks of this thing and the soil all around it usually stayed pretty wet through most of the year because of the water leeching into the soil.
When I dug this stuff we hadn't had rain in awhile, all my other sites were bone dry but even several feet up the slopes of the banks here the soil was pretty moist.
Those conditions tarnished the heck out of this ring and it could have done the exact same thing to a silver quarter if it was laying here for awhile.
There is a possibility that if I dug this quarter here it was so stained and dark I never bothered to check it like I usually do.
Again just a theory but it is a logical one.

By the way...
Here is a pic of the site and pics of the ring before and after cleaning.
Cleaning this thing in a tumbler was not an option because of the shape and all the nooks and crannies.
Cleaning by hand would not have worked either.
I used science and it worked great.
Some boiling water mixed with baking soda in a pot, a piece of aluminum foil placed on the bottom and the ring dropped onto that for a few seconds and you see the result.
Great method to remember for easy silver cleaning.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1442004440983.jpg
    PicsArt_1442004440983.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 447
  • PicsArt_1442004463012.jpg
    PicsArt_1442004463012.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 446
  • PicsArt_1442004478460.jpg
    PicsArt_1442004478460.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 450
Nice save on the quarter. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I always triple check. Also, I took your advice on the cleaning method for darkened silver....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 286
....and after. Well I'll be dad gum! Thanks for the tip!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 278
I think you're right about the moisture Digger. Also if there is any organic matter in the low oxygen environment Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) can form which is very corrosive.

Found this Merc deep in the sand right next to a lake.

I think you're right about the moisture Digger. Also if there is any organic matter in the low oxygen environment Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) can form which is very corrosive.

Found this Merc deep in the sand right next to a lake.

Looking at your pic I believe even more that may be the case on my coin, also.
Thanks for the in the field data.

Now knowing all this I wish I didn't move 800 miles away from this site.
I visited here a couple of times after I found that ring and the clad but now I would go back and search with a different mind set if I could.

For anyone that wants to try that lives in that area this was in Shawnee Mission Park in Lenexa.
Go to the tennis courts and as you are looking at them from the road this little pond is hidden in the woods to the right.

Loved this park.
Over 1200 acres with tot lots, picnic areas, a great fishing lake and more.
I found silver coins here, lots of silver jewelry, a 10k gold ring with ice, 14k and 22k rings, a gold class ring and a rolled gold pocket watch in different areas of this huge, beautifully serene place.
I miss it.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1435496420770.jpg
    PicsArt_1435496420770.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 219
  • PicsArt_1440729739975.jpg
    PicsArt_1440729739975.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 209
  • PicsArt_1432886318394.jpg
    PicsArt_1432886318394.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 208
  • PicsArt_1425585080573.jpg
    PicsArt_1425585080573.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 211
  • PicsArt_1442173513648.jpg
    PicsArt_1442173513648.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 209
  • PicsArt_1442174672014.jpg
    PicsArt_1442174672014.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 217
Just the description of this park makes me want to go there and explore(and bring my detector along as well)! congrats on uncovering that ultra-elusive silver quarter :)

Back
Top Bottom