First gold coin, merc and buf

ncwayne

After finding a silver Washington quarter and Rosie yesterday, I returned to the private campground today to see if I could find some more. Aside from clad, I got a good signal at about 8 inches that read dime on the F75SE. Dug a 1945 Merc.
Scanned the immediate area and got a nickel reading at 7 inches. Dug a buffalo nickel that I haven't been able to date yet.
The F75 was running nice and quiet today using boost process and 60 sensitivity and 6 disc. 2F tones. Got a nice signal - sounded good - with a reading around 50-53. Thought nickel. Dug about 3 inches and dragged the pinpointer through the dirt beside the hole and saw a yellow band showing through the dirt. Plucked it out and saw more yellow. Turned it over and saw a gold coin set into the face of the ring! At least, that's what I thought it was. Took a glove off and rubbed some of the dirt off the inside of the ring. Yep, reverse of coin showing through!
Wow! Neat, I thought. My number one bucket item for detecting has been a gold coin. I have thought about where to look for them. I've wondered - even started to post this morning; how do you detect for gold when so much junk IDs in the same range? Didn't post it because I figured I'd better get detecting while it was still a little bit cooler than it was going to be later in the day.

I'm glad I went.

The AT Pro was awesome yesterday, with the 5x8 coil. The F75SE couldn't have been any better behaved than it was today. I've been thinking about getting a Deus. Probably won't stop thinking about it until I have one. Unless Fisher (or somebody) comes out with a new machine that gives me second thoughts about the Deus. They'll probably do that AFTER I get a Deus <groan>.One thing's for sure. The machine that finds the most is the one you swing. And the best place to detect? Anywhere you can. You just never know.

The coin is a 1988 Saint-Gaudens $5. See http://goldeagleguide.com/1988-gold-eagle/ for details. The ring is stamped 14K.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P1000870.jpg
    P1000870.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • P1000864.jpg
    P1000864.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • P1000867.jpg
    P1000867.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 1,159
  • P1000868.jpg