Makro Racer hunt with pic

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Went down by the river this morning to try this baby out. DI3 99 sens. Ran into some nice coins. Actually pulled a spanish bit. Have found them in the area before in cleaner ground. The ole crusty indian is 1888. These IHs all came in dead nuts 82 on the meter. I don't know what the first generation IHs will read as I don't have one. The tone over good quality metal targets is in fact very crisp and clean vs junk/screw caps.

Nice finds what do you think of the racer? I have the opportunity to get one.

Before I answer. Disclaimer: I am not connected in any way with Makro and that includes financially. The Racer I have was bought and paid for with my own $$$.

Chris,
To answer your question. IMO the best detector for the $$$$ as long as you buy the small coil with the stock coil. Unit is very ergonomic/light. Controls are easy/simple, detector is layed out nice. Audio is very good. For a person wanting to own just 1 detector period, this is it. Will it do all things better than all others?? NO Separation ability is tops. Depth is very good. Here's the one area where a few other detectors can beat it IMO, Depth on silver. Remember the Racer operates at 14khz. IMO a minelab will generally be a little deeper on deep silver (stock coil vs stock coil). And worse ground may contribute to this small depth advantage. In mild/milder soil they may be very close. And it may only be a TID advantage going to minelab with both giving tone. Now the small coil is a different animal. It's flagship deep for it's size, only machine that can compete IMO is Fisher F75 with boost using boost 5" coil.

On lower conductors gold, nickels IMO Racer trumps Etrac/CTX. Haven't used explorer.

I have been using the Racer's little brother (Nokta CoRe) the last few weeks with small coil. Needless to say I've made some great finds in some very difficult places to detect. I have posted some if not all of them here on this forum.

Before I answer. Disclaimer: I am not connected in any way with Makro and that includes financially. The Racer I have was bought and paid for with my own $$$.

Chris,
To answer your question. IMO the best detector for the $$$$ as long as you buy the small coil with the stock coil. Unit is very ergonomic/light. Controls are easy/simple, detector is layed out nice. Audio is very good. For a person wanting to own just 1 detector period, this is it. Will it do all things better than all others?? NO Separation ability is tops. Depth is very good. Here's the one area where a few other detectors can beat it IMO, Depth on silver. Remember the Racer operates at 14khz. IMO a minelab will generally be a little deeper on deep silver (stock coil vs stock coil). And worse ground may contribute to this small depth advantage. In mild/milder soil they may be very close. And it may only be a TID advantage going to minelab with both giving tone. Now the small coil is a different animal. It's flagship deep for it's size, only machine that can compete IMO is Fisher F75 with boost using boost 5" coil.

On lower conductors gold, nickels IMO Racer trumps Etrac/CTX. Haven't used explorer.

I have been using the Racer's little brother (Nokta CoRe) the last few weeks with small coil. Needless to say I've made some great finds in some very difficult places to detect. I have posted some if not all of them here on this forum.

Woah... That's about all I've got at the moment... the thing sounds nutty. I need one

Here's some more information. My first hand accounts.

Some folks may be wondering about how the detector does on screw caps/caps in general. Well today I was showing a friend my Racer. We got to talking and decided to do a small experiment. We gathered a couple beer tops and one screw cap. I dropped a dime, pennies (a pre 1982 and a 2003 model years) and a nickel on the ground. I demonstrated to my friend. In DI3 gain 85 ID mask 10. I swung over the caps. One of them read 53, the other 2 read 82/83 between different sweeps. The tone is blah sounding and long. Sweeping each of the coins tone was way shorter and cleaner/crisper. When I swung over the nickel my friend said it didn't sound good. I had to explain the nickel was ringing as a mid tone, but even this mid tone was also very narrow/crisp clean. All this was done using external speaker, high quality phones would have provided even more differential. Now remember this is small coil performance information. I'll try do some stock coil comparisons.

And folks the TID on the Racer is rock solid on coins using small coil. The most deviation I've seen is one point between sweeps, most times one number in the screen. Using small coil very solid unit for hunting coins in modern trash. IMO only machine that can compete is CTX with small coil, but it still lags in the separation dept.

Some folks maybe wondering how do I know so much about this unit, not having it for very long. Believe it or not the Nokta FORS CoRe unit I've had in my possession for a few weeks operates almost as a carbon copy of this Racer detector. And I have hunted with Racer and done test. The info I'm supplying is spot on. You as a reader can find other similar comments on other forums, and I expect with time you'll see them on this forum as well.

