Sept/Oct Highlights - Colonials, Silvers...

BB_in_Maine

Elite Member
Haven't posted new finds since my big colonial digs back in May... And didn't get out much due to work until the last couple of months, but I'm back in full 'swing' now... And back to a couple sites that just keep delivering amazing finds.

Highlights: Another half reale. My first intact colonial shoe buckle. A quite rare Maine Militia button (star). Another handful of old coppers including my first Classic Head LC. A very nice Barber quarter. A beautiful mongrammed silver spoon (that I was able to connect with an individual). My first two civil war tokens. And an Indian Head that was shot with a bullet. All finds with the AT Pro.

Hoping to make a strong finish to the year before the ground freezes up - keep you posted! Cheers, BB

Attachments

• Sept18Reale.jpg
    Sept18Reale.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 514
  • cw_token.jpg
    cw_token.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 501
  • fob.jpg
    fob.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 501
  • _BB21712.jpg
    _BB21712.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 504
  • _BB21715.jpg
    _BB21715.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 501
  • Oct18MD-2.jpg
    Oct18MD-2.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 484
  • Oct12MD-8.jpg
    Oct12MD-8.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 495
  • Oct12MD-7.jpg
    Oct12MD-7.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 496
  • Oct12MD-4.jpg
    Oct12MD-4.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 494
  • june2barber.jpg
    june2barber.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Oct18MD-3.jpg
    Oct18MD-3.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 492
  • Pur_Spoon.jpg
    Pur_Spoon.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 498
  • sept16-2.jpg
    sept16-2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 493
  • sept16-3.jpg
    sept16-3.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 489
  • Sept18.jpg
    Sept18.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 518
  • Sept21militia-2.jpg
    Sept21militia-2.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 505
Very nice!! Is that copper thing with a star in the middle a heel plate? I was wondering because i have the same one but with a heart in the middle . Happy hunting!

the early Maine militia button is the find that outshines them all , what a stunning button .:wow:

the early Maine militia button is the find that outshines them all , what a stunning button .:wow:

Thank you sir... :yes: and yes, that button had the major 'Wow' factor... what made it particularly interesting is that I invited a friend of mine to hunt the site with me and he found one, exact same pattern, a few months previously... So to find another was just pretty amazing. So it leads to the question - encampment, or lost from the same coat? No way to really know, though there certainly were militia movements in the area....

Very nice group of finds. Any makers marks on the back of the spoon? Any photos of the colonials? Would love to see more pics.

Very nice group of finds. Any makers marks on the back of the spoon? Any photos of the colonials? Would love to see more pics.

The makers mark is JA Webb with an arm holding a hammer. I believe Webb was a silversmith out of Baltimore. Spoon dates to 1820-1840, house where it was found was built in 1791 and the monogram matches the family who built the house.

As for the colonials, the reale and the buckle are the two pieces that would qualify... The following image is a selection of buttons, musketballs, clay pipe pieces, pottery shards and other items that have all come from this site and date from roughly 1750-1810. There is another drawer besides with the larger relics and yet another for all the coins! This is all from a plowed field so things have been quite turned around over the years but there is very little in the way of modern signals.

Attachments

• collection.jpg
    collection.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 321
Awesome condition on that reale, i'd guess someone turned it in to a necklace early on in it's circulating life...

Awesome condition on that reale, i'd guess someone turned it in to a necklace early on in it's circulating life...

Apparently they were also sewed into jacket liners as kind of a rainy day fund. I believe that's why so many holed coins are found - a lot of them had been sewed into clothing and the stitches eventually worn out against the hole edge and dropped... Just a guess.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom