First permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toochowed

I have read it is not allowed to detect in the city parks in the city I am in, so I emailed the Director of Parks to ask for special permission. They said no problem, and one of the parks in town dates back to 1851. Pretty excited. I have read of people being fined in that park in the past, but my written permission should be good!

Why don't you post your request and response? Sounds intriguing.

Sure! Here is what I wrote off the top of my head to the Director of Parks:

Mr. Redman,

Good afternoon, I located your contact information on your website. I wanted to reach out and inquire what the current rules and regulations are for Metal Detecting in Chaska City parks. This is a very fun hobby of mine, and most items are found within just a few inches. I dig in a way that lives little or no trace of anything ever being dug, and also throw away all garbage that I dig up. I am very permission oriented when it comes to detecting, so I wanted to reach out and personally ask if this is allowed in Chaska parks.

Thank you kindly for reading.

Jon

And here was his response within 1 day:

Jon,

It is fine if you search in city parks per the conditions that you follow as indicated in your email.
Thanks

That's how I do it too! Never been denied after asking first. They respect the fact that you asked and are more inclined to let their guard down when you explain what and how you do want you do.

I have read it is not allowed to detect in the city parks in the city I am in, so I emailed the Director of Parks to ask for special permission. They said no problem, and one of the parks in town dates back to 1851. Pretty excited. I have read of people being fined in that park in the past, but my written permission should be good!

Can you post the wording in the part that is in bold type above. That would give us a better picture of any policy/position change. Thank you.

toochowed,
I too would like to see the written park rule or regulation that made you think MDing was not allowed and which generated your request "for special permission".

Sure! Here is what I wrote off the top of my head to the Director of Parks:

Mr. Redman,

Good afternoon, I located your contact information on your website. I wanted to reach out and inquire what the current rules and regulations are for Metal Detecting in Chaska City parks. This is a very fun hobby of mine, and most items are found within just a few inches. I dig in a way that lives little or no trace of anything ever being dug, and also throw away all garbage that I dig up. I am very permission oriented when it comes to detecting, so I wanted to reach out and personally ask if this is allowed in Chaska parks.

Thank you kindly for reading.

Jon

And here was his response within 1 day:

Jon,

It is fine if you search in city parks per the conditions that you follow as indicated in your email.
Thanks

Doesn't look like an official e-mail, but I'm neutral at this point.

Excuse us for being skeptical but this is your first post in approximately 3 years.
Here is a quote from a post of yours approximately 3 years ago."I recently moved to Riverside County, CA " The only Chaska city parks I know of are in Minnesota. Your post count of 4 also leads to my skepticism . I will remain neutral at this point.

Excuse us for being skeptical but this is your first post in approximately 3 years.
Here is a quote from a post of yours approximately 3 years ago."I recently moved to Riverside County, CA " The only Chaska city parks I know of are in Minnesota. Your post count of 4 also leads to my skepticism . I will remain neutral at this point.

Who's "us" you're the only one that's skeptical, and what the hell are you skeptical about?? Because he asked for permission and wanted to share his experience with the forum?? Kemper what are you going to get out of him posting "the wording in the part that is in bold type above. That would give us a better picture of any policy/position change" other then something else for you to debate about?? The guy felt the need to ask permission so he did, but because he has 4 posts that makes you skeptical?? Well not everyone racks up 1000+ posts in a few months like you sir.. If you cant tell, im soo over your bs dude.. I tried ignoring you but i still see your nonsense when others quote you.. just cut it out, you're a grown man that flat out admtted you come on here and troll when you get bored.. You completely take advantage of the long rope the mods and admins give you to hang youself with here.. I can guarentee if this was any other forum you wouldve been long gone..

Good work on securing permission. The "don't ask" crew won't like it though...getting permission is supposed to be a nasty affair, full of mean and inept officials, certain "no" answers, detecting bans, etc. etc. :roll: Hence the questioning of your posts.

Nice to see someone inject a little reality into the subject and show that it ain't really all that difficult to get permission, and some of the people you meet along the way are in fact quite reasonable people. May you find 100 silvers! :D

Who's "us" you're the only one that's skeptical, and what the hell are you skeptical about?? because he asked for permission and wanted to share his experience with the forum?? Kemper what are you going to get out of him posting "the wording in the part that is in bold type above. That would give us a better picture of any policy/position change" other then something for you to debate about?? the guy felt the need to ask permission so he did, but because he has 4 posts that makes you skeptical?? well not everyone racks up 1000+ posts in a few months like you sir.. if you cant tell im soo over your bs dude.. i tried ignoring you but i still see your nonsense when others quote you.. just cut it out, you're a grown man that flat out admtted you come on here and troll when you get bored.. You completely take advantage of the long rope the mods and admins give you to hang youself with here.. I can guarentee if this was any other forum you wouldve been long gone..

Jay,
The 'US' probably refers to me...even though I would not have chosen the word 'skeptical'. I took the time to go to the Chaska, MN website in an attempt to find the actual regs that toochowed referred to in the original post. Do you have a problem with me trying to research the facts as described?

My intent was not to discredit...but to learn how the town had 'codified' the regulation and to read the actual wording the OP talked about. My position is and has always been: If it's legal, it's not illegal. My search on the towns website revealed that the Towns Park rules were not available on line for some reason. All other Town laws/regs. were available on line...so seemed odd. This is why I also asked toochowed about where he read it?

I believe it would be nice to know all the facts...don't you? I only have 200+ posts so I don't think the following applies to me: " well not everyone racks up 1000+ posts in a few months like you sir.. if you cant tell im soo over your bs dude.. i tried ignoring you but i still see your nonsense when others quote you.. just cut it out, you're a grown man that flat out admtted you come on here and troll when you get bored".

I think to ask toochowed where he "read it is not allowed to detect in the city parks in the city I am in" is fair...so you might keep you emotions/attitude/and assumption out of the discussion least you might get moderated yourself.:research:

Good work on securing permission. The "don't ask" crew won't like it though...getting permission is supposed to be a nasty affair, full of mean and inept officials, certain "no" answers, detecting bans, etc. etc. :roll: Hence the questioning of your posts.

stew,
Guess I'm part of the don't ask crew, eh? Actually, you might better describe my point of view as the 'don't ask if you don't need to crew' IMO. And, if it's not against the law, you don't need to ask for permission. Sorry to disappoint you but I don't think getting permission "is supposed to be a nasty affair, full of mean and inept officials, certain "no" answers, detecting bans, etc. etc. :roll:"...and the reality is that I'm pretty sure you don't care what I think. As for me, I like facts...do you care about facts?

Why are you questioning this member?? Maybe he moved since 2011.

Not sure if you were addressing me or Kemper...but my comments above will explain my reasons for asking the OP for further information. Just after the facts...seems to raise emotions by trying to get to the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom