OMG!!! day

Dan48

My friend and I headed out for our weekly hunt. He's a bit older than me and doesn't dig as much as I do. Generally I eat his lunch on treasure finds... Not this time!

We decide to stop at a park in a town the was a Railroad stop way back and started hunting. I got onto a wheatie and soon after a real nice Merc. In my mind, a single piece of silver makes any hunt worth the time and anything else is gravy.

We have a friendly competition every hunt and I had found another Merc so I was sure I had "the finds of the day" at that point. Not! My friend calls me over and he is holding a Standing Liberty Quarter in his hand. The coin we both hope to find every time we head out and it gets better still.

Neither of us can see very well so we wait until we get back to the truck to check dates with a magnifier. I'm driving and he asks me if there are any key dates and I told him I think 1916 is.

Yep, 1916!!! :shock: Sadly, he did hit it with his digger getting it out. Still awesome and might end up being the "find of the year" or worse? I don't know how I'm going to beat that one. :?:

Attachments

• quarter.jpg
    quarter.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,347
  • quarter2.jpg
    quarter2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,311
Nice SLQ!!!!!! Congrats on the mercy as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a find!! Didn't you just recently find an '09 s VDB penny? You and your buddy are really "duking" it out for key date coin finds! :D Next week, you'll find the '16 D Merc, while your buddy finds the '01 S Quarter. :lol:

Good luck to you!

HH,
Raphis
Dan

Wow.......I would be crying over that scratch however! That scratch will probably knock it down a few thousand dollars. Looks like it was rubbed harshly trying to get it "clean".....but still, it's a $3K to $5K coin as it sits.

You are going to have to work hard to catch him with that find. Only 52k were ever made .... and that a century ago. Yeah, I'd say he won the day ... and then some. I'd still be happy with the two Mercs myself, but wow what a find!!

What a find!! Didn't you just recently find an '09 s VDB penny? You and your buddy are really "duking" it out for key date coin finds! :D Next week, you'll find the '16 D Merc, while your buddy finds the '01 S Quarter. :lol:

Good luck to you!

HH,
Raphis
Dan

I know. I got a feeling I'm going to end up mentioned in the "bought it and pretending to find it" thread!:lol: I swear to God as my witness and may I burn in the depths if I'm lying... We really are finding these coins. ;) lol But seriously... We really are!

Speaking of that penny. I called Dave at Coinhuskers to get an update yesterday and he told me NGC had mistakenly sent the penny back to him instead of sending it to NCS for cleaning? :mad: He told me it would be in the mail today so I guess that starts the process over?

I can't stand waiting and worse... Trusting folks I don't know with a "once in a lifetime" find. I guess it's better than having to worry about getting that quarter graded though. Or maybe not?

Wow those are super rare - any idea of the value? Over/under $1,000?

Book is showing about $3,000.00 graded as good. I don't know, I think he is going to have to get it graded and he's less trusting than me but almost have to with such a coin.

Not sure if he is going to sell it. I wouldn't, but he's had some serious expenses come up with his dog breaking a leg recently. I think he's got almost 4 grand out in vet bills. I think maybe God was helping him out a bit yesterday.

Happy hunting!

Nice SLQ!!!!!! Congrats on the mercy as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! I actually ended up with three merc's, all 41's, an 1897 injun and five Wheaties but I was searching desperately for another SLQ! Didn't happen... Bummer.

Wow.......I would be crying over that scratch however! That scratch will probably knock it down a few thousand dollars. Looks like it was rubbed harshly trying to get it "clean".....but still, it's a $3K to $5K coin as it sits.

Yea, he cleaned it with soap and a toothbrush. I told him just to gently rinse it off but I'm not sure he understood me? He doesn't do computers and doesn't really have access to all the information on forums such as this one.

I love him and he's my best friend but he has a bad habit of spitting on and rubbing the dirt off when he finds a coin. I don't let him touch mine till I see the dates! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom