Tesoro Outlaw On The Rampage

beephead

Elite Member
Yesterday I spent most of my detecting time out on a soccer field swinging my Vaquero with the new Clean Sweep coil that I just got. It worked great! No gold rings though. As usual, I spend some time after each hunt looking for a new place to detect. I come upon a house that was built in the early 50's that was not occupied that had a for sale sign in the front yard. I called the number on the sign and got permission to detect the yard.

The owner warned me that the yard was loaded with nails. I told him that Tesoro has one of the best discriminators in the business and I wouldn't have any problems at all with the nails.

My only back-up detector with me was my modded Cibola with the NEL Sharpshooter coil attached. Right off I found a Rosie dime in the grass next to sidewalk, 12 wheat pennies and some clad coins. That's not a bad start. I detected for about an hour and decided to call it day since I was already wore-out from swinging my Vaquero at the soccer field earlier and it was getting hot out.

I got back to the site around 7:30 this morning armed with my Outlaw with the 5.75 inch concentric coil attach. I set the discrimination at its minimum, which is perfect for a site that is loaded with nails. My very first target that I found was a Washington Quarter in the grassy area next to the driveway. I knew that it was going to be a good day!

About halfway through my 3 hour hunt, I decided to switch to the larger 8 inch doughnut coil since some the coins that I was digging wasn't giving a good strong audio signal. The 8 inch coil was easily picking coins right out of the nails. I dug a few holes where a pry cap or nail would be the first out the hole and I knew that wasn't what the Outlaw was sounding off on and looked further and found coins.

I ended up finding 72 clad coins, 90 pieces of trash, 24 wheat pennies, 2 Washington quarters, 2 Mercury dimes, 3 Rosie dimes, and a War Nickel. That's 194 targets in 4 hours of detecting in a grassy area that's only 40 feet by 60 feet wide. I haven't touched the backyard yet and it's 3 times larger.

I talked to the owner again today and told him that I was having a great time and I felt like I needed to do something nice for him. He told me there's no need for me do anything and for me to spend as much time as I needed to detect his home.

beephead

First%20House%20006_zpsgaj6wcma.jpg

First%20House%20009_zpsbmm0wspo.jpg

First%20House%20002_zpsr2xr2yrp.jpg

First%20House%20004_zps1ofcxdvj.jpg

First%20House%20006_zpsxxrpmrt4.jpg

First%20House%20009_zpswoe0csdh.jpg

First%20House%20011_zpswfirluhg.jpg

First%20House%20012_zpsy3lf24oa.jpg

First%20House%20015_zpsxikwp7yf.jpg

First%20House%20017_zpsmzxtfbyp.jpg

First%20House%20019_zpsyltew9vp.jpg

First%20House%20021_zpsd1xcko9g.jpg

First%20House%20023_zpshkezdx44.jpg

First%20House%20024_zpss6xdofus.jpg

First%20House%20026_zps2sflsjw2.jpg

First%20House%20028_zpsll5dv4hw.jpg

First%20House%20039_zpst39frcgx.jpg

First%20House%20035_zpsy4pindc7.jpg

First%20House%20032_zpsjzu2okzz.jpg

First%20House%20031_zpslmamhpji.jpg

That's some great digging. Congrats. This story reminded me that I need to quit passing up neighborhoods from the 50s/60s. Prosper times, silver coins and kids/adults actually spent time outside...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's some great digging. Congrats. This story reminded me that I need to quit passing up neighborhoods from the 50s/60s. Prosper times, silver coins and kids/adults actually spent time outside...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The baby-boomers kids were all out in the streets and yards playing during the fifties and sixties. Moms, dads and relatives were sitting in lawn chairs under a big ole shade tree shooting the breeze. Having air conditioning during the fifties was a big deal. Now those same yards and streets are nearly devoid of people. There are fewer kids now and most of them spend the majority of their time playing indoors on a computer. I know the places to look for silver coins, because I'm one of those baby boomer kids.

Congrats on all the goodies! What a fun spot you have there! Betting theres an even better target there waiting for you ;)

Congrats on all the goodies! What a fun spot you have there! Betting theres an even better target there waiting for you ;)

Thanks! I sure thought that shallow war nickel was going to be a big ole gold wedding band. It sure sounded good. If there's a gold ring or big silver half dollar in that yard, I'll find it. I got to keep the discrimination set low and keep digging those iffy audio signal.

beephead

!

Thanks! I sure thought that shallow war nickel was going to be a big ole gold wedding band. It sure sounded good. If there's a gold ring or big silver half dollar in that yard, I'll find it. I got to keep the discrimination set low and keep digging those iffy audio signal.

beephead

Sounds like a great plan. Wish you the best on your future hunts!

Congrats on some great coins! I'll take simple Tesoro's over all those modern programmable machines any day!

Very nice recoveries. That is the type of yard I am looking for. I hunted a couple of early 60's yards and found Wheaties but no silver.

What kind of digger are you using?

Thanks everyone I'm going to be slowing down some until we get some rain. The ground is turning into concrete and making digging difficult.

I went back to the site today to see what I could find in the backyard. I elected to use my F75-LTD-2 with the Sharpshooter coil. I only found one silver coin and a 3 wheat pennies in the backyard.

I went back over the front yard again with my Tejon with the 5.75 concentric attached and found a few more wheat pennies. After the next big rain we get, I'm going over the backyard again, but this time with the Outlaw.

Oh yeah I did a short video (click on the last picture), I would have bet the farm that it was going to be a nice big ole silver coin. It turned out to be a piece of stainless steel about the size of a paper match. You just never know until you dig.

beephead

First%20House%203rd%20Hunt%20002_zpsngmc2bu1.jpg

First%20House%203rd%20Hunt%20003_zpsugm1qe57.jpg

First%20House%203rd%20Hunt%20006_zpsclg6fjnd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom