badwhiskey...in honor of your decision, (finally!) to by a Compadre...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
...I decided to take mine out this morning for a short hunt.
Took the F70 with me too, but it never made it out of the truck.
All these posts about tips I had on your recent threads about hunting with this thing got me going...so time to take mine out to one of the trashiest parks I know and see what I could do.
I sometimes forget how much fun I have when this thing is in my hands, but a couple of swings into the hunt and it all comes back.

The object today was to find some precious metal of any kind in any form.
Gold would be nice, but silver is what I was aiming for because the chances were better I might find some even in this trashy site I have hunted so many times in the past.
I wanted to do this because I am sure you have noticed how us Tesoro nuts keep talking about the Compadre's jewelry finding ability.
I usually hope to find gold when I begin any hunt, but I rarely expect that and I am always happy with whatever I find on any given hunt.
Today was different...I wanted to find something shiny so I could post it for you an prove this theory, since this post is now in existence I can say with a little pride I was successful.

I used the techniques I laid out for you most of the day, acquire the target in low disc and turned the knob up past the fade out point and then down to listen closely how the targets comes in.
Targets that came in solid with very little noise were dug, targets that broke up a little too much before they firmed up were left in the ground...mostly, I still dug a few of the louder and better sounding iffy targets even though they ended up being trash because try as I might I still can't get my X Ray vision thing going.

Here are my results.

P1050481.jpg

I dug some solid sounding trash, mostly sta-tabs and beaver tail tabs which infest this place, a few dimes, several zinc cents, a couple of copper cents and those nickels, too.
Also that button that came in as a zinc cent and I have no idea what this thing actually is but a steel ball that was encased in some kind of a thin rubber cover for some reason.
If I was still into marbles this would have thrilled me to no end because back in the day we called this thing a steely mini boulder and you were a lucky player indeed if you had steelies of any kind in your marble collection.

# 1 of the best two prizes of the day were a 1940s wheatie in really good shape.
So good it is better than the one that is in my collection book so I am going to replace that one with this.

1940 s.jpg

Prize # 2 and the reason for this post is next.
I have had many jaw dropping experiences with my Compadre in the past, and today with this find I had another one.
The reason why is not what this find is but the size of the target.
It came in solid and loud and clear and with the knob pointed at 3:00 exactly like most zincolns I dig, and acted the way I told you good targets usually do with it coming in clear and solid with no noise as I dialed that disc knob down.
I expected to be digging another zincoln...it wasn't.

This was my prize, a tiny silver ring.

P1050483.jpg

The jaw dropping thing was how good of a signal this thing was and how small it actually is.
I dropped it on my scale and for a few seconds the scale did nothing...then finally it got a reading.
.3 grams.
Not 3 grams...point 3 grams.

I have dug some small rings in my time but never anything this thin.
Here it is sitting on a dime and it is no thicker or wider than that coin and it is definitely silver.

P1050480.jpg

Just imagine if my Compadre can hit this thing so clear, so solid and so well imagine what it can do when that coil runs over jewelry that is more normal sized.
We Compadre owners don't have to imagine this, soon you won't need to either because you will see for yourself.

HH

Nice job there Digger ! That is one tiny ring. Makes me wonder if you had been swinging the f70 would you have dug the same exact targets ? Your finds always amaze me. Keep up the good work !

Nice job there Digger ! That is one tiny ring. Makes me wonder if you had been swinging the f70 would you have dug the same exact targets ? Your finds always amaze me. Keep up the good work !

Thanks!
I would like to think the F70 could have picked this up.
It does find really tiny stuff, I believe it is very capable of finding this type of jewelry or I would like to think so, anyway.
I need to air test this ring on the F70 and see.
I KNOW the Compadre can find micro jewelry of any kind and today was jewelry finding day so it got the nod.

Thanks!
I would like to think the F70 could have picked this up.
It does find really tiny stuff, I believe it is very capable of finding this type of jewelry or I would like to think so, anyway.
I need to air test this ring on the F70 and see.
I KNOW the Compadre can find micro jewelry of any kind and today was jewelry finding day so it got the nod.

I think the f70 would hit on it just wasn't sure if it would hit as hard as the compadre. Let us know how the air test turns out :grin:

Back
Top Bottom