Spanish lady

Caintuk

Found this golden hair gal in a plowed field where a pre-1875 log cabin stood until last year. I know the place dates because of 1876 county map I have. Found it last weekend, it was kinda dirty and I had found several wheat cents and this was with them. I just stuck them in my pouch and forgot about them. Got them out to look at the dates tonite and literally came unglued when I seen the date. Then I finally realized it may be gold. So I quit cleaning on it. Says isabella? 1861 date and 40 rs next to a star. Any input?

Attachments

• 2015-05-28 20.55.44.jpg
    2015-05-28 20.55.44.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 584
  • 2015-05-28 20.53.17.jpg
    2015-05-28 20.53.17.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 571
Then I finally realized it may be gold. So I quit cleaning on it. Says isabella? 1861 date and 40 rs next to a star. Any input?

Can you get a better closeup of the obverse (Isabel's face) of your coin? There's something about her face on your coin that looks off. Maybe it's just your pic making her face look different. :?: Here's a pic of a genuine. You can compare this with yours:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 645
I hope this sheds better light there does seem to be some sort of blemish on her face. I will get her weighed and measured, then tested for gold content. Thanks for the complements, and research. Any suggestions for properly cleaning it? I sure hope it's "reale" and not fake!

Attachments

• 2015-05-28 23.28.48.jpg
    2015-05-28 23.28.48.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 524
  • 2015-05-28 23.29.38.jpg
    2015-05-28 23.29.38.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 531
I like it the way it is myself. Awesome patina. I'd think long and hard before cleaning. (Also check a reputable coin dealer)

I had put the wheat pennies along with this coin in a small bowl with plain soapy water and I use a babies soft bristle tooth brush just to knock the dirt off So i can read the dates. I thought this was a Wheatie also, didn't have my glasses on. Seen the brass color and stopped immediately.

Looks too brassy to be gold, but I hope I'm wrong...

Seems like a real uncommon coin to want to counterfeit.. So it has that going for it.. But that reddish orange color in the low spots worries me...

Gotta get it looked at!!

<*)))>{

Here's another comparison with yours and an authentic coin....can you see any differences in the facial outlines of the queen?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 516
Here's another comparison with yours and an authentic coin....can you see any differences in the facial outlines of the queen?

Side by side like you posted makes it way easier to compare the two..

The glaring difference to me is the button on her dress near her shoulder, it is round on the OP's and oval on the other...

<*)))>{

I am starting to smell a rat also. There is a subtle difference in the chin area, and the ribbon knot looks slightly different. I will still go and get it weighed and measured for real gold. Thanks for posting the side x side. That really helps.

The bun at the top of her hair looks odd as well?? But, nonetheless it is a very interesting find!! Congratz!

To my eye, the angle of her neck and chin, and the lettering alignment looks different also. It will be interesting to see what it turns out to be!

Back
Top Bottom