New Orleans bottles

noisyshark

hello everyone,

first let me introduce myself - let's just say that i've been a "casual" treasure hunter over the past five years and have acquired quite a bottle collection (amongst other odds and ends) that i've fallen behind researching and identifying. i unfortunately just let hundreds of them go for probably far too cheap but still have a load of them with me that i want to continue researching and am reaching out for some help on a few!

i have a large collection of New Orleans hutch bottles. I found a document online to assist identifying Louisiana hutch bottles by Common, Rare and Scarce (of course i can't find it to link here) - . I found most all on the list, but a few of them appeared to have possible mistakes in the embossing. For example the photos below - it's supposed to be a C on the base and I'm pretty sure the G on one is a mistake. They are both:

CONSUMERS / S & M. WATER / MFC CO LTD / NEW ORLEANS / LA / THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD Base should read "C"

Questions - Does anyone know how much New Orleans Hutch bottles could go for, and does scarce, common and rare change the values? How about the mistake bottle?

What is the best outlet to fairly sell these or find honest values? Find an auctioneer?

I also have a few New Orleans pharmacy bottles that I cannot seem to find ANY information for online. I've photographed a few below.

First one: 4.5" CFC Crambarth / Canal Street Central Pharmacy / COR (wonder if that "c" was meant to be an "f") Canal & S. Prieur STS NO

Second: 5" American Drugstore / 1024 / Canal St / NO
I'd love to find the rarity/value of these as well, and of course, the history!

Third: 3" CFC CRAMBARTH / CANAL STREET / CENTRAL PHARMACY / NEW ORLEANS, LA

Sorry such a long thread.

Another one I've had no luck finding information on is a "Dr. Riche Battley." I've found some information about him in old text/records, but not the bottle.

All of these were bottles found in New Orleans. My main concern is to let them go before appreciating what the value may be or understanding the history, and I'm not sure who to trust when it comes to finding the values (as most people who know are buyers!).

Thanks to any and all who help and happy digging!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 696
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 657
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 676
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 632
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 666
Forgot to mention another bottle I can't seem to find information on. THOs K. Finlay New Orleans.

Having lived in NOLA for 8 years. I think you could sell them there on craigslist. You might try art in the park on Claiborne and Carrollton. Sat mornings - pair up with a vendor there. About 50 of them there.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

It really does all depend on condition and rarity. A good source is ebay, do a search of sold listings and you can get an idea of what different bottle go for. Remember any book or website that lists values is usually out of date. If its listed as rare but you have a dozen you just found, now they are down graded to uncommon. Most bottles regardless of where they are from are common, of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Man those are cool. I've never heard of those places, but then again I'm sure they have been closed for a while.

from what im seeing all the ones you posted are common. bottles But have some age from what I can tell on line and by looks of them these bottles are all from with in the same time period of 1880 to 1910 the blob top hutch bottles you should be able to get 10 to 15$ each on and the medicines are a little harder to price cause they are little more collectable then the others exspecialy to locals in the area's of the pharmacy below is a really good link to use to id Age/type/rarity/ and makers. hope this helps you out.

http://www.sha.org/bottle/typing.htm

Basemarks are always different on the bottom of bottles. A bottle company would have a few "cells" of bottle makers working on bottles. one cell would could be A, while another is B, C. H. G

On average a Mint condition hutch can go for 10-20$. Rarity does add some value to the right collector.

SM Water Hutch sold for 13$ on ebay. in Feb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-soda-bo...451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdc61337b

I do see a few NO blob tops selling for 40-50 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Antique-Pre...orleans+bottles&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Your best bet to maximize your profit is by putting them on ebay. and auctioneer takes 15-20% from the buyer, and 10-30% from the seller. so if a bottle sells for 100$ on the market, the buyer at the auction knows he has to pay 20% so he wants to pay 80$, and when the auctioneer then takes his 20% from you the seller your now getting 64$ for a 100$ bottle.

Good Luck

Having lived in NOLA for 8 years. I think you could sell them there on craigslist. You might try art in the park on Claiborne and Carrollton. Sat mornings - pair up with a vendor there. About 50 of them there.

Option 2 is craigslist in new orleans. Collectors do look!!
I sold some turn of the century watches and received a good price.
People there love the city and anything to do with the history.

Back
Top Bottom