Some of you may be confused because I've referenced both the Fisher F75 with boost and the CTX. To clarify, the F75 with boost with small coil is as deep as Racer with small coil in inert/mild soil/medium mineralized soil, hotter soil Racer with small coil gets the nod. Only thing F75 with small coil, it's TID information is not as accurate as Racer TID. Now CTX, it's TID is as accurate as Racer's TID, but CTX don't separate as good as Racer, part of this is attributed to bigger coil size. And for those thinking Etrac with say Sunray X-5 coil. A good combo, but again the combo don't separate as well as Racer (processor speed). Good TID though.

Chris, that's a tough question. For deep silver in parks Se Pro will do. Heavy though, so you need to consider the weight.

I would opt for Racer over CoRe unit as I see things right now.

Are you getting a small coil in the trade if you decide Racer?? if not that's not good but you can buy one.

Something else to consider, Se Pro is getting old and support from minelab may become extinct sooner rather than later.

It's your choice Chris. I think in the long run you'd enjoy the Racer more IMO as long as you have both stock and small coils. But it's your opinion and choice that matters.

Chris, that's a tough question. For deep silver in parks Se Pro will do. Heavy though, so you need to consider the weight.

I would opt for Racer over CoRe unit as I see things right now.

Are you getting a small coil in the trade if you decide Racer?? if not that's not good but you can buy one.

Something else to consider, Se Pro is getting old and support from minelab may become extinct sooner rather than later.

It's your choice Chris. I think in the long run you'd enjoy the Racer more IMO as long as you have both stock and small coils. But it's your opinion and choice that matters.

Yeah how is the vdi on racer I hear it's kinda off on many targets

Racer small coil performance comments:
And folks the TID on the Racer is rock solid on coins using small coil. The most deviation I've seen is one point between sweeps, most times one number in the screen. Using small coil very solid unit for hunting coins in modern trash. IMO only machine that can compete is CTX with small coil, but it still lags in the separation dept.

I need some more time with Racer using stock coil to render an accurate opinion on VDI accuracy and steadiness on both moderate and deep depth targets (coins).

I have been offered a racer, se pro, and fors-core for my cz-3d that's why I was wondering if the racer was worth it.

Not sure if I'm missing something but on eBay the CZ-3D has been seenng for around $400. A Racer, SE Pro and a CoRe for a CZ-3D? Someone is out to lunch.

So far I would agree with tnsharpshooter. The Racer, in my opinion, has raised the bar for mid-lever detectors. It is knocking at the door of the top of the line machines when it comes to performance. Features wise is where the top of the lines still stand above the others. For those who don't care about more adjustable discrimination, More tones and VDI options, custom programming ETC. then the Racer is going to save you money and still give great performance.

Personally I don't think it will pose a great threat to detectors like the E-Trac/CTX/V3i/Deus, except in performance, but I do believe Makro will have Fisher scrambling to either produce a new machine or lower their price. I can see some reasons one would send the extra money for the E-Trac/CTX/V3i/Deus but I can't see why anyone would send the money for a F75 SE2 over the Racer.

The jury is still out on the Racers gold ability. I hunted a tot lot yesterday and it was OK. Nothing special nothing bad. The gold I have tested on the racer again was OK not a spectacular gold machine but not bad. In my opinion the AT Pro and Deus still respond better to small odd shaped gold but again the jury is out yet.

I will be doing a great deal of testing of the Racer today and get some more videos.

Not sure if I'm missing something but on eBay the CZ-3D has been seenng for around $400. A Racer, SE Pro and a CoRe for a CZ-3D? Someone is out to lunch.

So far I would agree with tnsharpshooter. The Racer, in my opinion, has raised the bar for mid-lever detectors. It is knocking at the door of the top of the line machines when it comes to performance. Features wise is where the top of the lines still stand above the others. For those who don't care about more adjustable discrimination, More tones and VDI options, custom programming ETC. then the Racer is going to save you money and still give great performance.

Personally I don't think it will pose a great threat to detectors like the E-Trac/CTX/V3i/Deus, except in performance, but I do believe Makro will have Fisher scrambling to either produce a new machine or lower their price. I can see some reasons one would send the extra money for the E-Trac/CTX/V3i/Deus but I can't see why anyone would send the money for a F75 SE2 over the Racer.

The jury is still out on the Racers gold ability. I hunted a tot lot yesterday and it was OK. Nothing special nothing bad. The gold I have tested on the racer again was OK not a spectacular gold machine but not bad. In my opinion the AT Pro and Deus still respond better to small odd shaped gold but again the jury is out yet.

I will be doing a great deal of testing of the Racer today and get some more videos.

But those are bad cz. I have a Tom tuned model that's why it goes for more.

Back
Top Bottom